Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

BJJ

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    BJJ

    Hello all. Haven't been around for a while, turns out bullshido takes up a bit more time than i can afford if i wanna pass my degree. I thought I'd see what people think about a query I've had for a while now. We all know there's plenty of shit teachers out there, ESPECIALLY in TMA, but what i wanna know is about BJJ...

    What are people's experience with BJJ instructors relating to their competence in the art and as teachers?

    #2
    I've had nothing but great instruction. Others haven't been so lucky. Hopefully they took their $ elsewhere.

    Comment


      #3
      I've been lucky to have fantastic instruction for BJJ. Between the two blue belts (both now purple) who introduced me to the art, and my current instructor, Peter de Been, I can honestly say I've no cause for complaint whatsoever.

      Comment


        #4
        I have had nothing but great instruction and open minds. Teachers who cross train in boxing/wrestling/MT/kickboxing.

        But every cart is going to have some broken eggs, I am sure if we dig far enough and deep enough we can find some.

        The thing is, the regular randori and competition of Jiu-Jitsu lets us lose enough on the mat that we dont develop into ego-maniacs easily. Even the phenoms started as white belts and lost a lot to get to the higher levels. Even BJ Penn can lose to GSP.
        "Sifu, I"m niether - I'm a fire dragon so don't fuck with me!"

        Comment


          #5
          Originally posted by jackal
          What are people's experience with BJJ instructors relating to their competence in the art and as teachers?
          Once we started to solve the language barrier, no problems.

          Comment


            #6
            As long as your teacher is listed on BJJ.org (For Example : http://bjj.org/a/people/linton-dave.html, I went to his school for part of my trainiing), your more then likely get some great instruction.

            Comment


              #7
              KageKaze, Do you know Dave Linton?

              Comment


                #8
                Originally posted by KageKaze
                As long as your teacher is listed on BJJ.org (For Example : http://bjj.org/a/people/linton-dave.html, I went to his school for part of my trainiing), your more then likely get some great instruction.
                have a list for each state? because u have to click on each link to see where they teach

                Comment


                  #9
                  cool thank u

                  Comment


                    #10
                    Jackak where about in Australia are you ?

                    I maybe able to point you in the right direction.
                    Hannibal: The sworn enemy of dishonest politicians, source of entertainment on Bullshido and newly appointed Office Linebacker. Terry Tait ain't got shit on me !!!!

                    Comment


                      #11
                      there was this guy that we recently kicked out, Brent Browning. watch out for this guy if you live in texas/california.

                      he lied to us saying that he was a pro fighter. motherfucker has a damn Brazilian flag tatooed on his calf. he doesn't even know BJJ, and he sits there and tries to coach it.
                      he is a pathological lier, but not a very good one. there is a vid on youtube in which he is teaching crappling to some new girl at our school.
                      im glad the school owner kicked his dumb ass out of the school.

                      Comment


                        #12
                        Originally posted by broken fingers
                        there was this guy that we recently kicked out, Brent Browning. watch out for this guy if you live in texas/california.

                        he lied to us saying that he was a pro fighter. motherfucker has a damn Brazilian flag tatooed on his calf. he doesn't even know BJJ, and he sits there and tries to coach it.
                        he is a pathological lier, but not a very good one. there is a vid on youtube in which he is teaching crappling to some new girl at our school.
                        im glad the school owner kicked his dumb ass out of the school.
                        link to video?
                        Knowing is not enough, you must apply...
                        ...Willing is not enough you must do
                        ~Bruce Lee

                        Comment


                          #13
                          Originally posted by jackal
                          Hello all. Haven't been around for a while, turns out bullshido takes up a bit more time than i can afford if i wanna pass my degree. I thought I'd see what people think about a query I've had for a while now. We all know there's plenty of shit teachers out there, ESPECIALLY in TMA, but what i wanna know is about BJJ...

                          What are people's experience with BJJ instructors relating to their competence in the art and as teachers?
                          I have had experience with two instructors. The first one was very good, but never drilled techniques. He wasn't very enthusiastic about teaching and was strictly no gi. His class was all rolling (starting from the knees) and it was always balls to the wall. You were hurting after every class. It was pretty sloppy.

                          The second one is a purple belt under Renzo Gracie. Half the class is divided between drilling takedowns, drilling techniques, and drilling situations. The rest of the class is rolling, but starting from stand-up. This class is strictly gi. I prefer the second one because I like learning technique rather than just going all out and picking up sloppy techinique that relies on out muscling the other guy.

                          Both guys are legit, I just prefer the structure I get with the second one.

                          Comment


                            #14
                            Originally posted by Da SHreDdA
                            have a list for each state? because u have to click on each link to see where they teach
                            Try http://bjj.org/academies/ ... google can do the trick as well.

                            I had nothing but praise for my former BJJ instructor (Pablo Popovitch). It's a bit beyond my $$$ ability, but the Popovitch's school is excellent. I'm not aware of any other school in South Florida that has so many BJJ classes available in the morning and at night almost 6 days of the week. They are fucking cool IMO.
                            Read this for flexibility and injury prevention, this, this and this for supplementation, this on grip conditioning, and this on staph. New: On strenght standards, relationships and structural balance. Shoulder problems? Read this.

                            My crapuous vlog and my blog of training, stuff and crap. NEW: Me, Mrs. Macho and our newborn baby.

                            New To Weight Training? Get the StrongLifts 5x5 program and Rippetoe's "Starting Strength, 2nd Ed". Wanna build muscle/gain weight? Check this article. My review on Tactical Nutrition here.

                            t-nation - Dissecting the deadlift. Anatomy and Muscle Balancing Videos.

                            The street argument is retarded. BJJ is so much overkill for the street that its ridiculous. Unless you're the idiot that picks a fight with the high school wrestling team, barring knife or gun play, the opponent shouldn't make it past double leg + ground and pound - Osiris

                            Comment


                              #15
                              I train under a carlson gracie brown belt. Its the best martial instruction I've ever had. We work hard and host local shows so fighters have a place to fight. Our instructor actually spent years petitioning the city to allow MMA fights. We are just about to host our second MMA event in May. Plus we've had times when we got to train with carlson, carlson jr, and stephen bonner (I'm still ticked I missed training with him). The guys who train at our club are some of the coolest guys I've ever met.

                              I'm a little guy on the totem pole, I'm just now starting to understand the basics and not just get wrecked every night. I love training there and can't wait until I feel i've reached the point where i'm ready to take a fight.
                              "a martial art that has no rules is nothing but violence" - Kenji Tomiki

                              Comment

                              Collapse

                              Edit this module to specify a template to display.

                              Working...
                              X