No announcement yet.

Kyokushinkai vs Muay Thai

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Most Boxing Commisions (not all though) have done away with the standing 8 count for professional bouts. Its still used often in amateur bouts though.

Comment

One of the guys at my gym had been doing muay thai for a number of years and had something like 20 pro fights. He had to retire due to his ribs getting broken repeatedly.

He's currently training for MMA.
      Ranked #9 internationally at 118lbs by WIKBA http://www.womenkickboxing.com/wikba...rch%202009.htm

Comment

"And before you argue with ME let me tell you I know a guy who recieved a broken collar bone from a MMA tournament. Previously he had trained in Muay thai and the worst injury he recieved was a broken nose and pulled muscles."

Don't forget, was he fighting/training under full Muay Thai rules?

Does MMA allow elbows (using the sharp end, I heard UFC allows forearm only to prevent fast TKOs )

Under Full Muay Thai(which is what the website is refering to) rules you can expect some major injuries...

Comment

I am under the impression he was training under full Muay Thai rules. Off the top of my head I'm not 100% certain but I can find out.
          Hannibal: The sworn enemy of dishonest politicians, source of entertainment on Bullshido and newly appointed Office Linebacker. Terry Tait ain't got shit on me !!!!

Comment

In regards to the dangers of MMA versus Muay Thai, how many folks have died in sanctioned MT matches vs MMA? (I'll give you a hint, MMA=0). Hell, what about just plain old sanctioned boxing matches?
            "Emevas,
            You're a scrapper, I like that."-Ronin69

Comment

Originally posted by Emevas
              In regards to the dangers of MMA versus Muay Thai, how many folks have died in sanctioned MT matches vs MMA? (I'll give you a hint, MMA=0). Hell, what about just plain old sanctioned boxing matches?

Hang on. Are you sure about this ?

Wasn't there an artcile on Bullshido 6 months ago about a guy who died in a MMA match in Korea ?
              Hannibal: The sworn enemy of dishonest politicians, source of entertainment on Bullshido and newly appointed Office Linebacker. Terry Tait ain't got shit on me !!!!

Comment

there was a guy who died in an unsanctioned bout i think. not the same thing. although thats a bullshit arguement anyway considering how many MMA events there are compared to muay thai.

Comment

Originally posted by Hannibal
                  Hang on. Are you sure about this ?

Wasn't there an artcile on Bullshido 6 months ago about a guy who died in a MMA match in Korea ?
                  We're gonna learn about the word "sanction" today.

And even if things have changed, that's 1 death compared to...thousands?
                  "Emevas,
                  You're a scrapper, I like that."-Ronin69

Comment

I dunno about thousands... I remember hearing somewhere there's something like 12 deaths a year in boxing. I'd actually be surprised if there were as many deaths in muay thai as there are in boxing since there aren't as many rounds-people don't get punched in the head as much. There are probably still quite a few more boxing matches than MMA matches though I reckon. Probably more muay thai matches too.
                    Ranked #9 internationally at 118lbs by WIKBA http://www.womenkickboxing.com/wikba...rch%202009.htm

Comment

Getting back to the topic at hand of Kyokushin vs Muay Thai.

This is one of the reasons I chose Kyokushin over Muay Thai. Its a solid full contact striking art, yet they have taken out punching to the head which is good. Gives me more brain cells to use at work.

The other, Kyokushin was cheaper. And I still get to yell kia......

Comment

Originally posted by Hannibal
                        The other, Kyokushin was cheaper. And I still get to yell kia......
                        We've already determine that you pay just as much for Kyokushin and Judo as you would have for MT and BJJ. So shut the fuck up about prices already.

I see your point about not getting punched in the head though. Clearly you don't have many brain cells to spare.

Comment

how many times do you have to state that? seriously every time the subject comes up that is your reason and you have to state it over and over. pretty sure youve already mentioned it a couple of times in this thread. whatever makes you feel better.

Comment

Seattle Kyokushin students pay less then $15 a month (of course we have no overhead except equipment) were-as I pay (paid) almost $120 a month for MT training (http://www.mkgseattle.com/page.asp?content_id=7164). In my 7 years as a KK practitioner i've never been to a dojo that charges anything close to that. I guess I shouldn't say I pay for the MT training anymore, the club doesn't do sparring so I'm finishing my remaining month and moving on.

Comment

Hannibal doesn't live in the states.

Comment

Okay....

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                                X