Coach worship - kids edition

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Coach worship - kids edition

Your kid likes their training and probably thinks the coach as a father figure. Kids do the same with school teachers they grow fond of or older people in general, family or friends or family of friends. If the coach is a good role model then its better your child sees him as a hero vs someone on tv/youtube.

Comment

Parents can't be great at everything. Coaching/ teaching kids at various stages of development is a specialty.

Kids need to develop healthy relationships outside family. Your job is to guide and monitor, and do what you do best.

Comment

As long as your coach is acting like a responsible adult, this is probably a good thing.

Your son is creating a scaffolding out of observed behavior to model correct behavior in his mind and is learning how to be a man through observing men that are in leadership positions. It's very common for young kids to do this.

It doesn't mean you're doing anything wrong, it's just how kids learn.

Comment

My kids have played sports their whole lives. Everything from wrestling, soccer, gymnastics, and Lacrosse. Sometimes it happens and sometimes it doesn't. But it's a good thing. You've heard that it takes a village to raise a child? Well, this is part of it, in my opinion. Use it to your advantage. Just consider the coach as another person helping to raise up your kid. As he gets older, this is probably going to wear off a little and he won't idolize the coach quite as much. And that's ok too. When he is a teenager, it's a good thing. While your kid is rebelling against your authority, you can use the coach to keep him moving in the right direction.

TL:DR: you aren't doing anything wrong.

Comment

*shrug.

The parent here use me as the boogey man. "Do this or we'll tell Sifu/Coach". Some weird approval thing.

Of course that's why so many people in power often abuse it.

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
            X