RCJ Machado in the Colony, Texas.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

RCJ Machado in the Colony, Texas.

I've trained with the instructor's teacher before, as well as other schools in this lineage. I can only say good things, and would assume this location would provide nothing but to notch instruction. Can't go wrong with any legit Machado lineage school, and this one appears to be legit. I say go for it mom.

Contracts are a bummer, but I've yet to train somewhere that doesn't have them. It's pretty standard, particularly in an art where proceeds from training are frequently the instructor's primary income. Have your boy go try a class, you should too.

Comment

Originally posted by Tramirezmma View Post
      I've trained with the instructor's teacher before, as well as other schools in this lineage. I can only say good things, and would assume this location would provide nothing but to notch instruction. Can't go wrong with any legit Machado lineage school, and this one appears to be legit. I say go for it mom.

Contracts are a bummer, but I've yet to train somewhere that doesn't have them. It's pretty standard, particularly in an art where proceeds from training are frequently the instructor's primary income. Have your boy go try a class, you should too.

Comment

Of course! It looks like your research paid off, you found a great spot mom. Don't worry about techniques or training being too dangerous, after you watch a kids class you'll see how safe it really is. You've got a lucky lad to have you looking out for his best interests.

Comment

All real bjj is good, but to find out what's good for you and your goals you should shop around and try some classes.

Gracie Barra has one of the best standard curriculums in martial arts. They revamped it to include self-defense that's standardized and they have the best grapplers in the world on their team.

The Machado's have always been a bit deficient when punches are being thrown compared to other Bjj Lineages. They seem to excel a bit more at straight grappling.

Richardo Demente Abreu is world class and has a school near there.

I would check those three out if I were moving to your town.
          The Caucasian always has stronger strength and when comes to grappling, Caucasians mostly win easily. I do know grappling and if I used it on Asians my size, it works. - Kung Fu dude that got waxed at OneFc try out.

Comment

Ok Rayce, whatever you say my dude. I haven't noticed this issue at the 3 JJM schools I've trained at, nor the 2 RCJ schools I've dropped in at.

I have, however, noticed a distinct lack evolution and an air of classism at a few Gracie schools. Especially Rickson's lineage.

Comment

On the contract, make sure you check what the provisions are if you move, or if your child gets injured. (lets say out of class) a fair contract should have provisions that will allow cancelling the obligation if you move more then X distance away, and if a doctor says your kind can no long participate. (Or they could extend the contract out a bit) Just ask yourself what happens if Johnny falls out of a tree and breaks an arm.

The other thing is has he taken an introductory class there and liked it? You have to stress to him as much as he can understand that once he commits he is in for the year, just like if you sign your kid up for little league he needs to complete the season.

Also make sure the contract doesn't automatically extend itself. We've seen that before.

Comment

Originally posted by Sam Browning View Post
                On the contract, make sure you check what the provisions are if you move, or if your child gets injured. (lets say out of class) a fair contract should have provisions that will allow cancelling the obligation if you move more then X distance away, and if a doctor says your kind can no long participate. (Or they could extend the contract out a bit) Just ask yourself what happens if Johnny falls out of a tree and breaks an arm.

The other thing is has he taken an introductory class there and liked it? You have to stress to him as much as he can understand that once he commits he is in for the year, just like if you sign your kid up for little league he needs to complete the season.

Also make sure the contract doesn't automatically extend itself. We've seen that before.
                Looking over the contract now. It’s an aftercare program that includes the BJJ classes. It only requires 4 weeks notice. No one year commitment. Maybe that is if you only do the BJJ classes. I will discuss with them and be very careful about any automatic re-enrollments. Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by Raycetpfl View Post
                  All real bjj is good, but to find out what's good for you and your goals you should shop around and try some classes.

Gracie Barra has one of the best standard curriculums in martial arts. They revamped it to include self-defense that's standardized and they have the best grapplers in the world on their team.

The Machado's have always been a bit deficient when punches are being thrown compared to other Bjj Lineages. They seem to excel a bit more at straight grappling.

Richardo Demente Abreu is world class and has a school near there.

I would check those three out if I were moving to your town.

Comment

Ok Rayce, whatever you say my dude. I haven't noticed this issue at the 3 JJM schools I've trained at, nor the 2 RCJ schools I've dropped in at.

I have, however, noticed a distinct lack evolution and an air of classism at a few Gracie schools. Especially Rickson's lineage.
                    Its just a different focus.
                    You know why the Von flu choke is called the Von flu choke?

Because Eddie Bravo black belt and Jon Jacque Machado black belt Joe Rogan doesn't know the Gracie basics Guillotine defense where you choke back so he named it after a 6th rate MMA fighter.

Now its the Von Flu choke in popular culture.

The Machado have always excelled at the sport aspect where is skilled Fighter versus skilled fighter. Only a dumbass would hold onto a dead guillotine. So they don't really go over stuff like that as much. Where you would in the Gracie basics your first sets of instructions are for dem streetz. You very likely can't get a blue belt without knowing it at a Gracie Jiu Jitsu school.

I have rolled with a lot of Machado high belts. I have also had to teach all of the self defense curriculum to some of those brown and black belts because they had never seen it. They trained with Rigan and Jean Jaque. I'm not saying this to be disparaging. I'm saying it because it's a fact.

It's also a fact that Jean Jacques Machado is a bad m!therf#!er on the mats. They dont give away ADCC medals.... you gotta earn them.
                    The Caucasian always has stronger strength and when comes to grappling, Caucasians mostly win easily. I do know grappling and if I used it on Asians my size, it works. - Kung Fu dude that got waxed at OneFc try out.

Comment

I was just being ornery Rayce. I think most BJJ practitioners of any school are deficient in self defense and real fight scenarios.

That was a mean thing to say about poor Von Flu lol.

Comment

To clarify, I mean training ONLY in BJJ is less than ideal to learn to properly fight at all ranges. That said, any BJJ school with a focus on self defense (which kids classes should all be) is miles ahead of the local McDojo.

Comment

To clarify, I mean training ONLY in BJJ is less than ideal to learn to properly fight at all ranges. That said, any BJJ school with a focus on self defense (which kids classes should all be) is miles ahead of the local McDojo.
                          I get into this discussion a lot. I actually find it to be the most suitable for the streets/club/dipshit management too. Nothing else but grappling allows me to control someone without risking their death to an unknown degree. If someone my size-ish that has some pop in their strikes uncorks their right hand on someone they may not get back up because the hit their head funny or they blow the ACL when they fold up like a cheap suit. That's a hell of a legal conundrum i try to avoid.
                          If it's somebody that doesn't really have the Dimock in their strikes it has little to no affect on the assailant and then just exasperate the situation further. Striking has to be hard.
                          With grappling i can gently hold you or kill you. It's got a hell of a potentiometer/volume switch built in.

In self-defense you don't really have to worry about all the phases of potential combat. If they're outside clinching range you can probably start to maneuver around and just leave the area,walk away. Dueling with someone is not self defense.

If the try to duel with you? Leave. If they catch you? Out grapple them.

However basic Muay Thai and/or boxing is a nice thing to have for everyone to have. I think the low round kick is extremely valuable for modern self defense as well. Its pretty easy to walk away from an aggressor if their leg is shut off for a bit.

I can do a bit of kickpunchery. Working security it was never used. I breaks teeth,bones and brains. Thats generally not needed. Sambo,Gjj, and Judo are better suited imo.

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                          X