Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pa Kua in Seattle?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Pa Kua in Seattle?

    Someone I know is looking for a BaGua school in the Seattle Area. The closest thing I've encourtered was a Canadian at the 2001 Tiger Balm who (in between competitions) threw one of my Tai Chi comrades around pretty good. Should I tell the guy-I-know-looking-for-BaGau to plan to commute to Vancouver, or are there BaGua schools/groups in Seattle who practice some kind of interactive resistance between students? I'm looking for three things in this recomendation, listed here in order of importance:

    1) It actually is BaGua (preferably has some kind of lineage)
    2) It has contact/resistance training between students (it actually is a martial art and not just another flavor of Chi Kung)
    3) The closer to Seattle, the better

    Does 1+2+3 exist in one school? (If so, what is the contact information for that school?) What are the best BaGua options in the Seattle area?

    #2
    Andrew Dale
    P.O. Box 77040
    Seattle, WA 98133
    (206) 283-0055
    Pa Kua Chang

    Sifu Dale is very good at what he does.







    Comment


      #3
      Originally posted by BFGalbraith
      1) It actually is BaGua (preferably has some kind of lineage)
      2) It has contact/resistance training between students (it actually is a martial art and not just another flavor of Chi Kung)
      3) The closer to Seattle, the better

      Does 1+2+3 exist in one school? (If so, what is the contact information for that school?) What are the best BaGua options in the Seattle area?
      Well, though I've heard Andy Dale is very knowledgeable, I haven't heard that you'll find #2, above, to any great degree. For that matter, from what I've heard about most schools in the Seattle/SeaTac/Kent/Renton/Fife/Tacoma/et cetera area, there aren't all that many schools that take part in active fisticuffs with each other.

      I train in Lakewood (Tacoma) when I live there... I am in S. Korea for another 3 months, and then I'll return to Fort Lewis. Our school includes Xingyi, Taiji, and Bagua in its curriculum, but we are not a Xingyi, Taiji, nor Bagua school... Our art is called Yiliquan, and is a hybrid art in the same fashion as Liu He Ba Fa... Whatever.

      Dale's skill and knowledge aren't in question, just whether they lay the smack down on each other or not... His prices are insane, too, by the way, but I guess all of Seattle is ridiculously overpriced anyway.

      Comment


        #4
        While we're at it, does anone know of a good Kali school in the same area?
        Originally posted by Cullion
        You sound like a foaming-at-the-mouth-loon out of Dr. Strangelove.
        Sometimes, we put Ricin in the Cocaine. :ninja7:

        Comment


          #5
          Sifu Jesse Cole is not affiliated with us, but
          we know of him:
          Contact Name: Mr. Jessie J. Cole
          Business Name: Portland Bagua Gung-fu School llc
          Address: 1810 N. Columbia Blvd. Bldg A2 Suite #8
          City: Portland
          State: OR
          Country: North America-United States
          Phone Number: 503-735-4442
          Center's Major Interest: Bagua


          http://www.taichinetwork.org/list_result.cfm

          Simo of ch'iang shan pa kua chang

          Comment


            #6
            Originally posted by SFGOON
            While we're at it, does anone know of a good Kali school in the same area?
            I help run a little FMA club in the Ballard neighborhood. We're Lightning Scientific Arnis/LESKAS. www.leskas.com

            Other than us, there's MKG in Greenwood/Phinney neighborhood.

            Bellevue Martial Arts under PG Hufana is very active in the FMA locally

            IMB Seattle is run by Guro Pete Israel.

            Chris Clarke of Inosanto lineage is down in Federal Way.

            Guro Madeline Coffin of Serrada is floating around and does private lessons.

            There are a few others that I know that I'm missing.

            Comment


              #7
              Does anyone know anything about "Grandmaster Qian Timing" or his student "Mei-hui Lu" as described on the following site

              http://depts.washington.edu/asuwxpcl...MARTIAL%20ARTS

              ?

              Comment


                #8
                MKG appears to be a full-contact oriented school for sure:
                http://www.mkgseattle.com/page.asp?content_id=7144

                I haven't done Arnis since the 80's, but when I did Dave Bird (see link below) was the guy who was doing the full-contact arnis training in the west sound area (and I did train in one of his schools, but not this one, which also teaches a different system of Choy Lay Fut than I studied):
                http://harborkarate.com/arnis-kickboxing-guro.html
                (Later he had kickboxers fighting in local kickboxing competitions, including fight cards with AMC fighters.)

