Something Unexpected About Yourself...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Something Unexpected About Yourself...

Our online persona can only communicate so much of our individual subjective experience. The anonymity of the net allows us to explore and express our ID freely. Vicariously even. But what we share is filtered. Personally curated expressions of individual thought that are only a snapshot of a person.
    We all have richly complex lives in meat space. Associations, families, routines, hobbies, obligations, habits, charities and inequities. Fascinating textures and experiences not even hinted at by the projection of super ego via text. Something no one on Bullshido would ever guess.

I'll start:

Every shift at my day job I patiently render down at least 12lbs of bacon into a sort of smoked pork belly confit.
    When it's​ done the leftover juices cool into a supple oil even finer than Vaseline.
    If you rub it into your skin you become St. Francis of Assisi.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	patronst_environment.jpg
Size:	25.1 KB
ID:	4336591

I’ve got a US Army achievement medal that was awarded for my conduct in a live fire exercise.

I had no idea that they gave our medals for exercises and wasn’t prepared. I looked like shit in uniorned, post ex kit and was extremely hung over when I received it from a 2 star general. He clocked straight away that I was hanging out my arse and thought it was hilarious.
    Ne Obliviscaris

Comment

See, this is the kind of buddy comedy action movie shit that I always hoped went on in the armed services.
      "Pave the way for the little guy, Caligula!" Harry Solomon, September 28, 1999

Comment

My business requires that I give marijuana samples to employees or myself for quality assurance.

There's a job perk you don't find every day.
        "Pave the way for the little guy, Caligula!" Harry Solomon, September 28, 1999

Comment

I can be very cold to people I’m not close to (this probably isn’t the part you will find surprising). But I’m a ride or die motherfucker for my people. I enjoy watching Muslims get vaporized by Cobra helicopters but I’d rather put my phone away and sit and chat with my daughter about her day or laugh at my son’s stupid jokes.

Also, although I have pretty much no filter online, I’m a Southerner and I greatly value politeness. I don’t give anyone any shit and I expect no shit in return.

Comment

I, too, am a non-conformist...
            Falling for Judo since 1980

"You are wrong. Why? Because you move like a pregnant yak and talk like a spazzing 'I train UFC' noob." -DCS

"The best part of getting you worked up is your backpack full of irony and lies." -It Is Fake

"Banning BKR is like kicking a Quokka. It's foolishness of the first order." - Raycetpfl

Comment

I sometimes cry at movies. No sobbing, God forbid. Just a gentle tear running down the cheek that I wipe when nobody is looking.
              Carter Hargrave's Jeet Can't Do

http://www.bullshido.net/forums/showthread.php?t=31636

Comment

The street paddleboarding in my style field isn't a joke- I actually crafted a wooden 7 foot long land paddle that I use to push myself on a skateboard. My normal route is like 4 miles, but sometimes I go to different ones. Its a good workout and people are always smiling when I cruise by. I'm trying to assemble a Warriors style gang to join me, but so far I only have 2 other dudes onboard.

Comment

I have 12 years of classical violin training. I miss the violin, but my parents have been refusing to let me take it with me for years now.

Comment

Originally posted by ghost55 View Post
                    I have 12 years of classical violin training. I miss the violin, but my parents have been refusing to let me take it with me for years now.
                    How much would a decent violin for your use cost?

For example, is there a link you could provide to a violin that would be good enough for you to play on?

I have an adult nephew in a similar situation, so I am curious.

Comment

Originally posted by Dr. Gonzo View Post
                      How much would a decent violin for your use cost?

For example, is there a link you could provide to a violin that would be good enough for you to play on?

I have an adult nephew in a similar situation, so I am curious.
                      I haven't looked into in. My violin from my advanced youth orchestra days is probably worth around $8k.

Comment

I haven't looked into in. My violin from my advanced youth orchestra days is probably worth around $8k.
                        Goddamn! But does it really matter that much? That’s an honest question. I don’t know violins but I know guitars. With guitars, you definitely get what you pay for up to a certain point. A couple grand or whatever. But after that, you’re mostly paying for aesthetics and reproductions of popular models and signature models and shit like that.

Is it like that? The $8K one is painted with the blood of a virgin or something but doesn’t sound any better than the $1,500 one?

Also, do your parents play violin? If not, I’m going to say they’re cunts for not letting you take the violin.

Comment

It makes a huge difference. Mine was middle of the road by the standards of the orchestra I was in. Professional tier violins easily hit $40k+. They don't play, but they claim they don't want it to get damaged because the insurance lapsed.

Comment

It makes a huge difference. Mine was middle of the road by the standards of the orchestra I was in. Professional tier violins easily hit $40k+. They don't play, but they claim they don't want it to get damaged because the insurance lapsed.
                            Man.....I don’t understand. I have a hard time understanding how, with modern technology we can’t build a fucking dinky little violin that doesn’t sound or play like ass. Are you sure you’re not just snobby as fuck about violins?

Why don’t you offer to pay the insurance premiums for them?

Comment

Violins made out of graphite are fucking awesome, but still cost a lot. Good violins made from wood are still an item that requires a dedicated master craftsman. And insurance isn't the real reason. The real reason is they think I might sell it since it's worth 4-5x the value of my car. Which is stupid because getting market value for a violin is pretty much goddamn impossible. Too specialized.

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                              X