Let's compare injuries

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jnp View Post
    I have been choked unconscious more times than I could count when I was a white belt. Total wrestler mentality back then.
    “This choke won’t work on me! I can get out! I can . . .” *snore*
    I got choked out once when a guy on my back crossed his ankles before me. So I went for the good ol' trusty hiza-tori-garami counter but it turned out this guy had ankles made of rubber or sumthin' and the pressure on them did nothing. So I kept trying to fix the angle or position to get it to work. And suddenly I was waking up from dreamland and I did not even know how long I was out.

Comment

I've had a fairly injury free martial arts career/life. Many painful shots to the liver and balls. Once knocked out by a front leg roundhouse to the jaw, woke up with a circle of people looking down at me. Took another roundhouse kick to the face at a Dog Brothers gathering several years ago, it dented my fencing mask in and the dented mask cut my nose open and scarred my face to this day. Had a sternum injury from someone landing on me after being thrown in a pankration tournament, it hurt to laugh for weeks. Had my arm in a sling after a hard fall on the asphalt while street paddleboarding, messed up my clavicle and had some nerve impingement. Have had tennis elbow while training FMA and historical fencing. Got another scar on my nose while installing an HVAC fitting at work (as a sheet metal worker, I've gotten more cuts and scrapes than I can count, nothing serious though). The fitting came loose unexpectedly while I was trying to rotate it and an unfinished metal edge hit me in the face. When I was in 5th grade, a coyote attacked me while camping in the Anza Borrego desert, biting my bare left foot and shaking its head to enlarge the wounds. I still have scars from that too, and honestly I hope they never go away, because that story sounds like bullshit. All that pales in comparison to a lot of the war stories here.

Comment

Oh, I lost a front tooth. Got it knocked out on a linoleum floor in a scuffle in gradeschool, and it was knocked out all the way at the root, and a dentist said since its not broken we should try to put it back in and hope it reattaches. Well, we did, and it seemed to recover okay, but had a few dental issues along the way. Decades later, I developed a mysterious infection in the root and had to have it extracted. Went without a front tooth for like a year while the socket recovered, and had a temporary (aka a flipper) I had to take out to eat. It was pretty embarassing, but I vowed I'd have a little fun with it. I dressed as a pirate for Halloween and took out my tooth all day, as I worked a public facing job (budtender). I remember a BJJ coach showed up, and thought it was funny, and took out his own flipper, which actually had more than one fake teeth attached! Got a nice expensive new front tooth now.

Comment

Originally posted by Permalost View Post
          Oh, I lost a front tooth. Got it knocked out on a linoleum floor in a scuffle in gradeschool, and it was knocked out all the way at the root, and a dentist said since its not broken we should try to put it back in and hope it reattaches. Well, we did, and it seemed to recover okay, but had a few dental issues along the way. Decades later, I developed a mysterious infection in the root and had to have it extracted. Went without a front tooth for like a year while the socket recovered, and had a temporary (aka a flipper) I had to take out to eat. It was pretty embarassing, but I vowed I'd have a little fun with it. I dressed as a pirate for Halloween and took out my tooth all day, as I worked a public facing job (budtender). I remember a BJJ coach showed up, and thought it was funny, and took out his own flipper, which actually had more than one fake teeth attached! Got a nice expensive new front tooth now.
          I once dated a girl with a flipper. That's not what she called it. Let me tell you about the time we were making out on the floor, and the flipper came out and tried to lodge itself in the back of my throat. That was fucking weird. We still had lots of sex, though.
          Consider for a moment that there is no meme about brown-haired, brown-eyed step children.

Comment

Originally posted by gold_ax666 View Post
            Why do we do it...?
            A combination of self hatred and a desire to be able to do ninja shit in my case.

Comment

Originally posted by ghost55 View Post
              A combination of self hatred and a desire to be able to do ninja shit in my case.
              You seem to have moderated the self hate, which is a good thing.

Ninja shit, try parkour...no need for martial arts.

Comment

Originally posted by submessenger View Post
                I once dated a girl with a flipper. That's not what she called it. Let me tell you about the time we were making out on the floor, and the flipper came out and tried to lodge itself in the back of my throat. That was fucking weird. We still had lots of sex, though.
                Thats hilarious. I was driving to my first day of a welding class when I realized I forgot my flipper, so I was a few minutes late after going home to grab it. The teacher wasn't gonna let me in, so I pulled out my front tooth to give him my sob story and he let me in.

Comment

I read sub’s post with no knowledge of what a ‘flipper’ was - pictured him with some sort of aquatic furrie.

Comment

Originally posted by BKR View Post
                    You seem to have moderated the self hate, which is a good thing.

Ninja shit, try parkour...no need for martial arts.
                    I've been looking at trying it. By ninja shit I more meant fight back when I had a very... special idea of what that looked like.

Comment

I've been looking at trying it. By ninja shit I more meant fight back when I had a very... special idea of what that looked like.
                      I think of Ninja shit as mostly acrobatics/gymnastics, theatrical stuff. Hatsumi was some sort of actor along those lines, I think, as well as being a bone-setter.

Comment

Originally posted by Holy Moment View Post
                        Hydrocele

Nocturia

Artificial sweetener-induced diarrhea

Swollen biceps

Downs Syndrome
                        Synthol injection injuries don't count.

Comment

Originally posted by Lily View Post
                          You’re on the diarrhoea tea?

I’m so damn scared I’m going to have Parkinson’s when I’m older - walked into many a door.
                          So this isn't known to many, but it turns out regular sauna usage is strongly associated with lower rates of later age neurological disorders including dementia and Alzheimer's.

That's on top of the existing post workout benefits of sauna/steam baths.

Given the relationship between Parkinson's and dementia I've wondered about sauna effects on then former...

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/m/pubmed/27932366/

Comment

Originally posted by jnp View Post
                            I’m not writing all that shit out only to have it used against me at the next Austin Throwdown. Actually, I know I’m not that important. I’m just to lazy to type it all up.

I have been choked unconscious more times than I could count when I was a white belt. Total wrestler mentality back then.

“This choke won’t work on me! I can get out! I can . . .” *snore*
                            Agreed. I had a training partner who competed and made the mistake of telling his opponent that he had a bum knee from a previous comp injury.

I guess he assumed poorly, because that leg was the opponents go-to target, and my friend was easily swept over and over.

My injuries (all of which ended training) were pretty basic: torn shoulder, busted knee, some really nasty subdermal hematoma (yay jow) and one particularly lovely eye gash (glue, nonstiches).
                            Last edited by W. Rabbit; 10/25/2019 10:41am, .

Comment

Originally posted by BKR View Post
                              I think of Ninja shit as mostly acrobatics/gymnastics, theatrical stuff. Hatsumi was some sort of actor along those lines, I think, as well as being a bone-setter.
                              I literally wanted to be Rama from The Raid. It's a good thing silat is rare as fuck 'round these parts.

Comment

I literally wanted to be Rama from The Raid. It's a good thing silat is rare as fuck 'round these parts.
                                Well, everybody grows up eventually.

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                                X