Interesting Karate School in Scotland

Just posting this here, see what you guys make of it:

Tora Black Belt Academy in Glasgow, Scotland:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DFaaEQ1n-mI

https://www.facebook.com/torablackbeltacademy

Best karate I've ever seen. Bar none.

Should dominate the next Olympics.

Comment

I don't care how shit they are at karate, I'm not fucking with anyone that lives in Glasgow

Comment

What looks interesting about it?

Comment

A Glasgow kiss can penetrate any rising block!

One of my co-workers is from there, and she's the only barmaid allowed to close on her own without another male member of staff present!

Comment

Karate with an accent!
            Well they look happy enough, so good for them.

Comment

They do advertise as "Non-Contact Martial Arts". So they are honest at least. Somewhat.

Non-contact martial arts.

That sounds kinda like non-grease mechanics or non-blood butcher or sumthin'.

Comment

Originally posted by ksennin View Post
                They do advertise as "Non-Contact Martial Arts". So they are honest at least. Somewhat.

Non-contact martial arts.

That sounds kinda like non-grease mechanics or non-blood butcher or sumthin'.
                I dont see a problem as long as someone is honest with himself. Is like if I set up a gym with olympic gymnastics and I advertice it as WE DO NOT COMPETE, just train. Many people, elder age or whatever are interested in doing gymnastics but they dont because 90 percent of the gyms will force you to compete.

Some people just want to be fit, gymnastics are fucking great for that. I dont understand why do we have aproblem if someone does martial arts and doesnt want to spar or whatever, as long as he is being honest with himself. There are millions of people playing guitar and playing famous songs exactly as the originasl just for fun or practice, we are not gonna tell them to go play gigs and make money or stop...come on...

Comment

Originally posted by ccamara View Post
                  I dont see a problem as long as someone is honest with himself. Is like if I set up a gym with olympic gymnastics and I advertice it as WE DO NOT COMPETE, just train. Many people, elder age or whatever are interested in doing gymnastics but they dont because 90 percent of the gyms will force you to compete.

Some people just want to be fit, gymnastics are fucking great for that. I dont understand why do we have aproblem if someone does martial arts and doesnt want to spar or whatever, as long as he is being honest with himself. There are millions of people playing guitar and playing famous songs exactly as the originasl just for fun or practice, we are not gonna tell them to go play gigs and make money or stop...come on...
                  Sure. I have no problem with martial arts used as a method of personal growth, exercise, moving meditation, etc. Not everyone wants to fight. Some merely want to work out inside a system with an interesting conceptual context. Some like the aesthetics. Everyone gets something different out of it and that is alright.

But jeez, man, even the tying of the belt nearly under the armpits was painful to watch in that video. And in your music analogy, it almost feels more like people carrying the guitar about and doing endless chord practice and never playing any song ever. And playing a song is what is what supposed to be about, right? It is the original intent. And the further we get away from that, from the original core of the systems the more it all gets distorted and then I wonder if it is really karate anymore. Maybe we should just come up with a different name by now, like the tae bo people did. Some people may say that most gendai budo is already that.
                  You know, perhaps you are right and I am just being pedantic, or narrow minded or whatever. I come from a very old tradition of karate for fighting and I may be just be an old fogey complaining about the new kids.
                  I argue a lot of the time with a local friend who runs a school where most of his students can honestly not do any serious fighting at all. Because the idea of someone training karate and not being able to do at least a modicum of self-defense is rather worrisome to me. He only trains with kata now, personally, but you see him train his kata and you see power and proper form. You see the foundation. I do not see that in the video in this thread.
                  I get irked at how karate is becoming a kind of day-care business and little else. This is why in the TV show Archer they called karate "The Dane Cook of martial arts" and that hurts. I think we should be a bit more demanding regarding the standards of our art.

Comment

+1

Apart from the rampant nutriding of Glaswegians: that school is Shotokan. If they don’t spar: avoid like the plague. If they do spar, it’s still lame. Do kyokushin instead.

Kyokushin has good sparring, and the exact same crap kata, including the lame retarded deed stances and kiba dachi

WIN!

srsly, I’m going to cancel my kyokushin membership and start boxing or kickboxing or grappling

Comment

Originally posted by ksennin View Post
                      Sure. I have no problem with martial arts used as a method of personal growth, exercise, moving meditation, etc. Not everyone wants to fight. Some merely want to work out inside a system with an interesting conceptual context. Some like the aesthetics. Everyone gets something different out of it and that is alright.

But jeez, man, even the tying of the belt nearly under the armpits was painful to watch in that video. And in your music analogy, it almost feels more like people carrying the guitar about and doing endless chord practice and never playing any song ever. And playing a song is what is what supposed to be about, right? It is the original intent. And the further we get away from that, from the original core of the systems the more it all gets distorted and then I wonder if it is really karate anymore. Maybe we should just come up with a different name by now, like the tae bo people did. Some people may say that most gendai budo is already that.
                      You know, perhaps you are right and I am just being pedantic, or narrow minded or whatever. I come from a very old tradition of karate for fighting and I may be just be an old fogey complaining about the new kids.
                      I argue a lot of the time with a local friend who runs a school where most of his students can honestly not do any serious fighting at all. Because the idea of someone training karate and not being able to do at least a modicum of self-defense is rather worrisome to me. He only trains with kata now, personally, but you see him train his kata and you see power and proper form. You see the foundation. I do not see that in the video in this thread.
                      I get irked at how karate is becoming a kind of day-care business and little else. This is why in the TV show Archer they called karate "The Dane Cook of martial arts" and that hurts. I think we should be a bit more demanding regarding the standards of our art.
                      Not being pedantic at all..you are being RIGHT!!! change the fucking name and everyone just would shut it up....I completely agree...you see, JUDO is not called JIU JITSU...someone very intellingent, you know who, decided to make a Jiu jitsu version taking out dangerous stuff so they could COMPETE in a sport going full strengh...and very intelligently thought, it is not the same, so I can not call it the same, maybe just something related that evoques the art where it comes from...and voila...JU DO...

I just dont get why that crap they do in competition is still called Karate...but what do I know about business...I completely agree with you on this one my friend

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                      X