Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Man Who Took the Gracie Challenge and Lost!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

People Who beat Gracies/Bjj Champs without Bjj?

Igor vs Sperry

Comment

Mark Kerr vs Fabio Gurgel

Comment

Originally posted by Dr. Gonzo View Post
        Throughout the nineties, flukes happened.

In general, most trained fighters and untrained fighters that came into Gracie Jiu-Jitsu rooms looking for a fight were beaten, sometimes multiple times, just to prove the point.

But, fluke losses did occur.

Strike connected from a sloppy clinch attempt.

A freak headlock around the temples caused the jiu-jitsu man to go out.

A Judo man would get the ezekiel.

Point of trivia, the ezekiel is called the ezekiel because a Judo black belt choked a BJJ black belt out with it.
        The last paragraph I knew...was more than one, wasn't it?

Losing is losing...

Comment

I was not considering pro fights.

Comment

Originally posted by lant3rn View Post
            I should.. Japan is literally on the other side of the world... but its on the list. I have a cousin there.
            https://www.mmaweekly.com/sakurabas-...ufc-fight-pass

They have them here too.

Comment

Originally posted by BKR View Post
              Losing is losing...
              I don't disagree.

Rayce is presenting notable ring fights.

I was referring more to the standing practice at most Gracie gyms that if a walk in came in and wanted a vale tudo fight, they were accommodated.

The vast, vast majority of those challenge fights resulted in domination by whomever the Gracie Jiu-Jitsu gym had provide the Gracie Jiu-Jitsu demonstration.

But, outliers occurred, sometimes teeth were knocked out, fingers got broke at bad angles, cuts occurred, and emergency room trips did happen.

Comment

Just like in almost every Jiu-Jitsu seminar I have given to "traditional martial arts" schools for almost 30 years,

there is always some yahoo that in the middle of demonstrating (teaching) a technique will go for your eye or a groin grab, or a groin strike.

It is such a common occurrence, that at least in my lineage, we teach people who give Jiu-Jitsu seminars to expect it,

and train prepared counter maneuvers prior to giving seminars to those types of schools.

Comment

Originally posted by Raycetpfl View Post
                  It is a great shot.

An autograph from Saku? Go to one of his grappling events.

I got Royce to sign one of my brown belts. Royce was a childhood hero. He's a nice guy.
                  I binge watched the first 5 UFCs on tape in college. That's what made me take up Judo, Royce's whole persona and attitude.

The early UFC contenders were by and large a lot of knuckleheads, and I loved that none of them saw him coming. Especially the Dan Severns and Ken Shamrocks of the world who should have known better.

My only regret was that Royce never had to fight a ninja.

Comment

If its ever in Canada I would go hands down, and it would be great if they did a fan signing. I would want to get Josh Barnett's autograph as well.

Comment

I don't disagree.

I was referring more to the standing practice at most Gracie gyms that if a walk in came in and wanted a vale tudo fight, they were accommodated.

The vast, vast majority of those challenge fights resulted in domination by whomever the Gracie Jiu-Jitsu gym had provide the Gracie Jiu-Jitsu demonstration.

But, outliers occurred, sometimes teeth were knocked out, fingers got broke at bad angles, cuts occurred, and emergency room trips did happen.
                      Per Rickson

Marco Rua and Rickson fought to a draw. If he made it to Rickson I assume he crashed or submitted a Gracie representative or 5 before he got a match with Rickson.

Guys would come in the Gracie Academy and ask to fight Royce. They would get a tough blue belt and generally get tapped quick by them.
                      All of my teachers have done them.

Comment

I don't disagree.

Dojo/Dojang/Kwoon storming between schools is as old as time, but where I always thought the Gracie clan shine was getting it above board and in the open, going back to Helio and Kimura.

In the old "fighting school" eras this type of thing, if it even happened beyond posturing, was hidden away to save face for the losers. Winning came with bragging rights and maybe new students.

GC was like "nope, let's tape this and publish it". That pretty much opened the door to the more transparent, sportsmanlike quality in MMA now.

Comment

Per Rickson

Marco Rua and Rickson fought to a draw. If he made it to Rickson I assume he crashed or submitted a Gracie representative or 5 before he got a match with Rickson.
                          Marco Ruas did not fight Rickson.

Rickson fought Hugo Duarte from the Luta Livre group, on the beach, and made a point to rub sand in Duarte's face at will while mounting him.

Rickson fought Duarte again, during the dojo storm of the Gracie Academy by the Luta Livre group. Duarte again tapped out to ground and pound.

Marco Ruas fought Pinduka, to a draw, and it was a very tough fight, and Pinduka was a very tough Jiu-Jitsu fighter. That was a Vale Tudo fight in the ring.

Joe Moreira promoted Ruas to black belt in Jiu-Jitsu years later.

A move that was criticized by some notable high level black belts in the Jiu-Jitsu community.
                          Last edited by Dr. Gonzo; 11/14/2019 8:32pm, .

Comment

Just like in almost every Jiu-Jitsu seminar I have given to "traditional martial arts" schools for almost 30 years,

there is always some yahoo that in the middle of demonstrating (teaching) a technique will go for your eye or a groin grab, or a groin strike.

It is such a common occurrence, that at least in my lineage, we teach people who give Jiu-Jitsu seminars to expect it,

and train prepared counter maneuvers prior to giving seminars to those types of schools.
                            Fucken children, obviously their tired and require a nap.

Comment

Marco Ruas did not fight Rickson.

Rickson fought Hugo Duarte from the Luta Livre group, on the beach, and made a point to rub sand in Duarte's face at will while mounting him.

Marco Ruas fought Pinduka, to a draw, and it was a very tough fight, and Pinduka was a very tough Jiu-Jitsu fighter. That was a Vale Tudo fight in the ring.

Joe Moreira promoted Ruas to black belt in Jiu-Jitsu years later.

A move that was criticized by notable high level black belts in the Jiu-Jitsu community.
                              Then I had bad info. that's the problem with dojo storms , its all word of mouth.

Comment

Then I had bad info.
                                Here's the deal, and this applies to what I posted, too.

There is what really happened, and there is the spin of it, like what is sometimes called the "telephone game" or "whisper down the lane".

Some of this stuff is caught on video.

Other bits of the story are urban legend, that will vary depending on who is reporting, and which point of view they got their telephone game from.

In all cases, it is interesting, though.

Some things I got to see with my own eyes, and some of those things were stranger than people realize.

ie, seeing Wallid Ismail pull off his ear rings and challenge the entire Gracie Barra gym to fight at the world tournament.

Or Ryan and Wallid proving that every black belt should train punch defense to standing headlocks by the impromptu scuffle.

Which is probably why Ralph didn't think twice before starting a fight at the world tournament.

That was just Ralph being Ralph and doing what he, and a lot of the jiu-jitsu community in Brazil, had been doing his whole life.

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                                X