Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Aikido sparring clips?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Aikido sparring clips?

    I've Searched.

    I've Googled.

    Does anyone know of any Aikido sparring clips anywhere?

    By "sparring" I mean two people going at it without any pre-arranged sequences or cooperation. The level of contact doesn't matter.

    I don't mean demo's. I don't mean drilling.

    By "Aikido sparring" I mean two Aikidoka using Aikido. An MMA fighter who has Aikido in his/her arsenal stomping someone's face is not what I'm after. Lord Aisia sparring at a throwdown doesn't count.

    Clips of Aikidoka using Aikido in free sparring is what I'm after.

    Does such a thing exist?
    The vast Universe!
    The Way of Aiki to to become
    The light of all mankind
    Opening all the world

    --O Sensei

    :gaygay:

    #2
    I'm not sure if this counts. Apparently the techniques allowed are limited, but not 'cooperative' if you see what I mean :-

    http://www.wakefield-aikido.co.uk/gallery/13.avi
    http://www.wakefield-aikido.co.uk/gallery/14.avi
    http://www.su.nottingham.ac.uk/ ~aikido/video.htm
    !!RENT SPACE HERE FOR 10 VBUCKS PER LINE PER MONTH!!

    !! PM ME FOR SPEEDY SERVICE !!

    Sponsored by our first customer: Repulsive Monkey



    I <3 Sirc.

    Comment


      #3
      Originally posted by garbanzo
      Does anyone know of any Aikido sparring clips anywhere?

      By "sparring" I mean two people going at it without any pre-arranged sequences or cooperation. The level of contact doesn't matter.


      Clips of Aikidoka using Aikido in free sparring is what I'm after.

      Does such a thing exist?
      Something like this?

      http://www.aikiweb.net/videos/column...5_11_clip4.mov

      Comment


        #4
        Originally posted by garbanzo
        I've Searched.

        I've Googled.

        Does anyone know of any Aikido sparring clips anywhere?

        By "sparring" I mean two people going at it without any pre-arranged sequences or cooperation. The level of contact doesn't matter.

        I don't mean demo's. I don't mean drilling.

        By "Aikido sparring" I mean two Aikidoka using Aikido. An MMA fighter who has Aikido in his/her arsenal stomping someone's face is not what I'm after. Lord Aisia sparring at a throwdown doesn't count.

        Clips of Aikidoka using Aikido in free sparring is what I'm after.

        Does such a thing exist?
        While you're looking for that, I have some videos of the Sasquatch that I can show you.

        By the way, I do not believe I have ever formally apologized for accidentally stealing your name. Generally I register for things with the name "garbanzobean" because no one ever uses a name similar to that and it's easier than spending 45 minutes trying to come up with something creative that no one else has already taken. Sorry for that.
        "No. Listen to me because I know what I'm talking about here." -- Hannibal

        Comment


          #5
          Originally posted by Garbanzo Bean
          While you're looking for that, I have some videos of the Sasquatch that I can show you.

          By the way, I do not believe I have ever formally apologized for accidentally stealing your name. Generally I register for things with the name "garbanzobean" because no one ever uses a name similar to that and it's easier than spending 45 minutes trying to come up with something creative that no one else has already taken. Sorry for that.
          No worries.

          Great minds think alike.
          The vast Universe!
          The Way of Aiki to to become
          The light of all mankind
          Opening all the world

          --O Sensei

          :gaygay:

          Comment


            #6
            Originally posted by Garbanzo Bean
            While you're looking for that, I have some videos of the Sasquatch that I can show you.

            By the way, I do not believe I have ever formally apologized for accidentally stealing your name. Generally I register for things with the name "garbanzobean" because no one ever uses a name similar to that and it's easier than spending 45 minutes trying to come up with something creative that no one else has already taken. Sorry for that.
            I have to admit to being somewhat impressed by the video DCS posted.
            !!RENT SPACE HERE FOR 10 VBUCKS PER LINE PER MONTH!!

            !! PM ME FOR SPEEDY SERVICE !!

            Sponsored by our first customer: Repulsive Monkey



            I <3 Sirc.

            Comment


              #7
              Cullion and DCS:

              They all count.

