Grapplers thoughts on GLIMA

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Grapplers thoughts on GLIMA

I've stumbled across some videos online of a 'Viking style' of martial art that looks to be folk wrestling of some variety. My understanding of the rules is you pin the person and then have to get off and escape a certain distance to win a bout. Im not sure how this would stack up to other styles but I think the 'get away' they have might be the only one I have seen in grappling.

The stick work...

I don’t think that’s all accurate, unless Glima is a generic Scandy word like wrestling. I remember watching Icelandic Glima back in the day; it was just belt wrestling with a static, locked grip, done on a hard floor. Takedowns only.

Comment

Yeah, what he said.

Comment

I can qualitatively state that the stick video is hot garbage.
        Limp wristed, sloppy, open stance. Namby pamby power. Is telling them to aim with the wrong end of the stick, used some shitty hardwood that splits apart on impact and he telegraphs like an eccentric late 19th century inventor.
        Last edited by Mr. Machette; 9/29/2019 9:09am, .

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. Machette View Post
          I can qualitatively state that the stick video is hot garbage.
          Limp wristed, sloppy, open stance. Namby pamby power. Is telling them to aim with the wrong end of the stick, used some shitty hardwood that splits apart on impact and he telegraphs like an eccentric late 19th century inventor.
          Can we talk open vs closed stance for stick fighting? I got questions. Also, does all hardwood split on impact? That can't be. I know rattan for practice, but something's gotta be useful for the real hitting.

Comment

Originally posted by The Cap View Post
            Can we talk open vs closed stance for stick fighting? I got questions. Also, does all hardwood split on impact? That can't be. I know rattan for practice, but something's gotta be useful for the real hitting.
            Jawol!

So stance wise is just like boxing or kick boxing. Dukes up, elbows in tight to protect the head and torso. Opening up isn't necessarily verboten but it's for long range (largo).

Not all hardwood breaks like that. Just the shitty stuff.
            Kamagong is the choice for "not practice" in FMA but oak, hickory, blackthorn, and even composite materials all live up to the task.

Rattan is uniquely suited for practice because it's so fibrous. It frays into soft fluff instead of breaking into splinters. Hard enough to sting or even injure but light enough to play with sensitivity and finesse. Killer life span compared to pretty much everything else. When they start to die you can even tape them up tight again and keep playing.

The main issue with bringing kamagong or iron wood to class is that it wears out your friends rattan sticks much faster. Also way less forgiving against knuckles and wrists. Injuries aren't cool.

Of course the big fun is using any random object for your weapon. The real answer to "what's the best stick" is "what have you got"? Anything is a stick if you're not afraid of jail.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. Machette View Post
              Jawol!
              Brilliant, thank you!

Comment

Also, does all hardwood split on impact? That can't be. I know rattan for practice, but something's gotta be useful for the real hitting.
                No. Peltogyne (purple heart) is a good example of a super dense, battle ready hardwood. The only thing purple heart splinters is bone, lol.

Mor Sao sells very high quality staves. Sparring with them is a little dangerous without proper gear...it's like getting hit with iron. Teeth, fingers, floating ribs. Oh my.

Comment

Originally posted by W. Rabbit View Post
                  Mor Sao sells very high quality staves. Sparring with them is a little dangerous without proper gear...it's like getting hit with iron. Teeth, fingers, floating ribs. Oh my.
                  The iron hand acupuncturist? I remember him. He got a site?

Comment

https://wolfwarriorglima.com/sport-glima/

Comment

https://www.daledugas.com/
                      Consider for a moment that there is no meme about brown-haired, brown-eyed step children.

Comment

He's very active on Facebook. Funny as hell and has expanded/diversified his business by a lot..

2nd best jow maker I know, after my sifu. Both have recipes for tonics and herbal analgesics that are older than time.

Comment

No. Peltogyne (purple heart) is a good example of a super dense, battle ready hardwood. The only thing purple heart splinters is bone, lol.

What in the cinnamon toasted fuck is his 'old time' kung fu style?

Comment

Originally posted by kimjonghng View Post
                            What in the cinnamon toasted fuck is his 'old time' kung fu style?
                            Southern Praying Mantis.

Just like Toph Beifong, my favorite Avatar character.

This is why Dr. Dugas and I get along so well. Hung Ga Kuen and SPM go together like peas and carrots, or Forrest and Jenny.

Last edited by W. Rabbit; 9/30/2019 7:03pm, .

Comment

Southern Praying Mantis.

Just like Toph Beifong, my favorite Avatar character.

This is why Dr. Dugas and I get along so well. Hung Ga Kuen and SPM go together like peas and carrots, or Forrest and Jenny.

Ive met some of the SPM guys through Sifu Lomas of a different lineage. Some aspects of it feel it could cross into other southern influenced styles easily like Goju Ryu karate.

Back on topic though, what do we think of the rasslin of the GLIMA lot now we have established the stick isnt great?

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                              X