BJJ inferior to Kosen Judo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BedHedNed
    Uhh.... this thread's like three years old, dumbass.
    Funny!

Comment

Random story to tell since this thread brought up a "BJJ doesn't work on the street". Please keep in mind that my main focus in training is the sword and by extension a baton/stick... My BJJ experience is limited to four or five visits to the school here and getting my ass kicked into the ground by better fighters. Now that background is out of the way.

At my practice field wednesday night we had someone who was baseball batting, deliberately trying to hurt people, and in general trying to be a bully/bad ass. He was told by one marshal to take a step off the field till he calmed down. The guy hit the marshal in the temple with a shinai. At that point I stepped in, he swung, I slipped, I closed in with the guy and did a very sloppy scissors take down, pulled it off, sat up, pinned the guy to the ground via a shinai pressed on his throat till other people could help me hold him down safer and discuss the matter with him.

Guess where I learned how to close against a sword/stick or where I learned to do said take down?

So yep, BJJ never works on the street in real situations against people that really want to hurt someone. Less you're someone with four-five classes under your belt..

PS: Sure it's old, but I'm assuming the new guy was taking the whole "Don't make a new thread if you can find an old one that fits what you want" mentality. Which begs the question, Bedhed, why are you harping on someone for doing that?

And since it's here, might as well have fun with it.
      Last edited by Bard of DorAr; 8/20/2005 3:21pm, .

Comment

Originally posted by mongoose
        it looks (to me) as though judo in america is somewhat watered down and 'sport' focused -- if i were in japan my choice would be easier...
        The sport focus is exactly why it's so effective "in the street".

It's sport focused in Japan as well. Wherever you are, Judo=sport, and that's a good thing.
        Last edited by lawdog; 8/20/2005 4:27pm, .

Comment

Nothing is useless...just some things are harder to make effective.

My you achieve
          Satori
          Originally posted by Exodus
          Helio was submitted by Kimura

Comment

Judo only gets good when you get to the dan ranks. It would take a 5th Dan black belt to compete with a BJJ black belt. Judo belts are given out easily you could get a black in a year. so it isnt correct to use a belt by belt comparison for the two two styles. Because it takes 10 years of training to get a BJJ black belt.

Comment

How are the Kosen Judoka doing at open grappling tournaments anyway?
              "Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities." Voltaire.

Comment

Originally posted by black mamba
                Judo only gets good when you get to the dan ranks. It would take a 5th Dan black belt to compete with a BJJ black belt. Judo belts are given out easily you could get a black in a year. so it isnt correct to use a belt by belt comparison for the two two styles. Because it takes 10 years of training to get a BJJ black belt.
                Umm.. dunno where you train Judo buddy but at my club, which is Kodokan Judo, it would take about 6-10 years to get to black belt...

Comment

If memory serves me.Kodokan Judo has always trained specifically for ground-figthing.Is this true?
                  [img=http://img205.imageshack.us/img205/2364/8026700123940loij9.th.jpg]

"God damn America" --Muammar al-Gaddafi

Comment

Originally posted by black mamba
                    Wrong.

If memory serves me.Kodokan Judo has always trained specifically for ground-figthing.Is this true?
                    Most clubs train 50% ground and 50% standing, or something pretty close to that.
                    Last edited by lawdog; 8/20/2005 7:33pm, .

Comment

Wow I know I was a member back then and I didn't post to bash BJJ and uphold the honor of JUDO!

I didn't do a pattened BJJ= Basicly Just Judo remark!!!

I a disappointed in myself now.
                      ______
                      Xiao Ao Jiang Hu Zhi Dong Fang Bu Bai (Laughing Proud Warrior Invincible Asia) Dark Emperor of Baji!!!

RIP SOLDIER

Didn't anyone ever tell him a fat man could never be a ninja
                      -Gene, GODHAND

You can't practice Judo just to win a Judo Match! You practice so that no matter what happens, you can win using Judo!
                      The key to fighting two men at once is to be much tougher than both of them.
                      -Daniel Tosh

Comment

that :)_:-) or whatever has no idea what he is talking about. It is pointless to argue which style is better. Both are great. I am not going to argue about what is best for 'street' cause I def don't know but for grappling - BJJ has proven time and time and time again that it is the best for the vast majority of people.
                        :-):- guy claims that Judo's technique's are 'sharper' - WTF is that based on, again you have no idea what you are talking about.
                        How have those Judo guys faired at open grappling tournaments? I rarely see them.
                        I do Judo too but BJJ is more complete on the ground and Judo is more complete on the feet. To argue the opposite is BS. If I roll all groundwork all day, developing, refining stuff, obviously I would have the advantage. Sure Kosen Judo has a lot of ground work but this pails in comparison to BJJ's groundwork.
                        That being said, I would hate to face a Judokan in the streets. You're head could get split in two.
                        :-) -); go back to your 'shotokan' place or whatever.

Comment

Fuck this thread.

Comment

What a retarded thread. I want it in the deepest abysm of Trollshido.
                            "The day will come when the mystical generation of Jesus, by the Supreme Being as His father, in the womb of a virgin will be classed with the fable of the generation of Minerva in the brain of Jupiter." -Thomas Jefferson - (purposefully taken out of its context) Source.

Comment

I am just curious as to wether anyone here has actually practiced "Kosen Judo" as I was under the impression that it is only done at a couple of universities in Japan. And that it is considered to be nothing but Kodokan judo where they may spend a bit more time in Ne waza practice than usual (depending on your club). In my first club I always spent about 40-50 % of my time working on Ne Waza, as it was my favorite. In UK, most clubs I have been to use maybe 20-30% of the mat time on ne waza, some use much less.

Cheeers
                              Originally posted by MavericZ
                              Masturbating to Bea Arthur in Golden Girls reruns is NOT training, no matter what your instructor tells you.

Comment

KOSEN refers to School System (Highschool, but equvialent to freshman yr in a university in the US)

Kosen Judo is Kodokan Judo were they did alot more newaza.
                                ______
                                Xiao Ao Jiang Hu Zhi Dong Fang Bu Bai (Laughing Proud Warrior Invincible Asia) Dark Emperor of Baji!!!

RIP SOLDIER

Didn't anyone ever tell him a fat man could never be a ninja
                                -Gene, GODHAND

You can't practice Judo just to win a Judo Match! You practice so that no matter what happens, you can win using Judo!
                                The key to fighting two men at once is to be much tougher than both of them.
                                -Daniel Tosh

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                                X