Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The new Urban Combatives Online platform is launched! (over 140 Videos and 88 hours)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by gregaquaman View Post
    A 40 year old could also train up and compete in the masters and so gain that next level of competency.

So there are more options and incentives to get good.
    As combat sports goes, how many of them have a masters division outside of BJJ? I would assume most but I don't actually know.

Here is some light rules for Masters Boxing I like them:
    https://www.teamusa.org/usa-boxing/masters-divison
    Of the single rapier fight between valiant men, having both skill, he that is the best wrestler, or if neither of them can wrestle, the strongest man most commonly kills the other, or leaves him at his mercy.
    –George Silver, Paradoxes of Defence

Comment

A 40 year old could also train up and compete in the masters and so gain that next level of competency.

So there are more options and incentives to get good.
      Some (almost) 40-year old accountants choose to compete in the adult divisions too ;-)
      2018 Male Purple Belt Adult No Gi
      #2 Ranked Competitor - QBJJC

Comment

Originally posted by goodlun View Post
        As combat sports goes, how many of them have a masters division outside of BJJ? I would assume most but I don't actually know.

Judo does, for sure. Age and weight classes within age groups.

Up to World Championships...

Full IJF rules, but 3 minute matches instead of 4.
        Falling for Judo since 1980

"You are wrong. Why? Because you move like a pregnant yak and talk like a spazzing 'I train UFC' noob." -DCS

"The best part of getting you worked up is your backpack full of irony and lies." -It Is Fake

"Banning BKR is like kicking a Quokka. It's foolishness of the first order." - Raycetpfl

Comment

If I were physically able (without risking being paralyzed) I'd be competing in age-weight class BJJ events, no problem.

My neck says otherwise, though.
          Falling for Judo since 1980

"You are wrong. Why? Because you move like a pregnant yak and talk like a spazzing 'I train UFC' noob." -DCS

"The best part of getting you worked up is your backpack full of irony and lies." -It Is Fake

"Banning BKR is like kicking a Quokka. It's foolishness of the first order." - Raycetpfl

Comment

Originally posted by Krampus View Post
            I have a rule I try to follow:

Avoid fighting naked people.

I don't mind gi, or no gi, but I draw the line at no drawers.
            But that's how the Greasy Strangler wins, Gonzo.

You have to be prepared to go all in.

Comment

Originally posted by cualltaigh View Post
              Some (almost) 40-year old accountants choose to compete in the adult divisions too ;-)
              Cyborg Abreu is the No-gi Ultra-Heavy Champ.

He beat the winner of the open division on the way to that title. He lost to him in the finals of the open division.

Cyborg is 37.
              The Caucasian always has stronger strength and when comes to grappling, Caucasians mostly win easily. I do know grappling and if I used it on Asians my size, it works. - Kung Fu dude that got waxed at OneFc try out.

Comment

Originally posted by Hodr View Post
                Cyborg Abreu is the No-gi Ultra-Heavy Champ.

He beat the winner of the open division on the way to that title. He lost to him in the finals of the open division.

Cyborg is 37.
                Yes, but is it fair to compare world class athletes with random joes, regardless of their respective ages?
                Shut the hell up and train.

Comment

Originally posted by jnp View Post
                  Yes, but is it fair to compare world class athletes with random joes, regardless of their respective ages?
                  I was wrong hes 38 and is better now than in 2008.

If random Joes suck and are snatches its not because of being 40. They will have to look for another reason.

My teachers still trounce UFC fighters.

Romulo barral still wrecks everyone at his academy per Keenan. His academy is filled with world champs.
                  The Caucasian always has stronger strength and when comes to grappling, Caucasians mostly win easily. I do know grappling and if I used it on Asians my size, it works. - Kung Fu dude that got waxed at OneFc try out.

Comment

Originally posted by goodlun View Post

We had some guys do the last one. Adilade I think. As a piece of trivia one of them was Troy Dunn.

