Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The new Urban Combatives Online platform is launched! (over 140 Videos and 88 hours)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by CTG View Post
    I know that martial artists often have the problem that they cannot find their way into asymmetrical situations. They are always used to their rules and the symmetry of the sport. Or they assume that every opponent is a fully trained martial artist. In the Combatives we focus more on the topic of surprise, if that doesn't work, you can still box whatever.
    Just curious, what is your experience of “real” fights?

Comment

In the Combatives we focus more on the topic of surprise, if that doesn't work, you can still box whatever.
      Yeah about that? Do you mean you are suprising the attacker or they are suprising you?
      I have never been surprised before a street fight or aggressive confrontation.

There are so few situations that would be actually suprising before violence. If you're actually surprised your situational awareness is what needs work, not fighting off a surprise attack. If a surprise attack is done right.... no can defend and you're dead or KOed. If its done poorly you will be awake and know how to get into the fight due you're 1000's of hours of fighting live.
      The Caucasian always has stronger strength and when comes to grappling, Caucasians mostly win easily. I do know grappling and if I used it on Asians my size, it works. - Kung Fu dude that got waxed at OneFc try out.

Comment

Oh good we are in YMAS now

Because of this, Lee Morrison is one of the few who attach great importance to psychological education. It's not the usual aerobics Krav Maga thing.
        The only way to inculcate people against the psychological properties that center around violence is by exposing them violence.
        Most RBSD violence is silly.
        Also the rest of the shit you said is fucking stupid.
        Not sure why people keep talking about fighting in fucking elevators talk about the dumbest place to assault someone or in a car or in a bathroom.
        I have never ever been in a fucking fight in a god damn bathroom.
        You know what works best in confined spaces grappling.
        Of the single rapier fight between valiant men, having both skill, he that is the best wrestler, or if neither of them can wrestle, the strongest man most commonly kills the other, or leaves him at his mercy.
        –George Silver, Paradoxes of Defence

Comment

I have a rule I try to follow:

Avoid fighting naked people.

I don't mind gi, or no gi, but I draw the line at no drawers.

Comment

I know that martial artists often have the problem that they cannot find their way into asymmetrical situations. They are always used to their rules and the symmetry of the sport. Or they assume that every opponent is a fully trained martial artist. In the Combatives we focus more on the topic of surprise, if that doesn't work, you can still box whatever.
            Of course if you can dominate a trained fighter when you are bound by rules you have a better chance of dominating a Gumby if you are free to do what you want?
            Whitsunday Martial Arts Airlie Beach North Queensland.
            http://www.facebook.com/#!/WhitsundayMartialArts

Comment

Originally posted by goodlun View Post

The only way to inculcate people against the psychological properties that center around violence is by exposing them violence.
              Not sure why people keep talking about fighting in fucking elevators talk about the dumbest place to assault someone or in a car or in a bathroom.
              I fought 4 guys at a bathroom door once. That worked out pretty well considering.

Comment

Originally posted by gregaquaman View Post
                I fought 4 guys at a bathroom door once. That worked out pretty well considering.
                Threw the wrong hand signs at the air port bathroom ,huh? just trying to ask for a spare bit of TP and they get aggressive.
                The Caucasian always has stronger strength and when comes to grappling, Caucasians mostly win easily. I do know grappling and if I used it on Asians my size, it works. - Kung Fu dude that got waxed at OneFc try out.

Comment

when you are bound by rules
                  I always found the whole rules trope interesting.
                  One every fight has rules, including self defense fights, you sure are going to get in a shit load of trouble if you poke franks eye out at the company Christmas party because after a few too many drinks he though you where checking out his wife which of course you where cause man does she have some nice sweater puppies and that skirt was so so so short.
                  The truth is most of these people don't understand what is actually meant by you fight like you train and that is, you fight with the timing, energy, and discipline not necessarily the specific tactics.
                  Baring the fact that its possible to cross train for a number of different rule sets that require different tactics but the same delivery vechile.
                  You adjust your training all the time based on whom your training with. I certainly approach the way I train when rolling with a day one guy vs a guy I am better than vs someone that is as good as me vs someone better vs competing.
                  Even from day to day while training with that wide verity of skill levels, body types, levels of athleticism, gi, no gi, with weapons, with strikes, what ever. I also vary up how I am training based on what I am actually trying to accomplish with my training.
                  Am I working on getting out of bad positions, am I working on a specific position, am I working on what we just cover in class, am I working on a specific technique or body movement?
                  Lets get back to that working on what we just covered, this is a situation where I will pick out partners that are not as good as me so that I can set up those scenarios to work on what ever the heck we where drilling in a live manner.
                  The whole point is that even when things are kind of thought less, their seems to be an ability to apply a template to ones actions as a sports fighter and that we are certainly not bound to the "rules" every where we go.

Of course I know you know this as well as any frequent member of this site or anyone that trains in a combat sport.

Then one final thing and the most important thing of all.
                  "A bad plan well executed is better than a good plan poorly executed"
                  Of the single rapier fight between valiant men, having both skill, he that is the best wrestler, or if neither of them can wrestle, the strongest man most commonly kills the other, or leaves him at his mercy.

Comment

Originally posted by Hodr View Post
                    Threw the wrong hand signs at the air port bathroom ,huh? just trying to ask for a spare bit of TP and they get aggressive.
                    Nah some dude got in to a fight with a guy and didn't realise he had 4 friends. Came screaming inside terrified so I threw him in the toilet to hide and fought of the friends in the doorway.

