Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Question

I was training at this particular studio for around four years. Around the time I entered my instructors "expert level" curriculum I started to notice A few things that seemed odd to me. At first it really seemed to be all about family but I noticed changes with him overtime. I didn't say anything and kept it to myself because I didn't want to rock the boat.

In may I received my "blackbelt" and yes I put it that way for a reason. After this last test and a few more people received their blackbelts my old instructor sent out a text stating his goals for his dojo and what to do in order to receive your 2nd degree belt and so on. Now here is the shady thing. He wants his "coaches" to teach his curriculum for him. One of the standards you need to get your blackbelt is to teach 50 hours. That is fine and all but the thing is after a "coach" has received their 50 hours that he told me he will not compensate his coaches for their time. He expects them to run his classes for him and promote his business. He continually presses for his instructor level students to teach his classes and says "that is how you really start to learn the material." I told him if I came back I would need compensation for my time and he said that the offer was only for people that want to move up in rank and stated that the "knowledge and experience" is enough compensation for their time, and effort. He will not pay his Krav Maga coaches yet he does pay his fitness and BJJ instructors. I told him that this is an integrity issue and I wouldn't expect him to teach one of my courses (I am a firearms instructor) without compensation. The whole thing reeks to me. Lastly, he is telling his students that he can promote to them to the 2nd, 3rd, & 4th degree blackbelts, yet he only has his 1st degree. I don't see how he can promote someone to a belt that he has not earned himself. I know he mentioned before that his old instructor was a con artist and was very defensive when he was brought up and to not believe anything that guy may tell you about him. I looked into and his old instructor mentioned that he is only a probationary black belt. At this point I'm utterly disgusted with the way he has handled his business and the fact he is taking advantage of his clients. I really don't know much, if anything, that I can do about this. I would hope he would make the necessary corrections but I feel that he is all about the money. If I'm in the wrong let me know.
    Last edited by SheepdogTactics; 10/06/2019 12:31pm, .

This doesn't sound much like a MABS issue. Because you aren't really claiming anything. Are you saying his black belt is BS?

Otherwise, you are saying you don't want to teach classes for him for free. I have a friend who got his BJJ purple belt and was required to teach the white belt classes. He still had to pay for his classes and train with the purple and higher belts. Eventually he got tired of it and told the teacher that if he had to keep up teaching the white belt classes, he would quit. Well, he quit.

It is what it is. If you don't like teaching them, you should quit and find somewhere else to train.
    Combatives training log.

Gezere: paraphrase from Bas Rutten, Never escalate the level of violence in fight you are losing. :D

Drum thread

Pavel Tsatsouline: kettlebell workouts give you “cardio without the dishonour of aerobics”.

"Disliking someone is not evidence of wrongdoing or malfeasance or even bias." --Dung Beatles

Comment

What martial art is he teaching?

Comment

Originally posted by Diesel_tke View Post
        This doesn't sound much like a MABS issue. Because you aren't really claiming anything. Are you saying his black belt is BS?

Otherwise, you are saying you don't want to teach classes for him for free. I have a friend who got his BJJ purple belt and was required to teach the white belt classes. He still had to pay for his classes and train with the purple and higher belts. Eventually he got tired of it and told the teacher that if he had to keep up teaching the white belt classes, he would quit. Well, he quit.

It is what it is. If you don't like teaching them, you should quit and find somewhere else to train.

Comment

Originally posted by Permalost View Post
          What martial art is he teaching?
          It is a Krav Maga school.

Comment

Originally posted by SheepdogTactics View Post
            It is a Krav Maga school.
            Go start another journey in something that practices against resisting opponents. You said he pays the bjj instructors. Ever ask yourself why?
            Carter Hargrave's Jeet Can't Do

http://www.bullshido.net/forums/showthread.php?t=31636

Comment

Do you want to be a krav maga coach, or are you just being funnelled into that path by the belt progression? Do you care if you're a 2nd degree rather than a 1st degree?

Comment

Originally posted by hungryjoe View Post
                Go start another journey in something that practices against resisting opponents. You said he pays the bjj instructors. Ever ask yourself why?

Oh I am fully aware as to why. I made up my mind a long time ago about this (starting another journey) and I will be training in Mauy Thai and Judo going forward. I mainly posted this to get a better idea of what the martial arts community thought as a whole.

Comment

Do you want to be a krav maga coach, or are you just being funnelled into that path by the belt progression? Do you care if you're a 2nd degree rather than a 1st degree?
                  I have no interest in being a Krav Maga coach. My whole thing about mentioning the 2nd, 3rd, 4th...etc degree black belt is the fact that the guy running the school is only a first degree black belt. He is telling his students that he can promote them above belts that he never earned himself. Basically overtime I picked up on a lot of things that were pretty shady.

Comment

I have no interest in being a Krav Maga coach.
                    Then who's going to convince soccer moms and other disgusting fat fucks that they can fight by larping?
                    The Caucasian always has stronger strength and when comes to grappling, Caucasians mostly win easily. I do know grappling and if I used it on Asians my size, it works. - Kung Fu dude that got waxed at OneFc try out.

Comment

Oh I am fully aware as to why. I made up my mind a long time ago about this (starting another journey) and I will be training in Mauy Thai and Judo going forward. I mainly posted this to get a better idea of what the martial arts community thought as a whole.
                      I, as a whole, think it sucks. Any chance you'll name the city of place?
                      Carter Hargrave's Jeet Can't Do

http://www.bullshido.net/forums/showthread.php?t=31636

Comment

Levels of integrity vary as much as they do in any industry, but some teachers perpetuate an ethos that their training is worth much more than their students' payments, and that they should "give back" to the art once they've advanced a bit. I think a lot of teachers do this simply because thats how their teachers taught them. I was expected to teach beginners a bit in my FMA class, but it was a small garage class that charged very little and I was happy to help.

Comment

[QUOTE=Raycetpfl;3047162]Then who's going to convince soccer moms and other disgusting fat fucks that they can fight by larping?[/QUOT

Your comment is unnecessary.
                          Last edited by SheepdogTactics; 10/12/2019 12:22pm, .

Comment

Originally posted by hungryjoe View Post
                            I, as a whole, think it sucks. Any chance you'll name the city of place?

Comment

Levels of integrity vary as much as they do in any industry, but some teachers perpetuate an ethos that their training is worth much more than their students' payments, and that they should "give back" to the art once they've advanced a bit. I think a lot of teachers do this simply because thats how their teachers taught them. I was expected to teach beginners a bit in my FMA class, but it was a small garage class that charged very little and I was happy to help.
                              I have no issue with helping out occasionally. I think the students should help, especially with more inexperienced individuals.

Although, to me, there’s a fine line between helping out and being taken advantage of. He says his building has a profit of 7k a month. In my opinion, he basically wants free labor and for his students to run and promote his business for him. I guess in the end it is what it is.

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                              X