Everything in the Olympics I think has a masters. So wrestling, judo, TKD I suppose.
                    Whitsunday Martial Arts Airlie Beach North Queensland.
                    http://www.facebook.com/#!/WhitsundayMartialArts

Comment

Originally posted by jnp View Post
                      In this instance I would say yeah, why not?

Give an average Joe world class athletic training and you never know.

I mean it used to be that only the best hardest humans competed MMA. Now people take them off the street train them for 12 weeks and throw them in the ring.
                      Whitsunday Martial Arts Airlie Beach North Queensland.
                      http://www.facebook.com/#!/WhitsundayMartialArts

Comment

In this instance I would say yeah, why not?

Give an average Joe world class athletic training and you never know.

I mean it used to be that only the best hardest humans competed MMA. Now people take them off the street train them for 12 weeks and throw them in the ring.
                        Not to mention, kiddie MMA is a thing now, which I personally find inhumane, but loads of parents seem all too eager to let their kids turn into bangers at really young ages.

Did OP really pay for a business membership to promote this stuff? That was pretty ballzy.

Comment

Originally posted by Ice Hole View Post
                          Not to mention, kiddie MMA is a thing now, which I personally find inhumane, but loads of parents seem all too eager to let their kids turn into bangers at really young ages.
                          I am not too sure its any worse than any other kiddie combat sport, even Judo and Wrestling can have some pretty big throws, then any sort of striking has its issues.
                          I personally don't think kids should be striking below the age of I don't know say 12(really depends on the maturity). However their are people on here that don't think they should be doing chokes or joint locks either.
                          So I don't know its up to the parents to parent I guess.

Originally posted by Ice Hole View Post
                          Did OP really pay for a business membership to promote this stuff? That was pretty ballzy.
                          Well two factors,
                          1 they probably really believe that they are delivering a quality product.
                          2 they likely think paying might keep them safe from a heaping amount of criticism, and you can't blame them for that cause that is how a lot of message boards work.
                          Of the single rapier fight between valiant men, having both skill, he that is the best wrestler, or if neither of them can wrestle, the strongest man most commonly kills the other, or leaves him at his mercy.
                          –George Silver, Paradoxes of Defence

Comment

A lot of this RBSD stuff requires a lot of thinking. Which isn't what you're going to be relying on when someone starts trying to punch you in the face and your brain fucks off.

You need to build instinct. Which ain't going to happen pissing about with a YouTube training video unless you've convinced grandma to glue her teeth in and go in for the rape choke.
                            "BJJ!!! Guard can't protect you from collapsing gym roof, tough guy!" - W. Rabbit

Comment

Originally posted by Gold,frankincenseandSPRAWL! View Post
                              A lot of this RBSD stuff requires a lot of thinking. Which isn't what you're going to be relying on when someone starts trying to punch you in the face and your brain fucks off.

You need to build instinct. Which ain't going to happen pissing about with a YouTube training video unless you've convinced grandma to glue her teeth in and go in for the rape choke.
                              This is why Systema is always so suspect. The point of Systema is never "realistic" in the RBSD sense.

It's about dressing up as Spetznas in the woods and doing careless things for YouTube views. The more carleless the weapon handling, the more views.

I watch RBSD videos for the same reason people watch skateboarding or parkour fail videos. Enlightenment.

Comment

I don't think I've come across an RBSD system that was based in reality. Not saying they don't exist but I've yet to see one. The problem lies in its way of being taught. It's offering step solutions to something that's just a tad too dynamic than that.

They ask you to think "Some one throws you against the wall, he's going to beat you up, what you going to do" as opposed to just teaching you to fight, where your heads going to be working instinctually, with the quick process of "He's open, I'm going to punch him like I would any other dickhead that's open".
                                "BJJ!!! Guard can't protect you from collapsing gym roof, tough guy!" - W. Rabbit

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                                X