Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Acadian fury
    replied
    i think the, oh wait a second my shoe lace is untied attack is better than facking a hart attack, a little more realistic.....

Ah man Mr.P is such a Clown

Leave a comment:

• The Man
    replied
    Here is possibly the worst defense in the history of mankind.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-WWuY...es%20Patenaude

Leave a comment:

• wagamichi
    replied
    http://www.zippyvideos.com/355676723...appling-intro/

Is this the same guY? doing a little SCA.
    http://www.lookatentertainment.com/n...vids/v-309.wmv
    Last edited by wagamichi; 4/22/2006 3:54pm, .

Leave a comment:

• Askari
    replied
    MBM, there should be 5 different clips there, I just checked the links and they all open.

Leave a comment:

• mrblackmagic
    replied
    It looks like the same clip over and over again.

Leave a comment:

• Askari
    replied
    Posted this as Post # 924 in the mega-thread, but realized it wont get read there very often. So here it is.

The problem with technical development in a Wing Chun derived art like FSD is not solely a problem in FSD. I've trained at clubs with the same technical problems (Wing Chun derived) without the dog sniffing, so I will work to answer your questions. I do not regret having trained WC, it was a long time ago and I have taken benifit from it as a basic training. But I still know the difference between a Pak Sao, a Gum Sao and a Chin Sao, so my analysis of your art comes from expertese in both WC and latter in JJ/BJJ/MMA training.

In post 2 of this thread I detailed a criticism of the Phon Sao video, so you can reference my notes there as well.

FSD(WC derived) trains primarily against non-resisting partners and through route memorization of numbered techniques (Phon Sao 15 etc), this does not translate to a real fighting environment because you will now be trying to remember the completely scripted response that you learned in class instead of trying to win the fight.

FSD trains long chains of memorized techniques that need to be demonstrated for an instructor without a direct relationship to fighting. You will never apply these techniques in a sparring match because they will not work.

FSD does not encourage its students to try to beat the instructor in sparring. This is hugely counter productive. A good instructor teaches his students how to beat him. Two reasons:

1) Selfish, if they get better, I will get better by fighting them.
    2) It works better if you actually teach them how to fight.

In FSD your sparring looks like piss poor kickboxing. So why dont you train kickboxing techniques during the techniques portion of the class?

School X, a randori based Jiu-Jitsu/Judo/BJJ/wrestling/boxing club spends most of its time working with resisting partners. That is guys who do more then throw one scripted punch then stop moving.

School X, trains exactly the same techniques that it then performs during randori/sparring. The techniques look the same in training and sparring and fighting and competition.

Leave a comment:

• Askari
    replied
    Wing Chun Video

This video was being slagged a bit on another thread, but it is a Wing Chun Video that is head and shoulders above the Fang Shen Do videos.

I know there is a lot wrong in that video, from the goofy stances to Patty-Cake Chi Sao and eye gouging to escape the mount (The please arm-bar me defence of the anti-grappler). BUT it is still better then the Fang Shen Do videos.

Leave a comment:

• Askari
    replied
    This was well posted over on the big thread, but really told us directly about Fang Shen Do:
    Originally posted by Old101
    FSD vids! WTFWT!
    No comment.
    Do you actually analyze this stuff? Why? I'd like to hear what actors thought of thier roles. What was thier motivation? Why did De Niro turn down the role of JP?
    Actually Phon Sao is part of Chi Sao. Trapping hands more specifically. In not very important....really.... don't ask any more questions. (Crap... the secret is out!)
    There isn't a lot of "attribute" training in WC. We mostly just stand around and converse. Some systems/styles/brands/method/persuasions lift weights, run hundreds of feet, do pilates, all to develop those abs and others bits of anatomy, just to get the edge. You never know when you will have to run to catch a bus, or fight one of those ultimate guys. Power Rangers don't count. I love when I hear the crap about "keeping the good (useful???) stuff, and throwing away the bad (uselesss???) stuff". It's like saying I like the consonants and I'll keep them, but the A,E,I,O,U and, yes, sometimes Y...they have to go!
    I'm kind of sorry I slighted FSD. That's way more acknowledgement than it deserves. FSD is really just a symptom, a cough or fever or cancer. The desease is the sijo guy and his cronies who push this crap (again with the dogshit) and the suckers amongst us who get caught up in critiques of how there dogshit is so much better than FSD's.

