Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Students are just the worst. Coaches and instructors what are your pet peeves!?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Students are just the worst. Coaches and instructors what are your pet peeves!?

I've been teaching martial arts for 30 years now and I've noticed that some of my adult students have some of the worst behaviors; I thought I would vent on one of them.

I absolutely hate it when I'm looking at a student and after correcting them a few times they stop and look at you to ask "Did I do that correct?"

My reaction "No, I've been standing here the laughing at you the entire time because I don't like to do my job like correct your mistakes....."

Step forward with your left foot.... No YOUR OTHER LEFT. How did you drive to the dojo today without crashing?

Student: Swings a sword vaguely in my direction
    Me: Standing still. Does nothing and tells the student to hit me. It's ok. We are wearing protective gear.
    Student: Still swings a sword vaguely in my direction
    Me: You didn't play pinata much as a kid did you?

Comment

Originally posted by AcerTempest View Post
      Step forward with your left foot.... No YOUR OTHER LEFT. How did you drive to the dojo today without crashing?

Me: Standing still. Does nothing and tells the student to hit me. It's ok. We are wearing protective gear.
      LOL...yes!!!!

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by AcerTempest View Post
          I often have to struggle to get students to punch me with anything approaching full power to the midsection. They just cannot bring themselves to do it. I have older students kick me to show I can take much worse, but they still cannot do a measly straight punch.
          Of course, I then had complains from parents that the students hurt their feet kicking me.

Comment

My pet peeve are beginners who show up only every so often and fall so far behind they may as well be newbies each class. We intake beginners only twice a year, in September and January. We don't have the teaching resources to be handling multiple levels of beginners: I just need to get them through the 3-6 months of training it will take to get them in armour and then they can join the general class.

For the first time last year I kicked out several students who were showing up once a month or less. I told them if they were serious to come back next beginner intake and start over. I thought I'd get some blowback from the Y as it's their program and I'm just a volunteer but nothing.

Comment

A guy I know had this many years ago when he was starting out. I got him into a neck crank and he would not tap. After a bit I saw he was in obvious distress and let him go. Years later, after he had become a much superior grappler than I ever was, he confessed he actually got a cracked vertebra out of that and it hounded him all the time. I wonder how much better he could have become.
              I think there was an old "the Gracies will not tap" thing going on about that time and it was some kind of hero worship.

Comment

I despise two phrases like no other things on the planet.

"I know." And "It's not working."

Me: You need to have your right hand here and your left here.

Dumbass: I know.

Me: Cool..... so you don't know how hands work yet or you enjoy sucking at everything. Good to know.

I teach a back take I learned from Rickson.

Dumbass: It doesn't work.

Me: "It" works well... ....you simple bitch..... you do not work so well.

Comment

Originally posted by Raycetpfl View Post

Me: Cool..... so you don't know how hands work yet or you enjoy sucking at everything. Good to know.

Everytime someone says "I know" my response is "If you knew it you'd be doing it".

Comment

Originally posted by Raycetpfl View Post

I am working on breaking my kids of that habit in life and general.

"I know, Dad !"

Well, why are you doing it then ?

Of course, I've had the same thing happen teaching Judo.

Same with the "it doesn't work" thing in Judo.

Yeah, it does work, dumbass, you have to drill it though and grow a pair of gonads and do work on it in randori as well...

Eventually, they will go to a shiai and do it, and it works.

My favorite though was to go to a training camp with them, and have some high-level coach teaching the exact thing I was teaching them in our tiny dojo. Suddenly, my coaching was legit !

Then, when everybody was doing randori, I (this was a while ago, LOL) would be out their on the mat doing exactly what the coach had been showing, and making it work. Over and over and over again...

Comment

"I know" is that knee-jerk reflex people have because they hate being wrong and corrected. Which is retarded cause you are there to learn, paid the instructor and showed up.
                      Chill peoples... learn to enjoy being corrected, despite it being maddening when you just can't seem to get it to work. It takes time and correction and repetition.

Comment

Originally posted by Omega Supreme View Post
                        Everytime someone says "I know" my response is "If you knew it you'd be doing it".
                        Exactly...

Comment

Originally posted by BackFistMonkey View Post
                          "I know" is that knee-jerk reflex people have because they hate being wrong and corrected. Which is retarded cause you are there to learn, paid the instructor and showed up.
                          Chill peoples... learn to enjoy being corrected, despite it being maddening when you just can't seem to get it to work. It takes time and correction and repetition.
                          I know !

Comment

I don't teach regularly and it's been quite a while, but for me it's the groups that talk more than they practice the move. I don't expect dead silence and it's nice for everyone to be friendly with each other, but you're there to train, so fucking train.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by BackFistMonkey View Post
                              learn to enjoy being corrected
                              Now you sound like my wife.

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                              X