                Comment


                  #9
                  Originally posted by BFGalbraith
                  Does anyone know anything about "Grandmaster Qian Timing" or his student "Mei-hui Lu" as described on the following site

                  http://depts.washington.edu/asuwxpcl...MARTIAL%20ARTS

                  ?
                  I just started take WuDang Tai Chi classes at Bellevue Community with this pair. They seem to be quite good. I'm just a newbie after three lessons, however the techniques that that they teach seem to match the few books I've read. And I'm feeling a whole lot more relaxed now that I am practicing. For what it is worth, the leasons also "feel" authentic.

                  I'm trying to find out more information, and I am not getting very far unfortunately... Thank you for the link though.

                  If there are more references on this pair, I would be interested.

                  Comment


                    #10
                    So you are doing martial applications in your TCC class? That is good to hear. Can you give an example?
                    Locu5
                    combat sports hobbyist

                    Comment


                      #11
                      Tai Chi competetors beware of the Wudang!

                      Originally posted by Locu5
                      So you are doing martial applications in your TCC class? That is good to hear. Can you give an example?
                      Not to speak for the TCC newbie here, but allow me to blunt: the biggest difference between Free Style Wrestling and what this school calls "push hands" is that Free Style has mats (these guys typically go at it on grass or hard-wood floor.) My gripe is they don't deal with Muay Thai style clinches ... and that if they are going to do so many big throws (double legs etc.) they may as well do some ground fighting while they are at it. (They don't do ground fighting as far as I know, but they do end up on the ground regularly.)

                      They also often train full-resistant/full-speed/in-sparring joint locks, injuries be damned. Honestly it's one of the most brutal traditional martial arts I have encountered: Judo for example is considerably safer (and I have had my ass handed to me in Judo classes.)

                      This was the style of martial art who's competition I took part in for this review (reviewed without anyone's consent):
                      http://www.bullshido.net/modules.php...article&id=235

                      And is the same school as this review:
                      http://www.bullshido.net/modules.php...article&id=255
                      Last edited by BFGalbraith; 10/17/2006 9:59pm, .

                      Comment


                        #12
                        Originally posted by BFGalbraith
                        MKG appears to be a full-contact oriented school for sure:
                        http://www.mkgseattle.com/page.asp?content_id=7144
                        Surprisingly, they're not from everything I've heard and from going in and talking to them.

                        I think it's a lot of shield kicking and stick patterns, but I can't say for sure. I sometimes train with a group that takes a BJJ class in there once a week, so I'm just working off what I see and what I've heard / been told (including by one of the instructors there).

                        I got the story where the guy upstream in their lineage "used to go full contact, then figured out you could drill instead and blah, blah, insert excuse, blah..."
                        Originally posted by Dinosaur AMP
                        You just can't go wrong when your getting armbar'd to Flogging Molly while a fire fighter is cursing at you in the background. Good stuff!

                        Comment


                          #13
                          There is no Pa Kua listed here, but just a shout out to this guy:

                          http://www.threeharmonies.com/

                          Trained under Tim Cartmell and does Xing Yi, etc. with resistance. He also grapples and is a cool guy.
                          Originally posted by Dinosaur AMP
                          You just can't go wrong when your getting armbar'd to Flogging Molly while a fire fighter is cursing at you in the background. Good stuff!

                          Comment


                            #14
                            Originally posted by Ryno
                            I help run a little FMA club in the Ballard neighborhood. We're Lightning Scientific Arnis/LESKAS. www.leskas.com

                            Other than us, there's MKG in Greenwood/Phinney neighborhood.

                            Bellevue Martial Arts under PG Hufana is very active in the FMA locally

                            IMB Seattle is run by Guro Pete Israel.

                            Chris Clarke of Inosanto lineage is down in Federal Way.

                            Guro Madeline Coffin of Serrada is floating around and does private lessons.

                            There are a few others that I know that I'm missing.
                            Who does contact besides you guys Ryno? I know you gear up and go with padded weapons, etc. Does anyone else practice "alive"?

                            Boy I'm just shitting up this thread with my commentary, I'll shut up now.

                            :hijackp:
                            Originally posted by Dinosaur AMP
                            You just can't go wrong when your getting armbar'd to Flogging Molly while a fire fighter is cursing at you in the background. Good stuff!

                            Comment


                              #15
                              Originally posted by Oscar Goldman
                              Surprisingly, they're not from everything I've heard and from going in and talking to them....
                              I got the story where the guy upstream in their lineage "used to go full contact, then figured out you could drill instead and blah, blah, insert excuse, blah..."

                              Oh man that sucks. I'll take MKG off my recommended schools list.

                              Also, I wouldn't mind a complete survey of "live" FMA in the area actually... so more comments on what stick fighting schools are actually contact sparring (in Seattle) are appreciated.

                              Comment

                              Collapse

                              Edit this module to specify a template to display.

                              Working...
                              X