No announcement yet.

Kyokushinkai vs Muay Thai

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Karate fighter beat top thai fighters in the 60s with an triple aerial kick?

WTF!?

Comment

Originally posted by elbowtko
      Karate fighter beat top thai fighters in the 60s with an triple aerial kick?

WTF!?
      That was Mas Oyama. He lived to train so he does not count.

Comment

Originally posted by Emevas
        We're gonna learn about the word "sanction" today.

And even if things have changed, that's 1 death compared to...thousands?
        There have been at least three known deaths in MMA.

Comment

Originally posted by schuyler
          Seattle Kyokushin students pay less then $15 a month (of course we have no overhead except equipment) were-as I pay (paid) almost $120 a month for MT training (http://www.mkgseattle.com/page.asp?content_id=7164). In my 7 years as a KK practitioner i've never been to a dojo that charges anything close to that. I guess I shouldn't say I pay for the MT training anymore, the club doesn't do sparring so I'm finishing my remaining month and moving on.
          Huh ?

A Kyokushin dojo that charges $15- per month. That is damn cheap !!!!

But a ma muay thai gym that does no sparring ? Bullshido infects everything it seems....
          Hannibal: The sworn enemy of dishonest politicians, source of entertainment on Bullshido and newly appointed Office Linebacker. Terry Tait ain't got shit on me !!!!

Comment

no overhead is bliss....

Comment

Originally posted by RogueSamurai
              There have been at least three known deaths in MMA.
              I know of one. Douglas Dedge, who fought in Eastern Europe with a preexisting medical condition. Name the two other cases please.

Comment

Originally posted by Hannibal
                Huh ?

A Kyokushin dojo that charges $15- per month. That is damn cheap !!!!

But a ma muay thai gym that does no sparring ? Bullshido infects everything it seems....
                But the seattle branch only meets like twice a week. You get what you pay for.

Comment

Originally posted by super kick
                  But the seattle branch only meets like twice a week. You get what you pay for.

True, true.

My Kyokushin dojo charges $70 per month. But its a full time place. They run classes 6 days per week. If you want you can train 3 hours per day, 6 days per week - I'm serious.

But still $15- per month for Kyokushin is awsome. The cheapest martial art I've come across in Sydney is Judo. They only ask for $7- per lesson. But $15- per month ? If I'm ever in Seatle, I know where to go.
                  Hannibal: The sworn enemy of dishonest politicians, source of entertainment on Bullshido and newly appointed Office Linebacker. Terry Tait ain't got shit on me !!!!

Comment

cheapest ive seen is 20 bucks for half a year at my old judo dojo but that was only twice a week. although, that was twice a week for as long as you wanted, which ended up being about 3 hours each time

where i learn MT I pay a yearly fee of 450 bucks, which is uh...30 something a month i think. 6 days a week. only stupid people are in kickboxing for the money.

Comment

Actually John Bluming is demonstrably wrong in several points in that interview.

There are photos of the Nakamura vs Tan Salen fight and photos of the fight bills in Nakamuras autobiography. Bluming wasn't there. His commentary about tying Fujihira up with his belt is also crap. He later says Fujihira threw his MT opponent with Ippon Seionage several times - for a guy who "knew no judo" he was apparently able to throw an experienced clinch fighter easily.

Nakamura was also a Judo dan grade with tournament wins, and one of the first to do the 100 man kumite.

Checking dates and other info shows Bluming is either mistaken, or deliberately being misleading. Or senile. If I can dig out the book I'll post pics of teh playbills - someone who speaks Thai can translate them for us.

The challenge matches in the 60s are the only well docuemented ones (Fujihira won by a KO from headbutt and Nakamura from KO by body kick, with Kurosaki losing to a TKO from bleeding btw). The matches Oyama did are the reason KK kick with their shins and use knees, elbows and clinching.

Ikken - PM me or email me - [email protected] - you should come down down and do a couple of free fight classes at the club I train at - give you some free experience in KK so you can criticise from the inside. We have guys who have trained with Filho, guys who are multiple internatational and Australasion champs etc. Nice friendly atmosphere too. Oh, not sure what you were on about with the shin blocking - we check low roundhosues with our shins as well.

The no head punch ting is a weakness, but most KK clubs encourage cross training - you need gear that is appropriate to train fists to the head, and the gloves ruin body punches. I've done a bit of boxing and lots of sparring with ehad shots to help make up for the lack. All rulesets have a weakness or several. Most if not all KK fighters are aware of the weakness and take steps to adapt or learn to work around it. Too many boxers and MT fighters aren't aware of or won't acknowledge the weaknesses in their rulesets and don't take the time to learn to counter them.

We had 3 Muay Thai fighters in our last tournament - and because of the change in gear they did some silly things - one bloke slipped around a flurry of punches and when he went low covered his head with his hands and copped a knee to the head and was KTFO - if he had had gloves on he would have been fine, but the lack of the pillowy goodness gave him a hell of a nasty surprise. Rulesets always require compromise - its the price we pay to be able to train regularly.
                      Sociopaths are people too.

Comment

Vile.

Was that tournament in Auckland by any chance ?

Comment

Originally posted by Vile
                          Ikken - PM me or email me - [email protected] - you should come down down and do a couple of free fight classes at the club I train at - give you some free experience in KK so you can criticise from the inside. We have guys who have trained with Filho, guys who are multiple internatational and Australasion champs etc. Nice friendly atmosphere too. Oh, not sure what you were on about with the shin blocking - we check low roundhosues with our shins as well.
                          yeah i know you do- hannibal was claiming in another thread that shin blocking was stupid and that he didnt do it. typical hannibal idiocy. you guys in auckland? cos thats really about as far as i can go, i dont have a car and really cant afford a bus trip. not at the moment anyway.

All rulesets have a weakness or several. Most if not all KK fighters are aware of the weakness and take steps to adapt or learn to work around it. Too many boxers and MT fighters aren't aware of or won't acknowledge the weaknesses in their rulesets and don't take the time to learn to counter them.
                          dont mistake me when i take the piss out of hannibal, i have a lot of respect for kyokushin except for the fact that hannibal takes it.

i think the biggest weakness in muay thai is the shorts we wear. too much chance of a nut falling out imo.

Comment

Originally posted by Ikken Hisatsu

i think the biggest weakness in muay thai is the shorts we wear. too much chance of a nut falling out imo.

Sometimes during stretches, our thaiboxing instructors nuts would be in plain view...
                            Ranked #9 internationally at 118lbs by WIKBA http://www.womenkickboxing.com/wikba...rch%202009.htm

Comment

thats true, I'm always scared that when I do crunches and I put my legs up high people can see my nuts...

And then I look in the mirror... =(

Comment

Err, wear something underneath?

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                                X