              Thanks.
              The vast Universe!
              The Way of Aiki to to become
              The light of all mankind
              Opening all the world

              --O Sensei

              :gaygay:

              Comment


                #8
                Originally posted by Cullion
                I have to admit to being somewhat impressed by the video DCS posted.
                It's definitely better than the usual junk, but I have some issues with it:

                1.) The aggressor is rushing forward to the point of offbalancing himself. While this certainly happens, it is considered to be a no-no in the martial arts I've trained in. This certainly does happen, but I'd like to see more of the aikido guy before I say that his energy redirection skillz are mad.

                2.) The two takedowns he managed were based on grabbing ahold of the guy's belt and the back of his collar. Again, letting someone get behind you is a big no-no. Also, what does Mr. Aikido grab if he does not have those? Wrist, back of neck? I mean, what if he is going after a sweaty MMA guy (again, hypothetical).

                This video is better than the usual shite, but if it's the best Aikido has to offer, no thanks.

                I'd definitely like to see more, though.
                "No. Listen to me because I know what I'm talking about here." -- Hannibal

                Comment


                  #9
                  Originally posted by Garbanzo Bean
                  It's definitely better than the usual junk, but I have some issues with it:

                  1.) The aggressor is rushing forward to the point of offbalancing himself. While this certainly happens, it is considered to be a no-no in the martial arts I've trained in. This certainly does happen, but I'd like to see more of the aikido guy before I say that his energy redirection skillz are mad.

                  2.) The two takedowns he managed were based on grabbing ahold of the guy's belt and the back of his collar. Again, letting someone get behind you is a big no-no. Also, what does Mr. Aikido grab if he does not have those? Wrist, back of neck? I mean, what if he is going after a sweaty MMA guy (again, hypothetical).

                  This video is better than the usual shite, but if it's the best Aikido has to offer, no thanks.

                  I'd definitely like to see more, though.
                  I swear to god it looks like crappy Hapkido minus out clinch work and decent throws .

                  But its nice to see them actually trying and attempting something besides co-opt scripted drills .
                  I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out.
                  BILL HICKS,
                  1961-1994

                  "Never believe that anti-Semites are completely unaware of the absurdity of their replies. They know that their remarks are frivolous, open to challenge. But they are amusing themselves, for it is their adversary who is obliged to use words responsibly, since he believes in words. The anti-Semites have the right to play. They even like to play with discourse for, by giving ridiculous reasons, they discredit the seriousness of their interlocutors. They delight in acting in bad faith, since they seek not to persuade by sound argument but to intimidate and disconcert. If you press them too closely, they will abruptly fall silent, loftily indicating by some phrase that the time for argument is past."
                  ---Jean-Paul Sartre

                  Comment


                    #10
                    I can't see the video DCS does it look something like our randori?
                    カンフー

                    Comment


                      #11
                      What does your typical randori consist of?

                      Comment


                        #12
                        Originally posted by Garbanzo Bean
                        Also, what does Mr. Aikido grab if he does not have those? Wrist, back of neck?
                        The mullet of course, we're talking about hippies, isn't it?

                        On a bit more serious way: grab what is available at the moment. I like the back of the neck (and sometimes i grab hair for fun, not everybody is bald or has his head shaved).

                        In any case the clip is not "sparring" in the "Bullshido.com Approved Book Of Martial Arts Training Methods (TM)", it's a drill/experiment with limited purpose and needs to be put in a specific training context.

                        And no, it doesn't looks like Shodokan randori.
                        Last edited by DCS; 2/05/2006 3:11pm, . Reason: answering Mr. Jones

                        Comment


                          #13
                          Originally posted by Cullion
                          I have to admit to being somewhat impressed by the video DCS posted.
                          Because that's not really Aikdio, it's the reall Wing Chun.

                          Comment


                            #14
                            It sounds impressive I wish I could see it.
                            カンフー

                            Comment


                              #15
                              there was a gentleman that I haven't seen post here in a while. He had some resistant akido clips attached to his signature. It was very good, one of the clips had a dude subbing another with a wrist lock.

                              Comment

                              Collapse

                              Edit this module to specify a template to display.

                              Working...
                              X