Fat white belts shouldn't have to deal with this guy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by goodlun View Post
    When I do well with someone that is better than me, I always thank them for letting me work.
    While it feels good to hit a trick or get a tap from someone better as it usually means your doing something right, its always good to remember that training and competition are two very different things.
    I certainly want people working their c d e f game with me instead of just kicking my ass the whole time due to my attitude sucking.
    That is all true. You do not train to be an add kicker, tho.

I did. In my sphere of Judo, lower ranks who were serious were expected to go all out with healthy black belts.

They were supposed to not kill you, but n o t much mercy was had.

Comment

LoL

Most white belts in this weight bracket are their cause they are a bit fat.
      Having to deal with a 250lb wall of functional muscle...... Its brutal.
      In some ways it feels like sandbagging but you can see from a technical standard he isn't a blue belt though he could likely compete with them.
      Good thing white belt competition doesn't mean shit other than to learn.

From a technical standpoint, I thought he was pretty shit. Way too much space on the ground, he didn't seem to know how to use his weight, or grasp the concept of leverage. It was torture watching him in places.
      Last edited by Dung Beatles; 1/21/2020 11:35am, .

Comment

Originally posted by Dung Beatles View Post
        From a technical standpoint, I thought he was pretty shit. Way too much space on the ground, he didn't seem to know how to use his weight, or grasp the concept of leverage. It was torture watching him in places.
        He was (is?) a white belt. Go figure...

When you are a coach, the whole promotion thing gets trickier when you have a guy or gal who competes, and has superior physical and work-ethic attributes.

They learn quickly, and usually dominate in beginner-level tournaments and training. So in terms of beating their "peers", they excel, even if their technical ability is not quite up to par as quickly.

I recently had a student like that in Judo (well, last 2-3 years ago). By the time she was an orange belt, she was beating all of the women in her weight/age/skill level group, in the entire Province. Her innate athleticism and work ethic, and coachability, were/are superb.

She qualified for nationals, and went, and beat 2 established black belts for her first national championship (senior women). As a blue belt (nikyu)...imagine the consternation over that one.

She just won the Canadian Elite 8 National championships in the adult bracket, although the competition was not that difficult for her in terms of opponents. And has placed and won matches at Pan Am level, and in Europe as well. Currently trains at the Canadian Olympic Training Center in Montreal.

Outliers are like that. Makes you feel like a real stud teacher/coach, LOL.

Comment

Originally posted by BKR View Post

When you are a coach, the whole promotion thing gets trickier when you have a guy or gal who competes, and has superior physical and work-ethic attributes.

They learn quickly, and usually dominate in beginner-level tournaments and training. So in terms of beating their "peers", they excel, even if their technical ability is not quite up to par as quickly.

I recently had a student like that in Judo (well, last 2-3 years ago). By the time she was an orange belt, she was beating all of the women in her weight/age/skill level group, in the entire Province. Her innate athleticism and work ethic, and coachability, were/are superb.

She qualified for nationals, and went, and beat 2 established black belts for her first national championship (senior women). As a blue belt (nikyu)...imagine the consternation over that one.

She just won the Canadian Elite 8 National championships in the adult bracket, although the competition was not that difficult for her in terms of opponents. And has placed and won matches at Pan Am level, and in Europe as well. Currently trains at the Canadian Olympic Training Center in Montreal.

Outliers are like that. Makes you feel like a real stud teacher/coach, LOL.
          Sure does highlight some of the issues with Belts.
          Does Judo run into the same issues, as BJJ with people crying about who should and shouldn't be <insert> rank based on sand bagging or what ever?
          It seems like its more common for Judoka to compete outside of their rank so maybe not as much.
          I am not sure how much you actually follow the sport of BJJ and or Submission Grappling but their was a Blue Belt Nicky Rodriguez who had a really good run at ADCC this last year.
          Once again a wrestling athlete that putting in work at a great gym.

Comment

LOL....

I thought he was "250 lbs of functional muscle".

I did the numbers. That didn't make sense.

Comment

Sure does highlight some of the issues with Belts.
              Does Judo run into the same issues, as BJJ with people crying about who should and shouldn't be <insert> rank based on sand bagging or what ever?
              It seems like its more common for Judoka to compete outside of their rank so maybe not as much.
              I am not sure how much you actually follow the sport of BJJ and or Submission Grappling but their was a Blue Belt Nicky Rodriguez who had a really good run at ADCC this last year.
              Once again a wrestling athlete that putting in work at a great gym.
              Sandbagging does happen in Judo, but I can't recall the last time I thought I saw someone who was sandbagging. The rank system, especially for kids, is designed to have a lot of steps, as reward/encouragement.

I took teenagers and one kid who was like, 12 (they changed divisions in Canada to where no more 12 year olds at jr.nationals), to Canadian Nationals several times.

I don't recall once thinking how anybody was sandbagging on rank. The filters are in place to make sure no one who is not qualified to be there shows up. Now, my 12 year old fought a kid who was from Russia, and we had out doubts as to his true age. He was some sort of refugee, naturalized to Canada.

Nowadays, you won't see people competing much out of their rank bracket. Tournaments for adult beginners/novice/intermediate are developmental in nature. For adults in normal adult brackets, at US Nationals, I am pretty sure you have to be a black belt, or at least some sort of brown belt.

Back when I started, there were not really colored belts in Judo for adults. One organization had started using them, I think (USJA), but USJI and USJF did not. I started at 17, going on 18, and 17 was considered adult. So I got to go in the open adult divisions. So, I was fighting brown and black belts from the beginning. That is almost if not ever heard of today.

So the whole rank sandbagging thing is not prevalent, to the best of my knowledge.

Plus, shodan in Judo is NOT considered an expert rank, really.

I don't follow sport BJJ or sub-grappling. I hardly follow Judo, except for highlights and my own former students.

Belt ranks have a range of skill level. So, the ADCC who was a top level wrestler is a blue belt for what he does and his potential. Whereas, I got promoted to blue in a year, as an old fucker, and did not compete. I intended to, but my neck decided otherwise. I did get promoted before my neck went wonky, at least.

Comment

Originally posted by W. Rabbit View Post
                LOL....

I thought he was "250 lbs of functional muscle".

I did the numbers. That didn't make sense.
                I just ignored that part, as it was hyperbole, not a literal statement.

Oh literal minded one !

Comment

I just ignored that part, as it was hyperbole, not a literal statement.

Oh literal minded one !
                  No! Your suppose to take a YMAS post with a tongue in cheek title as 100% serious and literal!

Comment

No! Your suppose to take a YMAS post with a tongue in cheek title as 100% serious and literal!
                    There is literally nothing funnier than when someone does it intentionally.

You've never acted or done stand-up comedy, have you. I can tell.

Holy Moment loved that post.

Comment

OMG hahahahaha

https://www.facebook.com/11235302809...9893805691001/

Comment

Does no one ever root for the big guy to win...

Comment

Originally posted by Dr. Gonzo View Post

Comment

Robert Drysdale is quite the intellectual,

a fine historian,

and he can't be all bad, as he enjoys a fine cigar.

Comment

Originally posted by Dr. Gonzo View Post
                              Prob not...

Comment

Prob not...
                                Marvel Comics made a movie about you...

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                                X