No announcement yet.

MMA has ruined book stores, forever!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hey like the Captain Haddock avatar. I am a huge Tintin fan from 40 years ago.

Comment

Originally posted by The Cap View Post
      This could be, although I remember a paperback version of that one somewhere out there too.
      It was reprinted, I believe. Don't know if they re-did the translation though. The first (original) was abysmal.

Comment

Originally posted by BKR View Post
        Oh, come one, you know you'd still be grappling if it involved naked men and olive oil...
        Olive oil is too damn expensive nowadays.

Comment

Originally posted by NittyRanks View Post
          Hey like the Captain Haddock avatar. I am a huge Tintin fan from 40 years ago.
          Ha, memories! I grew up with all the French comic culture around me, felt like a blessing. Although that wasn't quite as long as 40 years ago for me!

Comment

Being a nerd, when I started training in martial arts between the fifth and sixth grade, I read every book on the subject I could find. Curiously, instead of in bookstores, I found Nakayama's BEST KARATE series being sold in a hardware store, of all places, and from a couple of sidewalk vendors I got Bruce Tenger's JUKADO and Kawaishi's MY METHOD OF JUDO.

What I got from the Nakayama books was mainly the sense that at my karate classes one ever barely trained a fraction of everything there was to learn, because, despite the simplistic fundamentals-focused approach emphasized generally by Shotokan, in the books there were lots of techniques that were never taught/trained in class, from hooks/round punches to throws. When I got the Tegner and Kawaishi's books my outlook was even more expanded as to how limited my karate classes were, and it was a heavy load upon young me that there were no local school where such other disciplines could be learned.

I gave away most of the Nakayama books to others more narrowly focused on karate, and the Kawaishi book I gave to a friend who went to train judo at another city and would make better use of it as reference.

The Tegner one is still on my bookshelf, old and yellowed.

Comment

I had Bruce Tegner's Nerve Centers and Pressure Points. It always seemed wildly optimistic about the effectiveness of a lot of what it showed, but it was still much more reasonable than what passes for pressure point fighting these days.

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
              X