Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Students are just the worst. Coaches and instructors what are your pet peeves!?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Students, coaches, or fighters that crave complements or that allow themselves to be mentally affected by words, whether sweet or harsh.

Comment

What I hated about the last MMA place where I trained regularly was the bunch of young dudes sitting on the sides with their phones before the class would start, not warming up or doing anything related to the training. Then the class was over and while a couple of us older dudes would go on again over the stuff convered, the kids would go back to their phones.

Comment

Originally posted by BKR View Post
        I am working on breaking my kids of that habit in life and general.

"I know, Dad !"

Well, why are you doing it then ?

Of course, I've had the same thing happen teaching Judo.

Same with the "it doesn't work" thing in Judo.

Yeah, it does work, dumbass, you have to drill it though and grow a pair of gonads and do work on it in randori as well...

Eventually, they will go to a shiai and do it, and it works.

My favorite though was to go to a training camp with them, and have some high-level coach teaching the exact thing I was teaching them in our tiny dojo. Suddenly, my coaching was legit !

Then, when everybody was doing randori, I (this was a while ago, LOL) would be out their on the mat doing exactly what the coach had been showing, and making it work. Over and over and over again...
        I will say, though, that I have had students who were the opposite. They would do what I instructed (sometimes it took a while, lol), and drill the hell out of it (especially when I could still take the falls), go to training camps, try, fail, and keep trying, until they could make stuff work. Go to shiai, follow my coaching, and give me decent feedback on what they thought about it. Because I always asked THEM what they thought, how stuff felt, if maybe I was wrong, or we needed to head in another direction, modify, etc.

Two of those are now competing internationally, and doing pretty well. Two others are developing into very good coaches, and had successful competition careers. One is still competing and doing OK in national level events in Canada.

The point isn't to develop robots, or produce widgets, after all.

Comment

The point isn't to develop robots
          The robots are coming.

Comment

Originally posted by Dr. Gonzo View Post
            The robots are coming.
            I thought the robots were supposed to make us come ?

Comment

Originally posted by Dr. Gonzo View Post
              The robots are coming.
              A functional training robot would be great.

Comment

A functional training robot would be great.
                It would be so nice to be able to just snap bones in training.

Comment

Originally posted by Raycetpfl View Post
                  Yeah, and the ground n pound, imagine...

The ability to throw a MF over and over and over again would be nice, too.

Different body weight, proportions.

I mean, you could even eventually make duplicates of your toughest opponents, and probably even eventually program it to imitate them. Talk about contest prep, LOL!

Wanna train with Helio or Rickson or Roger or whomever ? Just rent/least the robot and programming...

I am starting to see why Bill is so enamored of the whole sex robot thing. Wanna get it on with a famous person ? Just rent/lease/buy the appropriate sex robot and code.

Bill, please PM me a list of the companies you are investing in, ASAP !

Comment

I thought the robots were supposed to make us come ?
                    Do ut des.

Comment

I am starting to see why Bill is so enamored of the whole sex robot thing. Wanna get it on with a famous person ? Just rent/lease/buy the appropriate sex robot and code.
                      Clearly I have missed on some vital threads.

Comment

That was what the Harkonnen could do with replaceable slave sparring partners.

Comment

Originally posted by ksennin View Post
                          Yes, the Mountain does that in GOT as well.

Comment

Originally posted by ksennin View Post
                            Also, I am sure that Rayce would love that kind of thing, but they would have to all be Brazilians...

Comment

You just need to find the right neighborhood so you have random mentally handicapped homeless people with no families who wander in looking to spar. Bobby Joe Blythe style.

Comment

Yeah, and the ground n pound, imagine...

The ability to throw a MF over and over and over again would be nice, too.

Different body weight, proportions.

I mean, you could even eventually make duplicates of your toughest opponents, and probably even eventually program it to imitate them. Talk about contest prep, LOL!

Wanna train with Helio or Rickson or Roger or whomever ? Just rent/least the robot and programming...

Seriously.

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                                X