Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

German Ju-Jutsu vs Brazilia JJ?

Hi,
    I've recently found information about the German Ju-Jutsu (a type of jiu-jitsu practised in Germany, surprise, surprise) and I was wondering how does it differ from, let's call it, more 'international' jiu-jitsu- like Gracie or (general) Brazilian JJ. Any thoughts?

Originally posted by simon_g View Post
    Hi,
    I've recently found information about the German Ju-Jutsu (a type of jiu-jitsu practised in Germany, surprise, surprise) and I was wondering how does it differ from, let's call it, more 'international' jiu-jitsu- like Gracie or (general) Brazilian JJ. Any thoughts?
    Well first it's practiced by people over the average height of a grasshopper. Also it's more efficient, but only when used to subjugate.

In seriousness it's probably just rebranded BJJ. Calling it German ju-jutsu is just marketing.

Comment

Maybe a link would help?

Comment

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xQKykW0epIA

Seems legit.

Comment

I was just in Germany last month, and there were many (Brazilian) Jiu Jitsu gyms available. I never heard of German JJ.....maybe there's a reason for that?

Comment

Originally posted by AcerTempest View Post
            That was legit funny to be honest.

Comment

German Ju-Jutsu dates back to the 1960s and was the basis for JJIF's Fighting System (Also sometimes called Sport Jujitsu) rule set which is sort of an MMA lite format. It's legit in that sense, and while JJIF is a global organization I'm doubtful that many people know the sport they're competing in is a form of German Ju-Jutsu

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/German_ju-jutsu
              http://www.jjif.info/index.php?id=34

Comment

From what I know, styles of german jj, british jj etc are mostly hybrid marttial arts combining techniques of judo, karate, kickboxing, bjj and whatever. Also it seems that 99% of their link to actual japanese jujutsu is through judo.

Comment

Originally posted by Sam Losco View Post
                  From what I know, styles of german jj, british jj etc are mostly hybrid marttial arts combining techniques of judo, karate, kickboxing, bjj and whatever. Also it seems that 99% of their link to actual japanese jujutsu is through judo.
                  This being said, these styles are often very decent IF you are looking for "all-around" style with emophasis in self defence. But as half cut mentioned the particular styles often hold competitions too which usually are something like "mma light". A finnish JJ style holds competitions which are pretty much "knockdown MMA" - that is no gloves and no punches to the head but besides that pretty much everything goes, including i.e kicks and knees to the head.

Comment

Originally posted by Sam Losco View Post
                    This being said, these styles are often very decent IF you are looking for "all-around" style with emophasis in self defence. But as half cut mentioned the particular styles often hold competitions too which usually are something like "mma light". A finnish JJ style holds competitions which are pretty much "knockdown MMA" - that is no gloves and no punches to the head but besides that pretty much everything goes, including i.e kicks and knees to the head.
                    Sounds like fun.
                    Combatives training log.

Gezere: paraphrase from Bas Rutten, Never escalate the level of violence in fight you are losing. :D

Drum thread

Pavel Tsatsouline: kettlebell workouts give you “cardio without the dishonour of aerobics”.

"Disliking someone is not evidence of wrongdoing or malfeasance or even bias." --Dung Beatles

Comment

Originally posted by Diesel_tke View Post
                      Sounds like fun.
                      They are. We competed in a comp last month in WV that was Sambo and Sport Jujitsu. It's a fun ruleset, but it's got some weird scoring if you go to overtime

Comment

Originally posted by Diesel_tke View Post
                        Sounds like fun.
                        At the lower levels JJIF sport jujitsu looks like tappy tappy karate with throws and submissions tossed in. I'll check to see if I still have video of it floating around. I wasn't personally a fan of the point fighting aspect of it.
                        Don't rely on theory if your life is at stake.

"But now that you've anointed him as truthsayer, you'll be complicit with what happens when the next Jew comes here and is lambasted by an ultrasecular Rabbi" -W.Rabbit/Pship/Emily Dickinson/Earth Dragon/Self Proclaimed Editor Extraordinaire

Comment

The sport Karate style scoring was only annoying when you get into an overtime situation where it's basically sudden death. The first person to land a clean strike or a takedown wins in that situation. It happened a lot

Comment

Originally posted by Michael Tzadok View Post
                            At the lower levels JJIF sport jujitsu looks like tappy tappy karate with throws and submissions tossed in. I'll check to see if I still have video of it floating around. I wasn't personally a fan of the point fighting aspect of it.

Comment

It's like continuous point fighting. They don't have that reset after a scoring strike, but the level of contact is about on par with point fighting. It kind of reminds me of the level intensity you would see sparring at the gym with your team mates.

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                              X