No announcement yet.

How Many People Waste Time in Martial Arts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I started with occasional Sambo class at 14 but still had a hunger to larp. Asked bullshido about ninjutsu schools and got schooled. Lmao.

Comment

Did TKD as a kid but not much.
      I knew bjj was the truth when I saw Royce wreck everyone as a kid.
      i didn't start training until like 2008 though.
      The Caucasian always has stronger strength and when comes to grappling, Caucasians mostly win easily. I do know grappling and if I used it on Asians my size, it works. - Kung Fu dude that got waxed at OneFc try out.

Comment

Originally posted by Myn View Post

Even as a super broken person you should be able to do BJJ if you are able to do Karate. John Danaher is one of the highest figures in the sport and he has 3 hip replacements, no ligaments in either of his knees, several damaged disks, and the list goes on. He is still able to practice. I'd strongly suggest checking out a local BJJ place and giving it a month or two (after the apocalypse is over, ofc)
        I have been training sporadically in BJJ for over a decade now. I know pretty well what I can do and cannot do. I have a bad hip and no means to have it replaced. I cannot even get up the floor on my own on one side after doing minor stretching, much less shrimp or twist with someone on top of me. I have multiple disk damage and last time I tried to do a fancy guard move my back cracked loudly so that everyone around me could hear it. I tried to teach a beginner a simple armbar from guard and my hip would not let me position the legs to do it, something I could do in my sleep just a year and a half ago. I have a collapsed ankle so I can no longer do most kicks or throws. I no longer spar. Much less roll. I can barely walk sometimes. I have trouble climbing stairs.

When I say I can do karate, it is the crap karate I am expected to do at the place I used to go. I have 35+ years of experience on karate and other standup arts, so I can teach and do basics without much trouble because I can do it without unnecessary tension and I know well what moves I can do and which ones cannot. I do mostly bag work without kicks now.

And all of this is now purely academic. All schools are now closed because of Covid. I have not done anything but simple stretchs and shadow boxing for months. I have lost the last bits of flexibility and endurance I had. I don't know if I will ever get anything back now.

Comment

Originally posted by ksennin View Post

I have been training sporadically in BJJ for over a decade now. I know pretty well what I can do and cannot do. I have a bad hip and no means to have it replaced. I cannot even get up the floor on my own on one side after doing minor stretching, much less shrimp or twist with someone on top of me. I have multiple disk damage and last time I tried to do a fancy guard move my back cracked loudly so that everyone around me could hear it. I tried to teach a beginner a simple armbar from guard and my hip would not let me position the legs to do it, something I could do in my sleep just a year and a half ago. I have a collapsed ankle so I can no longer do most kicks or throws. I no longer spar. Much less roll. I can barely walk sometimes. I have trouble climbing stairs.

When I say I can do karate, it is the crap karate I am expected to do at the place I used to go. I have 35+ years of experience on karate and other standup arts, so I can teach and do basics without much trouble because I can do it without unnecessary tension and I know well what moves I can do and which ones cannot. I do mostly bag work without kicks now.

And all of this is now purely academic. All schools are now closed because of Covid. I have not done anything but simple stretchs and shadow boxing for months. I have lost the last bits of flexibility and endurance I had. I don't know if I will ever get anything back now.
          Have you tried the YogaforBJJ program? Sebastian is a great teacher. He recovered from 4 herniated disks with yoga, and generally speaking its a fantastic way to restore mobility to your body.

Comment

Originally posted by Myn View Post

Have you tried the YogaforBJJ program? Sebastian is a great teacher. He recovered from 4 herniated disks with yoga, and generally speaking its a fantastic way to restore mobility to your body.
            As a yoga instructor now, I can honestly say yoga has done more for my sciatica and slipped disk in the 200 hour practical course I did than any physio I got over 18 months. I honestly think I'd focus down the yoga route these days

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
            X