anybody heard about this school

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

anybody heard about this school

hi, guys. i'm a newbie, and this is my first post. please don't kill me. i'm starting with a tae kwon do school, in glen rock, new jersey, stevens taekwondo. i enjoy the instructor, and it doesn't seem like an obvious mcdojo, but if anyone is familiar, and has an opinion, let me know. i understand there's a lot of bias against tae kwon do on this site, but please try to be objective.

Originally posted by dturtleman
    hi, guys. i'm a newbie, and this is my first post. please don't kill me. i'm starting with a tae kwon do school, in glen rock, new jersey, stevens taekwondo. i enjoy the instructor, and it doesn't seem like an obvious mcdojo, but if anyone is familiar, and has an opinion, let me know. i understand there's a lot of bias against tae kwon do on this site, but please try to be objective.
    Is this the school you are considering?

http://www.stevenstaekwondo.com/

And it's not exactly bias against TKD, it's more about bias about bullshido most TKD teach.

Comment

yup, that's the school.

Comment

I'd advise take your money and drive littler further out and go here...

http://www.armlock.com/

Elmwood Park, NJ. BJJ and Judo.

Comment

babo78,
          are you training at performance right now, or have you trained here before?

Comment

Originally posted by babo78
            I'd advise take your money and drive littler further out and go here...

http://www.armlock.com/

Elmwood Park, NJ. BJJ and Judo.
            I would bet that 6 months under a Royler Gracie Black Belt would be all you need to destroy most if not all of the BB's at Steve's TKD. JMO

Listen to babo78.

Comment

Its not so much a bias against TKD as much as it is zero tolerance for TKD nutriders who refuse to recognize its limitations.

What are your goals, or what do want to get out of Martial Arts?

Comment

i just want to learn an effective system of self-defense. i read up a little bit on bjj, but i don't feel comfortable with it, as you don't use strikes.

Comment

Originally posted by GoldenJonas
                  I would bet that 6 months under a Royler Gracie Black Belt would be all you need to destroy most if not all of the BB's at Steve's TKD. JMO

Listen to babo78.
                  Not necessarily, they could have anti-grappling classes too:toothy9: . Seriously though, go with the BJJ option, it's much better in the long run.

Comment

In that case go take judo. As time/money permits find yourself a striking class preferably along the lines of MT or Boxing. A good FMA class would be ideal though imo.

Edit: If you have bjj close by thats good as well.

Comment

Originally posted by dturtleman
                      babo78,
                      are you training at performance right now, or have you trained here before?
                      No to either. I just did simple googling and did quick background check on TKD dojang then I googled MA schools near your location and surfed the websites and checked them.

BJJ black belt and Olympic Judo, you can't go wrong with that. There's Muay Thai if you are concerned about striking.

As for self-defense, I'm assuming you are male (from man on ure id). If not, grappling is better form of self-defense anyway compared to striking since most sexual attacks on female lead to ground or in some kind of clinch/hug situation.

As for TKD, that place looks like typical TKD dojo catering to children to keep it's door's open. Which probably means, stuff you are going to learn will probably help you get your ass kicked. Typical TKD syndrome will be: hands down, bunny hop, speedy point sparring kick.

Anyway, even if you don't like BJJ and want to do striking...once again. I'm going to say that place has Muay Thai. And later when you realize you need grappling skills, you can just enroll in BJJ or Judo or both there and make your life significantly easier rather than going to multiple schools.

Comment

Originally posted by Stormrider
                        In that case go take judo. As time/money permits find yourself a striking class preferably along the lines of MT or Boxing. A good FMA class would be ideal though imo.

Edit: If you have bjj close by thats good as well.
                        The school I recommended offered BJJ by black belt, Judo by Olympian, and legit Muay Thai.

Comment

I have heard of this school myself and, having carefully weighed your options for you, I would recommend that you do not attend the aforementioned TKD school.

You're welcome sir

Comment

Originally posted by babo78
                            The school I recommended offered BJJ by black belt, Judo by Olympian, and legit Muay Thai.
                            Then its all good. I just didn't click the link to check it out.:mblah05:

To the original poster: If you have a school like this near you then go there now and train hard. Don't dick around at a family tkd center.

Comment

Originally posted by Stormrider
                              Then its all good. I just didn't click the link to check it out.:mblah05:

To the original poster: If you have a school like this near you then go there now and train hard. Don't dick around at a family tkd center.
                              I'm actually kind of jealous. What are the probability that a person live within 15? min. driving distance of school that has BJJ black belt (from Royler Gracie), Olympic Judoka...best of stand and ground game. Plus Muay Thai if needed.

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                              X