Intro?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Intro?

Thought I'd make a post. You probably won't see any other posts from me though since I'm a lurker, so anyway sup?

Please tell us about the martial arts you practice.

Comment

Introduction threads are not required on Bullshido.

Comment

Duuuh it already says he's a runner

Comment

He may just be being sarcastic.

Comment

Then maybe he should put that as his style

Comment

Actually we ask people to use the name of the martial art they are training in, if they are training. I use research ryu only because I'm not training right now.

Comment

Haha, I like that.. research ryu. Yeah, right now I don't know any martial arts. I've just been looking up various martial arts which I hopefully plan on training in someday. So, I guess I'm also research ryu. But I think Running is a better description of my current "fighting style" hahaha

The only martial art I've ever done was some McDojo Karate class that was offered as an "extracurricular activity" in elementry school when I was like 7 or 8 years old. Despite being that young, I still knew that what they were teaching me was total crap and I never took any sort of martial arts class since. Now that I'm older, I have a different view of things. I now know the truth about "McDojos" thanks to the internet and I'm willing to take a martial arts class once I can find somewhere that actually teaches something useful.

A few mouths ago I found out about the Carlson Gracie Team which taught classes in Naperville in some place called "MATS". Sadly, Carlson Gracie died recently (R.I.P.) and the classes are no longer offered. I really wanted to learn BJJ...

This site is a really good source of information. I love how brutally honest most of the users are and people generally keep it "real" when discussing MAs. Before I found this site, I made the mistake of thinking Aikido would be effective for self defense, but thanks to you guys I realized how stupid and ineffective it really is. Anyway, keep up the good work, you guys are awesome.
                Last edited by machrider; 4/05/2006 4:25pm, .

Comment

Go to muay thai first, your roots should always be muay thai!!!

That way you can challenge me for the god of muay thai title and avenge your family

Comment

One thing that's made me interested in martial arts again is Kyokushin. I've been reading all about the founder, Mas Oyama and the history of kyokushin and I'm really interested by all of it.

Mas Oyama's life especially is really interesting. I know that some people dispute whether or not he fought against bulls but to me anyone who has the balls to go up against a freakin bull no matter what state it is in is pretty damn amazing to me.

Not just that though, but another thing I like is the fact that Kyokushin actually encourages full contact sparring and has proven it's effectivness several times in actual combat.

I've been watching several YouTube videos of K-1 tournaments and such and seeing Kyokushin in action has made me want to learn it even more. Not just Kyokushin, but Muay Thai also kicks a lot of ass. I'm just kidding when I say this but I like how Kyokushin uses traditional training methods and how the people are all like "Osu." I dunno, but that's just so cool for some reason. But like I said, I'm kidding it's not like I'd choose Kyokushin over MT or any other martial art over another based on things like that. Hahaha

I just wish I could find a place that actually teaches the hardcore full contact non McDojo shit (like Kyokushin or MT or anything else) though. Hell, it doesn't even have to be full contact to be honest. If I could just find a place that wasn't a McDojo that'd be enough. There are way too many McDojo's located near Subway and McDonalds resturaunts claiming to be something that they're not everywhere I go.

edit: Well, I did find one place on google. There is a Dojo that teaches Shidokan karate. Apprently, Shidokan is not only Kyokushin but Muay Thai and Jujitsu as well! The founder of the style is Yoshiji Soeno, another interesting fighter that I've read all about (he even inspired the character Ryu from Street Fighter). The person who teaches the classes is a guy named Yasunori Matsumoto who seems to be a professional fighter who has competed in some full contact and kick boxing tournaments. I really want to go there and I would if it wern't for the fact that the Dojo is located on the other side of Illinois. I seriously doubt I could afford traveling that far, not to mention having to pay a lot of money for the classes as well. Well, back to the drawing board. Looks like I'm still research ryu for now hahaha, damn it...
                    Last edited by machrider; 4/05/2006 5:06pm, .

Comment

It's quite hard to dispute the fact of Oyama fighting bulls when there's a video of it.
                      Unless I'm mistaken.

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                      X