Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

For y'all Bruce Lee nuthuggers

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    For y'all Bruce Lee nuthuggers

    Including yours truly...

    https://www.amazon.com/Bruce-Lee-Lif.../dp/1501187627

    I will start reading it this weekend.

    Polly was the author of AMERICAN SHAOLIN and TAPPED OUT. I really enjoyed the former and he is an entertaining writer. TAPPED OUT was about his foray in MMA but it was less interesting because his personal involvement was not as in-depth.

    #2
    I'm interested.

    Comment


      #3
      Bruce was either an absolute freak or a fraud. The reason i say this is because his martial arts history (time spent in individual arts) is small. He’s known for starting in wing chun but didnt actually do it for long.

      Comment


        #4
        Bruce Lee was a well known fanatical cross trainer with every serious martial artist with whom he came into contact, all of his short adult life.
        He was a small guy, but by all accounts, he was fanatical about fitness, and martial arts training, and cross training.

        Comment


          #5
          Originally posted by Dr. Gonzo View Post
          Bruce Lee was a well known fanatical cross trainer with every serious martial artist with whom he came into contact, all of his short adult life.
          He was a small guy, but by all accounts, he was fanatical about fitness, and martial arts training, and cross training.

          + could dance.

          No reports that I've seen give him good or bad marks on driving abilities. Probably sucked. Cause Asian that moved to California.

          Hung out with Chuck. Chuck doesn't hang with losers.
          Carter Hargrave's Jeet Can't Do

          http://www.bullshido.net/forums/showthread.php?t=31636

          Comment


            #6
            Striking arts are more attribute-based. There are plenty of world-class boxers and kick boxers that turned Pro after a very short time of training.

            Mark Hunt,Bernard Hopkins,Deontay Wilder and a slew of others. Being faster and stronger than the average bear goes a long way.
            Power mainly comes from bone size and where your tendons connect according to a few guys. Training can't make you hit hard. It can only make you hit harder.

            Its completely plausible he had natural power. He would have been strangled in no time flat by a submission fighter.

            Comment


              #7
              Originally posted by Raycetpfl View Post
              Striking arts are more attribute-based. There are plenty of world-class boxers and kick boxers that turned Pro after a very short time of training.

              Mark Hunt,Bernard Hopkins,Deontay Wilder and a slew of others. Being faster and stronger than the average bear goes a long way.
              Power mainly comes from bone size and where your tendons connect according to a few guys. Training can't make you hit hard. It can only make you hit harder.

              Its completely plausible he had natural power. He would have been strangled in no time flat by a submission fighter.
              According to Gene LeBell, Bruce Lee was well trained in grappling, including, trained by Gene LeBell in grappling, throws, and submissions.

              Comment


                #8
                Originally posted by Raycetpfl View Post
                Striking arts are more attribute-based. There are plenty of world-class boxers and kick boxers that turned Pro after a very short time of training.

                Mark Hunt,Bernard Hopkins,Deontay Wilder and a slew of others. Being faster and stronger than the average bear goes a long way.
                Power mainly comes from bone size and where your tendons connect according to a few guys. Training can't make you hit hard. It can only make you hit harder.

                Its completely plausible he had natural power. He would have been strangled in no time flat by a submission fighter.
                Bruce dropped the WC method of punching early on. He kept some shit no doubt but look at his punch progression compared to WC. His punches started at the feet, where true power starts. Despite the posturing for the camera, he was loose until time of impact. Man had some true power given his small size.

                Grappling? Gene Lebell.

                Okay. No fair. God would fare no better.

                Nut hugger? No. He was though a serious martial artist, extremely fast and one of the early advents for cross training.

                edit

                Gonzo in before me. Again.
                Carter Hargrave's Jeet Can't Do

                http://www.bullshido.net/forums/showthread.php?t=31636

                Comment


                  #9
                  I don't know how he'd stack up against a modern MMA champ but I certainly wouldn't want to have engaged him in fisticuffs.
                  Dude had amazing conditioning, was quick, nimble as a cat and nasty accurate. A nightmare to the untrained or slovenly.
                  I have a feeling the stories of him mopping up local street tuffs in his youth might have a small ring of truth to them.