Sleepies
    PS. I think we should reveiw MP's defence against strawberries.

Leave a comment:

• TKD Black Belt
    replied
    Originally posted by BackFistMonkey
    the wristlock ... well it could work against a severely drunk attacker ... who is frail .. and limp wristed when he/she punches with single hand strike .
    To be fair I do teach a variation on this technique to LEO the trick of course is that once the wrist is grabed you have a cuff on it and the motion works surprisingly well. That said, it is definitely a last resort technique.

TKD

Leave a comment:

• MajinFajita
    replied
    I never thought anything to do with martial arts could be somehow more gay than dying from playing World of Warcraft too much...

Then I saw these videos....

Leave a comment:

• TKD Black Belt
    replied
    Originally posted by Stringfellow
    That said, anyone want to give pecentages on each technique working on an uncooperative opponent? I mean, if we're going to pick these apart, let's be specific, eh.
    :laughing4 :laughing4 :laughing4 :laughing4 :laughing4 :laughing4 :laughing4

This reminds me of a Karate demo I saw once. The instructor brought this guy from the crowd to demonstrate the effectiveness of his technique in defeating an attacker. (We of course know we could never do this in TKD as we'd most likely kill anyone who didn't know what they were doing, but I digress). The instructor then set up this elaborate 'natural' scenario which was so scripted that a blind, one armed monkey with a week's worth of FSD could have effectively blocked the punch.

People!!! When the most dangerous attacker you've ever seen your instructor deal with is the new student's in the club, HE CAN'T FIGHT!!!

TKD

If I roll up the sleeves of my silk top does it make me look more masculine?!?

Leave a comment:

• Bugeisha
    replied
    Originally posted by Stringfellow
    Well now, to be completely fair (yeah, leave it to me to ruin everybody's fun - I know), these clips are from an instructional video, where the guy is being cooperative.

That said, anyone want to give pecentages on each technique working on an uncooperative opponent? I mean, if we're going to pick these apart, let's be specific, eh.
    By "give percentages" and "be specific," do you mean "make up numbers?" 'Cause if that's the case, I'm in.

Leave a comment:

• Askari
    replied
    To be completely fair, a Pak Sao (which is very similiar to a A boxing parry) is a very effective way of dealing with a jab.

There are a couple of Pak Saos contained within that Phon Sao Video. Just to take the time and wade through that amount of crap to get that one good nugget seems to me a like taking the long trip to the supermarket, instead of going to the one just across the street.

There probably are a fair number of fairly effective techniques completely hidden within Fang Shen Do -- that is, even hidden from the guys in the video as they dont seem to have a clue as to how to parry a punch.

Leave a comment:

• BackFistMonkey
    replied
    http://www.zippyvideos.com/8533047494519886/takedown7/

Takedown 7
    LOW %

again you throw punches in bunches ... defense falls to crap .

the wristlock ... well it could work against a severely drunk attacker ... who is frail .. and limp wristed when he/she punches with single hand strike . The lock also hinges on catching and trapping the arm well enough to control the wrist by the palm and back of hand . You then have to move forward into the attackers space to set/sink the lock in . During this time you are going to eat a hook or cross .

* groans *

I don't want to watch it anymore to pick it apart . It sucks ... I mean just look at those vids .. christ almighty what the fuck are they thinking ?
    Last edited by BackFistMonkey; 4/01/2006 8:25pm, .

Leave a comment:

• Stringfellow
    replied
    Originally posted by BackFistMonkey
    http://video.tinypic.com/player.php?v=sg74mp

Phon Sao #15
    extremely low %

Throw a left cross with that first crappy floppy right jab , instead of using it to slap at the little fellows guard .

OR

Cover up , then clinch the little fucktard , throw him down and kick him in his face for slapping at you when you have a 50 lbs and a number of inches on him .

OR

Throw a second and/or third strike driving through his feeble guard .
    Now we're talking. :eusa_clap

Leave a comment:

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
X