X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gustard
    replied
    Originally posted by black mamba
    Judo only gets good when you get to the dan ranks. It would take a 5th Dan black belt to compete with a BJJ black belt. Judo belts are given out easily you could get a black in a year. so it isnt correct to use a belt by belt comparison for the two two styles. Because it takes 10 years of training to get a BJJ black belt.
    This is nonsense I know white belt judokas that are better fighters in Randoori than some black belts ! In Judo its competition results that count for more. Thats not to take away from black belts - they can teach you techniques that are excellant - but they might not have the fitness and speed.

Leave a comment:

• Gustard
    replied
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bjj

Leave a comment:

• ysc87
    replied
    Originally posted by blackfish
    Not bashing Judo, but if BJJ was ineffective the US Army would not have incorporated it into their hand to hand combat manual nor would they be holding regular tournaments.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WhTo7xErnnw
    effective as it is, not a great argument.
    "low bidder, and the people we're teaching it to think it works" are really the only requirements for the army to consider incorporating it.. -_-
    it just so happens that bjj is effective.

Leave a comment:

• Lu Tze
    replied
    That same argument has been used in defence of wing chun, and TKD, so it's hardly a ringing endorsement.

Leave a comment:

• blackfish
    replied
    Not bashing Judo, but if BJJ was ineffective the US Army would not have incorporated it into their hand to hand combat manual nor would they be holding regular tournaments.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WhTo7xErnnw

Leave a comment:

• Holy Moment
    replied
    Hell, I remember this damn thread when I was lurking in 2005...... Oh, the memories.

Leave a comment:

• hpr
    replied
    Hm. Some advanced necromancy right there, but I have to admit the 2005 discussion about gaining belts was interesting. The original stuff.. Complete "My daddy will beat up all your daddies" bullshit.

Leave a comment:

• Hedgehogey
    replied
    While we're at it, it's been a year and a half and noone's yet completed my kosen judo scavenger hunt.

Leave a comment:

• Olorin
    replied

Leave a comment:

• kwoww
    replied
    I agree, unless you really honestly truly have an important update.

Leave a comment:

• Roidie McDouchebag
    replied
    Necromancing ancient troll threads should really=BAN.

Leave a comment:

• SpringHeeledJack
    replied
    You really should look at the post dates. The guy you're questioning hasn't posted since 2004.

Leave a comment:

• NeverMan
    replied
    Originally posted by Hook
    i would also like to mention that I have used bjj in streetfights and they were the easiest fights of my life,attacked from behind,attacked multiple opponents,and attacked by with a bat.Won all three fights and a couple of the guys were actually cool enough to say that they never knew something like that existed and asked where they could learn something like that.
    This is like the ultimate BS. One of the biggest fish stories I have ever heard.

So, please fill us in on the details, how did you beat multiple opponents with BJJ? Were you able to close gaurd all three of them at one time? LOL.

Leave a comment:

• ImAlrdyNum
    replied
    Originally posted by lawdog
    I agree with ImAlrdyNum about the belt, I couldn't care less. As long as you can compete in the expert division, what difference does it make.
    Exactly. My only motivation to advance in rank was to get to sankyu so I could move out of the novice division and face stiffer competition. Which translates to getting my ass kicked more frequently.

Leave a comment:

• lawdog
    replied
    Originally posted by drummerboy
    You can promote as "non-competitor". That means you do not have to collect points by competing in regular shiai. You have to have certain time in rank, be certain age, have certain amount of points from kata competitions, helping at score tables, weigh ins and such at shiais, demonstrate the technique and (I think) do the kohaku shiai. But you dont have to win.
    This is USJF rules. USJA is I think slightly different, the club has more say in your promotion up to shodan.

And to be clear: I don't think this is in any way detrimental to judo. Our kids' coach was a non-competitor, and he was/is a great kids' coach.

Tomas
    Originally posted by ImAlrdyNum
    My club grades according to USJI standards, and rank criteria is based on time in grade, and points earned: service points(working tournaments), and competition points. You earn points for beating someone of the same or higher rank, higher the rank the more points are awarded.

You don't have to compete to earn ranks, it just takes a hell of a lot longer. I started Judo July 2004, and I've competed in and won or placed in 6 tournaments since then. I made sankyu last month, which in my club is a brown belt, other clubs may not wear brown until ikkyu. It should take me at least another year and a half to shodan, first black, not that I care.
    Yeah, I just looked it up. I'm sure it varies considerably from club to club, and probably from state to state, but the IJF standards would be the minimum requirements.

I'm not sure if it was only my club that required wins, or if the standards have changed since then, but we had to win to advance. Some of the players only did forms, but they still had to win.

I agree with ImAlrdyNum about the belt, I couldn't care less. As long as you can compete in the expert division, what difference does it make.

I also agree with Drummerboy that the IJF standards (allowing advancement w/o competing) is probably a good thing for the sport. The sliding scale system makes sense to me.

Yrkoon, thanks for posting all of that, it's interesting. I had no idea that's the way it worked in BJJ.

Leave a comment:

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
X