                  Comment


                    #10
                    Originally posted by hungryjoe View Post
                    Bruce dropped the WC method of punching early on. He kept some shit no doubt but look at his punch progression compared to WC. His punches started at the feet, where true power starts. Despite the posturing for the camera, he was loose until time of impact. Man had some true power given his small size.

                    Grappling? Gene Lebell.

                    Okay. No fair. God would fare no better.

                    Nut hugger? No. He was though a serious martial artist, extremely fast and one of the early advents for cross training.

                    edit

                    Gonzo in before me. Again.
                    To your point, Bruce Lee was well known and well regarded as a kicker.

                    Which if we considered Bruce Lee a "wing chun" man, would be extremely odd.

                    He learned all of his kicking cross training with every good kicker he could find.

                    His cross training in grappling probably followed a similar path, with Gene LeBell and others.

                    Bruce Lee was not only one of the original "mixed martial artists" before the term was really a thing, he helped pave the way for the mixed martial arts philosophy,

                    and he was well known for fanatically training any useful martial arts technique, approach, or system that he came across, especially if it challenged his current abilities and repertoire.

                    He died young, and he lived before the UFC.
                    Last edited by Dr. Gonzo; 5/27/2019 6:30pm, .

                    Comment


                      #11
                      Carter Hargrave's Jeet Can't Do

                      http://www.bullshido.net/forums/showthread.php?t=31636

                      Comment


                        #12
                        Originally posted by Dr. Gonzo View Post
                        According to Gene LeBell, Bruce Lee was well trained in grappling, including, trained by Gene LeBell in grappling, throws, and submissions.
                        Well you don't insult the man that does the hiring and firing of stuntmen when you are a professional stuntman. So there is that. After his death there's no point in not speaking highly of him.
                        Not enough mat time to be truly good I would bet dollars to pesos ,but I have seen pictures of him in a Judo dark belt (it was a a black and white picture so I don't know the color really) at his college judo club.

                        A Relson , Lebell or Rolls type of guy would have likely made short work of him is my claim. That's not really a derogatory statement.

                        My dad could kick box a bit. Semmy Schilt would have separated him from his senses in 30 seconds or so. It doesn't mean my dad couldn't kick box a bit.

                        Comment


                          #13
                          Originally posted by Raycetpfl View Post
                          Well you don't insult the man that does the hiring and firing of stuntmen when you are a professional stuntman. So there is that. After his death there's no point in not speaking highly of him.
                          Not enough mat time to be truly good I would bet dollars to pesos ,but I have seen pictures of him in a Judo dark belt (it was a a black and white picture so I don't know the color really) at his college judo club.

                          A Relson , Lebell or Rolls type of guy would have likely made short work of him is my claim. That's not really a derogatory statement.

                          My dad could kick box a bit. Semmy Schilt would have separated him from his senses in 30 seconds or so. It doesn't mean my dad couldn't kick box a bit.
                          Truque Gracie trained and grappled with Bruce Lee while they were filming the Rio De Janeiro scenes,

                          and said he thought Bruce Lee would have done well competing in a Gracie Jiu-Jitsu tournament as a black belt.

                          See the article in Embuste, 1970.
                          Last edited by Dr. Gonzo; 5/27/2019 7:06pm, .

                          Comment


                            #14
                            If you don't watch from the beginning, go to around 10.40 where Joe talks about point fighting vs not.

                            Carter Hargrave's Jeet Can't Do

                            http://www.bullshido.net/forums/showthread.php?t=31636

                            Comment


                              #15
                              Originally posted by hungryjoe View Post
                              If you don't watch from the beginning, go to around 10.40 where Joe talks about point fighting vs not.

                              Two of my students are Joe Lewis black black belts. 1 of them was a pro kick boxer and Muay Thai boxer.

                              Comment

                              Collapse

                              Edit this module to specify a template to display.

                              Working...
                              X