Kyokushinkai vs Muay Thai

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kyokushinkai vs Muay Thai

First of all, I know there are threads containing references to this, but I can't find a definite answer anywhere. Did Mas Oyama and Yoshiji Soeno really fight and defeat Thai fighters "Black Cobra", and "Reiba"? There are a few articles here and there but no pictures or coments from the men themselves.

I do know for a fact that Mas Oyama was the first to take a team of Karate fighters from Japan to take on Thailands to Muay Tai fighters and they did quite well. This was not recent. It happened 30 years ago I think.
    Hannibal: The sworn enemy of dishonest politicians, source of entertainment on Bullshido and newly appointed Office Linebacker. Terry Tait ain't got shit on me !!!!

Comment

Originally posted by odacon
      First of all, I know there are threads containing references to this, but I can't find a definite answer anywhere. Did Mas Oyama and Yoshiji Soeno really fight and defeat Thai fighters "Black Cobra", and "Reiba"? There are a few articles here and there but no pictures or coments from the men themselves.
      It is a fact that Oyama, Soeno, and Terutomo went to Thailand and fought many Thai fighters. The actual names of the fighters is kind of hard to verifiy since BLACK COBRA and REIBA were most likely nicknames and pple change them or forget them.
      ______
      Xiao Ao Jiang Hu Zhi Dong Fang Bu Bai (Laughing Proud Warrior Invincible Asia) Dark Emperor of Baji!!!

RIP SOLDIER

Didn't anyone ever tell him a fat man could never be a ninja
      -Gene, GODHAND

You can't practice Judo just to win a Judo Match! You practice so that no matter what happens, you can win using Judo!
      The key to fighting two men at once is to be much tougher than both of them.
      -Daniel Tosh

Comment

Any pictures of those matches? I know it was in the fifties but so was Kimura/Gracie, and there was even video of that. In fact, are there any pics of Oyama in action when he was young? Apart from against bulls of course.

Comment

i could see a good Kyokushin guy doing well against a MT guy. i didnt know there were challenge matches though.

Comment

Yeah, apparently the only karateka who accepted were Oyama's guys... or so the story goes.

Comment

Any pictures of those matches? I know it was in the fifties but so was Kimura/Gracie, and there was even video of that. In fact, are there any pics of Oyama in action when he was young? Apart from against bulls of course.
              If you follow this search through, you should find a few short videos of Oyama:

http://www.altavista.com/video/resul...mvd=all&stq=20

They usually show him doing kata, hitting a makiwara, or beating up blackbelts (as a middle-aged man).
              Martial Arts and Philosophy: Beating and Nothingness
              click here to order on Amazon

Comment

http://crane.50megs.com/index6w.htm
                カンフー

Comment

Originally posted by LORD ASIA
                  It is a fact that Oyama, Soeno, and Terutomo went to Thailand and fought many Thai fighters. The actual names of the fighters is kind of hard to verifiy since BLACK COBRA and REIBA were most likely nicknames and pple change them or forget them.
                  Apparently this is kind of an issue with fighters in Thailand and certain ranking systems. It seems most of the fighters generally just go by ring names (which often change) and so orginazations like WIKBA and what not rarely tend to give out rankings to fighters in Thailand.
                  Ranked #9 internationally at 118lbs by WIKBA http://www.womenkickboxing.com/wikba...rch%202009.htm

Comment

Watch K-1 if you want to see Kyokishin VS Muay Thai matches. Most of the KK fighters do boxing or MT with it though due to the lack of headpunches in their art so its not strictly style VS style.

Comment

Originally posted by RogueSamurai
                      Watch K-1 if you want to see Kyokishin VS Muay Thai matches. Most of the KK fighters do boxing or MT with it though due to the lack of headpunches in their art so its not strictly style VS style.
                      K-1? You mean the largest Kickboxing Organization on the planet?

INGENIUS! I NEVER WOULD HAVE THOUGHT TO LOOK THERE!
                      "No. Listen to me because I know what I'm talking about here." -- Hannibal

Comment

All I'm asking about is whether said matches really took place and if there any pictures, or if any pictures exist of Oyama in his youth.

Comment

All I'm asking about is whether said matches really took place and if there any pictures, or if any pictures exist of Oyama in his youth.
                          Rest assured, I did not mean to imply that you were stupid with my previous post.

Quite the contrary, I feel that your topic is a good one.

I was simply trying to point out the idiocy of the post I was quoting, both for its obviousness and its lack of relevence to the subject at hand.

Carry on.
                          "No. Listen to me because I know what I'm talking about here." -- Hannibal

Comment

Thanks, but I'll still end up with a million "I saw a Kyokushin vs Muay thai fight once" replies, which isn't what the thread is about AT ALL.

Comment

"Even one as good as Matsui is susceptible to the flaws of the Kyokushin style. In the 3rd World Open, he was hit again & again to the face by a flurry of punches from an Indian fighter who did not care much for the rules. Matsui was brought down a few times due to these "foul punches". The Indian fighter was of course disqualified, but from here we can see that unlike the first generation students of Oyama (& he himself), the later generations of Karate fighters knew not how to defend their head from punches by a good boxer!"

I like this bit.

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                              X