No announcement yet.

A Bad Time At a Shaolin Kung Fu School

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I realize you had a really bad experience, and I sympathize, but the MA community still has a lot to offer. Some psychos do feel drawn to it, but if you train in a positive environment, those people will either change or go away. And if they don't, well, you go away or take charge of the situation and make them go away.

Taijiquan might be good for you because there isn't a lot of people practicing it who want to fight, but it's still a Martial Art. Well, a classical one that isn't popular in combat sports. Usually you don't need to do push-hands with resistance if you train Taijiquan. There's no need to, but you're losing part of the experience that defines it as a Martial Art.

Martial Arts can be about much more than hurting people. If you decide to stick with it, I believe you won't regret it. If not, good luck on your struggles.

Enviado de meu SM-G950F usando o Tapatalk

Comment

This is why a bullshido detector is critical early on, it'll save you years of fear, stress, and cash. Nobody wants to be the dude (and we have many here) who gets that burst bubble after investing so much (which in some cases involves finding out your "master" is a fraud, felon, rapist, abuser, etc.)

It's important to find out what motivates people to train so you can work with them better, and what motivates instructors to want to train, so you can identify red flags. I trained at a legit school in every art I took because after Judo, I had a great sense of the physical and mental requirements of a living art. Practically everyone in kung fu, judo, BJJ, Muay Thai etc (minus a few bad apples) was on the up and up. People were honest about why they trained, and even though a lot of us competed in some form or another, the "this training will make you a master killer" stuff was absent.

I have one senior brother with muscular dystrophy who trains in Hung Ga mostly for the qigong, because (according to him) it's allowed him to still be able to raise his arms. He still reaches out now and then to train with me. That sort of motivation makes my heart ache, but also reminds me of the importance of sticking with any kind of training.

BJJ was one of my favorite places to test out kung fu theories, and funny enough, they all worked very, very well, right down to the breathing techniques (as an asthmatic, my motivation for training martial arts is nothing more than being able to breath under pressure).

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
      X