Hello Bullshido...-Goju in Toronto???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hello Bullshido...-Goju in Toronto???

Hello Bullshido, well this is my virgin post, so I figure I'll start my Bullshido career with a question. Does anybody out there hail from the Toronto area, and if they do could they recomend a good Goju or Shotokan school (preferably Goju?) Also has anybody had experience with the Yamanaka Budo Life Center? or Wallace Platt and the CMAC organization....any info/stories/suggestions would be greatly appreciated as I am a complete noob to living in T.O. as well as Bullshido...Thanx p.s. sorry if this post is in the wrong section, but whats the point of being a noob if you can't fuck up once in a while!!!

There's a CMAC Goju school at Yonge & St. Clair. I've only been there a once or twice and I was too young to realistically evaluate their training methods. As for Yamanaka, I have not heard him mentioned in a positive context.

Any particular reason you want to stick with Goju? My school offers all the Shotokan and BJJ you can stand for the same price most schools will charge you for three nights a week of sub-standard teaching.
    Originally posted by The Wastrel
    I think the forum's traditionally light-handed approach to moderation has become untenable.

Comment

thanx for the reply, r u located close to downtown t.o. by any chance?

Comment

Don't do it.

I would avoid the CMAC. I didn't train in toronto, rather a CMAC school in Michigan, the organization is a huge Mcdojo. I tested for my shodan with my instructor for a fee of 150 dollars and then found out that I had to go test with Wallace Platt in toronto for it to be fully recognized. This carried a fee of around $500 or $800 dollars( I can't really remember which). I couldn't afford it so I was never really recognized.

Try doing a search for CMAC and Wallace Platt over at E-Budo.com. You'll find out a lot about the organization and how its run.

Comment

thanx for the advice D Dempsey, I did a search on CMAC and found a lot of info, and I'm pretty sure it's not something I can afford (especially as a student) and some of the stuff I found seems to lean too far to the commercial side for my tastes, I guess the search continues... Shuma-Gorath where did u say your school was and what is it called. Thanks everyone I appreciate your help!

Comment

Now that your style field lists ITF I have two possible recommendations. Where are you located and are you looking for Shotokan or ITF TKD? Both schools have the same excellent BJJ program.
            I think the forum's traditionally light-handed approach to moderation has become untenable.

Comment

I wouldn't mind trying out some shotokan actually, I go to York University so I'm up around in that area(looking for a new place)...but I don't mind the travel time, a place that had shotokan and BJJ would be ideal for me, but could I have the ITF and BJJ name as well, thanx again...sorry for all the questions

Comment

Shah Franco Martial Arts
                Prof. Shah Franco
                3385 A Yonge Street
                Toronto, Ontario, Canada
                M4N 2M8
                Phone 1-416-256-9952
                Shotokan M-W-F 7PM, BJJ every day 12PM and 8PM

Costa Academy of Mixed Martial Arts
                Prof. Marco Costa
                1309B Dundas Street West
                Toronto, Ontario, Canada
                Phone 1-416-823-0614
                I think the TKD program is on hold here, but there is kickboxing (Muay Thai and TKD-based) M-W-F at 7PM and BJJ every night at 8PM

Tell them Batman sent you.

Comment

Do you live anywhere near this place.If you're interested in something with ,ah!...More contact?
                  http://www.osukyokushin.cjb.net/
                  [img=http://img205.imageshack.us/img205/2364/8026700123940loij9.th.jpg]

"God damn America" --Muammar al-Gaddafi

Comment

Awesome I will be definitely be checking those places out, I like the looks of Kyokushin -bull stories and all(but I'm sure that's on another thread) thx 4 the help

Comment

Originally posted by Canuckyokushin
                      Do you live anywhere near this place.If you're interested in something with ,ah!...More contact?
                      http://www.osukyokushin.cjb.net/
                      I've seen them train. The level of contact in sparring was the same as the Shotokan class that preceded it. That's not a knock against the former, but an endorsement of the latter.

If you're looking for Shotokan in this town then your choices essentially boil down to Sensei Okuyama, his best friend and two of his students.

Comment

The 'York Academy of Martial Arts' has Goju and BJJ. Although, I not sure as to what rank the head instructor holds in bjj. I used to train at their old location, but quit because they started to become a mcdojo. But it's thanks to them that I was introduced to grappling.

www.yorkama.com

Comment

Originally posted by Shuma-Gorath
                          I've seen them train. The level of contact in sparring was the same as the Shotokan class that preceded it. That's not a knock against the former, but an endorsement of the latter.

If you're looking for Shotokan in this town then your choices essentially boil down to Sensei Okuyama, his best friend and two of his students.
                          That could explain why their fighters don't seem to go beyond the first round of eliminations at our tournaments.LOL!Oh!I'm sure they are a good school.In fact I've met some of the poeple from there and they seem cool.

Comment

I have a feeling they're handicapped by the same OAC rules that keep MMA down and thus have to travel out of province for every single competition. When I visited the school one of their fighters was travelling to Montreal the next day to fight.

Comment

When you said 'visited',do you mean take up a class or do you just gawk at the mothers until they shoo you away?Because you you interested in trying out a class.By all means go ahead.More meat for the grinder is what I say.

How is the OAC rules.Those it affect even how much contact is allowed in school sparring?I really don't know any of this.

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                              X