Fat white belts shouldn't have to deal with this guy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I mean........ Its kind of exciting when the little dude pulls it off:

I am trying to find this video I saw a few weeks ago can't remember if it was judo or BJJ but it was this tiny higher belt vs a large but not fit white belt, didn't go well for the higher belt.
    Of the single rapier fight between valiant men, having both skill, he that is the best wrestler, or if neither of them can wrestle, the strongest man most commonly kills the other, or leaves him at his mercy.
    –George Silver, Paradoxes of Defence

Comment

Found it:

Of the single rapier fight between valiant men, having both skill, he that is the best wrestler, or if neither of them can wrestle, the strongest man most commonly kills the other, or leaves him at his mercy.

Comment

Before I got my black belt, I would always enter the open division if there was one. Usually there was. Sometimes they would have one for non-black belts. This was back in early 80s.

I was, believe it or not, undefeated in open weight matches, versus non-black belts, for several tournaments. I usually competed at -143 lbs.

I also beat a lot of bigger guys (not black belts) at "stand up" as called in Judo, koten shiai.

The next to last one I remember, (it was in Dennison, TX, LOL), there were about 8 or 10 guys in the open division for non-black belts, I beat everything from fat old men colored belts to a couple of huge strong guys who were brown belts.

I was pretty cocky, and entered a tournament laster in the year (it might have been the Austin Aquafest, but can't remember exactly). I won my weight class (and yeah, I beat black belts at that weight), and was entered in the grand champion division, being the winner of each weight class.

So I beat the 132 lb guy, then got to go against I think it was the -172 lb guy, yeah, that was the weight. Now, I trained sometimes with him, name was Danny. Decent guy, lifted, and had been doing Judo since he was a kid. He had hit a growth spurt since the last time I had seen him, LOL.

This was an epic match. He really, really, wanted to beat me, and he was not worried about being technical about it. I eventually beat him by throwing him for a waza ari, then pinning him for the ippon.

Next up was an experienced black belt at 189 or 209, not sure which. Again, nice guy, but, well, pretty darned good.

I went out and got a grip, put a huge fake seoi nage on him, tried to reverse to Kouchi Gari, and next thing I knew I was nearly unconscious on the tatami, and the ref was calling "ippon". Dude grabbed me by the collar with one arm and picked me up off the ground, LOL, said "good match" and went on to win the division.

I ended up fighting Danny again for 3rd place, as he lost to that same black belt.

He really, really, really wanted to beat me. And decided to beat me on the ground, because no way he was going to throw me. So we ended up on the ground for long time. He must have pinned me 4 or 5 times, and I got out, pinned him, threw him for minor scores, etc.

Finally, he got me in a pin I couldn't get out of. I nearly did, but time ran out.

After that, I NEVER entered another open weight division until I was a black belt and so serious about competition anymore.
        Falling for Judo since 1980

"You are wrong. Why? Because you move like a pregnant yak and talk like a spazzing 'I train UFC' noob." -DCS

"The best part of getting you worked up is your backpack full of irony and lies." -It Is Fake

"Banning BKR is like kicking a Quokka. It's foolishness of the first order." - Raycetpfl

Comment

I don't know about black belts or not black belts,

as I don't know what to make of the concept still,

but for 35 years, I have been doing one thing:

Giving and receiving beatings.

And while I receive...surviving, or getting back up, or going back in,

until it is my turn to catch the other guy.

That pretty much sums up my life,

on the mats and off.
          Last edited by Dr. Gonzo; 1/23/2020 9:20pm, .

Comment

Originally posted by Dr. Gonzo View Post
            It means you don't need rope to hold up your pants.

Hahahahahhhaa.

Comment

This video starts off great, and then gets fucking hilarious.

"LOOK AT THOSE HIPS...NNNNNNNGGGGHHH...THOSE ARE PRO BOWL HIPS".

Last edited by W. Rabbit; 1/23/2020 9:51pm, .

Comment

Originally posted by Dr. Gonzo View Post

as I don't know what to make of the concept still,

but for 35 years, I have been doing one thing:

Giving and receiving beatings.

And while I receive...surviving, or getting back up, or going back in,

until it is my turn to catch the other guy.

That pretty much sums up my life,

on the mats and off.
                Eloquently summed up, Dr. Gonzo.
                Falling for Judo since 1980

"You are wrong. Why? Because you move like a pregnant yak and talk like a spazzing 'I train UFC' noob." -DCS

"The best part of getting you worked up is your backpack full of irony and lies." -It Is Fake

"Banning BKR is like kicking a Quokka. It's foolishness of the first order." - Raycetpfl

Comment

Originally posted by BKR View Post
                  That is all true. You do not train to be an add kicker, tho.

I did. In my sphere of Judo, lower ranks who were serious were expected to go all out with healthy black belts.

They were supposed to not kill you, but n o t much mercy was had.
                  So true. The first gym I trained at, in the nineties, was a place called combat Ju Jitsu, kind of an eclectic mix of karate, Judo and Japanese JJ. There was not a lot of difference between training and competition, they went all out much of the time.

This thread brings back some memories. First time I walked into that gym I was a pretty successful competitive power lifter at the time. I thought I was going to be able to go through everyone with my huge strength advantage. My basic crappling knowledge allowed me to do just that with the lower belts, but the upper belts kicked my ass for about a year. After about a year my strength did at times give me an advantage over guys that were technically far superior to me.

Comment

Originally posted by goodlun View Post
                    LoL

Most white belts in this weight bracket are their cause they are a bit fat.
                    Having to deal with a 250lb wall of functional muscle...... Its brutal.
                    In some ways it feels like sandbagging but you can see from a technical standard he isn't a blue belt though he could likely compete with them.
                    Good thing white belt competition doesn't mean shit other than to learn.

I was a fat white belt and destroyed plenty of guys like that in my time simply by being better.

A little extra technique + better cardio + Confidence / shit loads of stiff muscle and roided emotions Anger/paranoia/nerves any day of the week in a fight.
                    King without a crown

Comment

Wait until you get old. Then everyone is a strongman.
                      Whitsunday Martial Arts Airlie Beach North Queensland.
                      http://www.facebook.com/#!/WhitsundayMartialArts

Comment

Originally posted by gregaquaman View Post
                        I feel personally attacked by this post.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Comment

Masters 3 next year, maybe I will be the right weight for my frame vy then as well.

Comment

Originally posted by goodlun View Post
                            Masters 3 next year, maybe I will be the right weight for my frame vy then as well.
                            We had some guys do masters boxing. And they were beasts.
                            Whitsunday Martial Arts Airlie Beach North Queensland.
                            http://www.facebook.com/#!/WhitsundayMartialArts

Comment

Shut the hell up and train.

Comment

That's right JNP.

Enjoy what time you have left on your own terms.

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                                X