Comment

I always found the whole rules trope interesting.
                      One every fight has rules, including self defense fights, you sure are going to get in a shit load of trouble if you poke franks eye out at the company Christmas party because after a few too many drinks he though you where checking out his wife which of course you where cause man does she have some nice sweater puppies and that skirt was so so so short.
                      The truth is most of these people don't understand what is actually meant by you fight like you train and that is, you fight with the timing, energy, and discipline not necessarily the specific tactics.
                      Baring the fact that its possible to cross train for a number of different rule sets that require different tactics but the same delivery vechile.
                      You adjust your training all the time based on whom your training with. I certainly approach the way I train when rolling with a day one guy vs a guy I am better than vs someone that is as good as me vs someone better vs competing.
                      Even from day to day while training with that wide verity of skill levels, body types, levels of athleticism, gi, no gi, with weapons, with strikes, what ever. I also vary up how I am training based on what I am actually trying to accomplish with my training.
                      Am I working on getting out of bad positions, am I working on a specific position, am I working on what we just cover in class, am I working on a specific technique or body movement?
                      Lets get back to that working on what we just covered, this is a situation where I will pick out partners that are not as good as me so that I can set up those scenarios to work on what ever the heck we where drilling in a live manner.
                      The whole point is that even when things are kind of thought less, their seems to be an ability to apply a template to ones actions as a sports fighter and that we are certainly not bound to the "rules" every where we go.

Of course I know you know this as well as any frequent member of this site or anyone that trains in a combat sport.

Then one final thing and the most important thing of all.
                      "A bad plan well executed is better than a good plan poorly executed"
                      The thing is say you get Mike Tyson put him in a pair of 16s and tell him he can only punch. Then fight him with every dirty trick you can think of. I still think the smart Money is he will knock you out.

I mean speaking of asymmetric fights.

So even if rules were exactly followed there is still enough hurt in a system to defend yourself.

This is why BJJ guys win street fights wven though tactically they do some pretty silly things from a street perspective.

But otherwise yes. Developing concept and mental elasticity tends to get overlooked with these discussions. I mean say I find myself on an unfamiliar surface. Well whoop de doop. Did I really have to train on every surface imaginable to be able to function?
                      Last edited by gregaquaman; 12/16/2019 1:46am, .

Comment

Originally posted by Krampus View Post
                        I have a rule I try to follow:

Avoid fighting naked people.

I don't mind gi, or no gi, but I draw the line at no drawers.
                        I've fought someone in a cell that was naked and also smeared feces all over himself. Once you calm down and relax into the situation, about the only thing that is working there is no gi wrestling combined with strength and weight advantage. I've also fought someone naked covered in pepper spray. You think someone is mad? Load them up with pepper spray and mental illness. That's a pretty nasty recipe. Only certain types of people are willing to enter into that situation. The good thing is you get to find out who has your back and who doesn't. Those are the guys you drink with on the weekend.

All that being said, the training I've always done for these "street" situations is nogi wrestling and kickboxing. All the screaming and red man suit RBSD shit can be addressed within those two training methodologies, IMO. I later added DBMA stick fighting into my training which subsequently saved either my life or severe brain damage. But that's another story.
                        Combatives training log.

Gezere: paraphrase from Bas Rutten, Never escalate the level of violence in fight you are losing. :D

Drum thread

Pavel Tsatsouline: kettlebell workouts give you “cardio without the dishonour of aerobics”.

"Disliking someone is not evidence of wrongdoing or malfeasance or even bias." --Dung Beatles

Comment

The thing is say you get Mike Tyson put him in a pair of 16s and tell him he can only punch. Then fight him with every dirty trick you can think of. I still think the smart Money is he will knock you out.

I mean speaking of asymmetric fights.
                          I mean of course Mike Tyson isn't exactly a fair comparison not to many people are going to try and start a fight with him.
                          The real question is how badly is that 40 year old Accountant that shows up to the Boxing Gym just to get a work out but you know is sparring and all that stuff, going to fuck you(the general you not the you you) up.
                          I wager I much rather fight some random street tough than that 40 year old accountant even though I stylistically match up fine with a boxer of ~equivalent experience / size / athleticism

Comment

I mean of course Mike Tyson isn't exactly a fair comparison not to many people are going to try and start a fight with him.
                            The real question is how badly is that 40 year old Accountant that shows up to the Boxing Gym just to get a work out but you know is sparring and all that stuff, going to fuck you(the general you not the you you) up.
                            I wager I much rather fight some random street tough than that 40 year old accountant even though I stylistically match up fine with a boxer of ~equivalent experience / size / athleticism
                            I think someone who does Tae Bo 3 days a week will probably be better than the average fat American.
                            Combatives training log.

Gezere: paraphrase from Bas Rutten, Never escalate the level of violence in fight you are losing. :D

Drum thread

Pavel Tsatsouline: kettlebell workouts give you “cardio without the dishonour of aerobics”.

"Disliking someone is not evidence of wrongdoing or malfeasance or even bias." --Dung Beatles

Comment

Originally posted by Cousin Eddie View Post
                              I think someone who does Tae Bo 3 days a week will probably be better than the average fat American.
                              I would argue that someone that does Tae Bo would likely own most of the other forms only martial artist.

Comment

A 40 year old could also train up and compete in the masters and so gain that next level of competency.

So there are more options and incentives to get good.

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                                X