Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BKR View Post
    DLR was invented by Judo.
    To be fair isn't it all invented by Judo?

Not that my "game" should be imitated by anyone but I usually stick to the following Guards.

Closed
    Williams(well working on adding it)
    Butterfly
    Z
    Single Leg X
    50/50
    Lock Down

Though I do prefer to play form the top.

Comment

Originally posted by goodlun View Post
      To be fair isn't it all invented by Judo?

Not that my "game" should be imitated by anyone but I usually stick to the following Guards.

Closed
      Williams(well working on adding it)
      Butterfly
      Z
      Single Leg X
      50/50
      Lock Down

Though I do prefer to play form the top.
      Butterfly is the name I could not remember.

Fancy guards for a white belt.

Comment

Butterfly is the name I could not remember.

Fancy guards for a white belt.
        Its about maintaining inside control, where I have all sorts of sweeping options in all directions.
        From Butterfly in the Gi I like a good cross side collar grip as high up and deep as possible and a good old belt grip.
        No Gi I am looking for the shoulder crunch.
        Best part about developing Butterfly is its often times easier to recover a butterfly hook than it is full guard.
        Of course their are a lot more transitional threats with a butterfly hook.
        When I have to go to an outside control, its about being able to get enough outside to threaten the omoplata or back exposure.

Comment

Its about maintaining inside control, where I have all sorts of sweeping options in all directions.
          From Butterfly in the Gi I like a good cross side collar grip as high up and deep as possible and a good old belt grip.
          No Gi I am looking for the shoulder crunch.
          Best part about developing Butterfly is its often times easier to recover a butterfly hook than it is full guard.
          Of course their are a lot more transitional threats with a butterfly hook.
          When I have to go to an outside control, its about being able to get enough outside to threaten the omoplata or back exposure.
          That all makes sense.

I learned basic butterfly stuff in Judo.

Comment

That all makes sense.

I learned basic butterfly stuff in Judo.
            Completely cogitation but I would assume that the feeling for Kuzushi you developed in doing Judo for so long that you would be able to get relatively good at Butterfly guard relatively quickly.

Comment

A guy like that tore a tendon in my neck doing a guillotine the wrong way, when I was starting to learn... not a fun time.

Comment

As long as he isn't a jerk or spazzing with all that power, meh.

A guy that just started training where I train is a competitive power lifter and brown belt. He's nice about everything in the gym during rolls, but is insanely strong.

He picked me right up in the air off a single leg. He didn't slam me or anything, but it was way too easy. I think it's more effort for me to pick my old ass up off the floor.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Comment

Completely cogitation but I would assume that the feeling for Kuzushi you developed in doing Judo for so long that you would be able to get relatively good at Butterfly guard relatively quickly.
                  Right, I would tell guys at BJJ that sweeping is basically throwing, just different position. Sort of...

Usually after they asked me how the hell I did that to them 5 times in a row while full resistance rolling.

Comment

Originally posted by lant3rn View Post
                    A guy like that tore a tendon in my neck doing a guillotine the wrong way, when I was starting to learn... not a fun time.
                    White belts and guillotines are like white belts and heel hooks...

I would roll with some big strong guys. Most of them were older guys, and were chill. It was usually the younger guys who were most dangerous.

As in "I'm a gonna choke out that blue belt with the white beard, no matter what it takes".

Comment

White belts and guillotines are like white belts and heel hooks...

I would roll with some big strong guys. Most of them were older guys, and were chill. It was usually the younger guys who were most dangerous.

As in "I'm a gonna choke out that blue belt with the white beard, no matter what it takes".
                      I can't tell you how hard I work to make sure that I do not hurt the people in the training room,

and that they do not hurt themselves.

About 2/3 of them do things that could or would hurt me badly,

if I did not prevent them from doing so via grapple fu.

Some of them are ignorant, some of them assume I am indestructible because of the 4th degree black belt thing, and many of them would like the bragging rights of making a 4th degree black belt tap.

That large group either does not realize that I am an old man, or does not care.

On the other hand, my safety is my responsibility.

Because, well, I am the 4th degree black belt.

Still, like every other middle aged man, I tend to bruise easily, and injuries at my age tend to be semi-permanent disabilities, or tend to heal, very, very slowly.

And, unlike so many of the other knuckleheads, younger than me, or my age, I don't do the testosterone and rely on skill alone.

I don't go to the gym and lift weights, and grappling is my only real exercise.

What is even funnier, I am a leukemia survivor, with pernicious anemia, artificial hips, and some progressive neurological issues.

As if making a person with my medical conditions tap or beating me would ever warrant bragging rights.

I can only say, I was an ignorant moron once, myself, in the regards of silly fighter ego.

Comment

Originally posted by Dr. Gonzo View Post
                        I can't tell you how hard I work to make sure that I do not hurt the people in the training room,

and that they do not hurt themselves.

About 2/3 of them do things that could or would hurt me badly,

if I did not prevent them from doing so via grapple fu.

Some of them are ignorant, some of them assume I am indestructible because of the 4th degree black belt thing, and many of them would like the bragging rights of making a 4th degree black belt tap.

That large group either does not realize that I am an old man, or does not care.

On the other hand, my safety is my responsibility.

Because, well, I am the 4th degree black belt.

Still, like every other middle aged man, I tend to bruise easily, and injuries at my age tend to be semi-permanent disabilities, or tend to heal, very, very slowly.

And, unlike so many of the other knuckleheads, younger than me, or my age, I don't do the testosterone and rely on skill alone.

I don't go to the gym and lift weights, and grappling is my only real exercise.

What is even funnier, I am a leukemia survivor, with pernicious anemia, artificial hips, and some progressive neurological issues.

As if making a person with my medical conditions tap or beating me would ever warrant bragging rights.

I can only say, I was an ignorant moron once, myself, in the regards of silly fighter ego.
                        Yeah, I used to take a lot of effort to beat black belts in shiai.

In practice it was expected mudansha to go hard with healthy yudansha.

As I got older, I stopped caring so much.

Comment

Once I got exposed to true elite level judo, I realized how futile...

Comment

Once I got exposed to true elite level judo, I realized how futile...
                            Ah, but in that sense, everything is futile.

On the other hand, the universe does tend to surprise us.

Sometimes the lion falls from the kick or antler of its prey.

Even the presence of life itself should constantly surprise us, and make us wonder.

Comment

Yeah, I used to take a lot of effort to beat black belts in shiai.

In practice it was expected mudansha to go hard with healthy yudansha.

As I got older, I stopped caring so much.
                              When I do well with someone that is better than me, I always thank them for letting me work.
                              While it feels good to hit a trick or get a tap from someone better as it usually means your doing something right, its always good to remember that training and competition are two very different things.
                              I certainly want people working their c d e f game with me instead of just kicking my ass the whole time due to my attitude sucking.

Comment

Originally posted by Dr. Gonzo View Post
                                Ah, but in that sense, everything is futile.

On the other hand, the universe does tend to surprise us.

Sometimes the lion falls from the kick or antler of its prey.

Even the presence of life itself should constantly surprise us, and make us wonder.

A man has got to know his limitations.

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                                X