Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

When was the last time you used MA in a non-training situation?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

When was the last time you used MA in a non-training situation?

Disclaimer: I’m an unapologetic TMA enthusiast so some part of me wants to say ‘ha ha so there, you’re wasting your time and money training BJJ/MMA ‘ but another side genuinely wants to know WHEN was the last time you used it in a non-training situation. Mainly self defense situations I guess. However you can include competitions with monetary prizes but exclude what you do in your private time (ie one inch punch).
    "I'm reluctant to sound like a total fa66ot as well, but my background in sculpture gave me an edge in understanding how we're expected to move thru space." - The Other Other Serge

I fell down a flight of hardwood steps (wool socks) drunk as shit the other day and didn't get hurt...

Hapkido ftw?

Comment

I'm going to need to refer you to my use of force reports.
      Combatives training log.

Gezere: paraphrase from Bas Rutten, Never escalate the level of violence in fight you are losing. :D

Drum thread

Pavel Tsatsouline: kettlebell workouts give you “cardio without the dishonour of aerobics”.

"Disliking someone is not evidence of wrongdoing or malfeasance or even bias." --Dung Beatles

Comment

I once used triangle from guard as foreplay.
        Consider for a moment that there is no meme about brown-haired, brown-eyed step children.

Comment

Originally posted by BackFistMonkey View Post
          I fell down a flight of hardwood steps (wool socks) drunk as shit the other day and didn't get hurt...

Hapkido ftw?
          I see TMA peeps praising Taijitsu, nimpo, Black Panther Purple Kempo, Creole Swamp Judo, Chinese Line Dancing... I mean you name it, and I bet someone here has claimed it for saving their life on ice, steps, wet grass, bike crashes... and I can kinda see it for sure.

A little good ukemi goes a long way to take away the panic in the air. I honestly couldn't tell you if it was the Gymnastics, Hapkido, or Judo that specifically saved me the other day.

Comment

I foot sweep waitress when they are carrying large trays near me when I'm out. I hit him so clean nobody even knows.

Comment

Gardeners were chopping down trees in the patio when a big branch came through the window.

Immediate and perfect double cover saved my face from glass fragments.

Comment

Originally posted by Lily View Post
                Disclaimer: I’m an unapologetic TMA enthusiast so some part of me wants to say ‘ha ha so there, you’re wasting your time and money training BJJ/MMA ‘ but another side genuinely wants to know WHEN was the last time you used it in a non-training situation. Mainly self defense situations I guess. However you can include competitions with monetary prizes but exclude what you do in your private time (ie one inch punch).
                At work, that's all I'm going to say, a few weeks ago.

Verbal Judo all the time, like, yesterday afternoon. Beats going hands-on, for sure.
                Falling for Judo since 1980

"You are wrong. Why? Because you move like a pregnant yak and talk like a spazzing 'I train UFC' noob." -DCS

"The best part of getting you worked up is your backpack full of irony and lies." -It Is Fake

"Banning BKR is like kicking a Quokka. It's foolishness of the first order." - Raycetpfl

Comment

Originally posted by submessenger View Post
                  Giving or receiving ?

And yeah, see what you did there.

"You are wrong. Why? Because you move like a pregnant yak and talk like a spazzing 'I train UFC' noob." -DCS

"The best part of getting you worked up is your backpack full of irony and lies." -It Is Fake

"Banning BKR is like kicking a Quokka. It's foolishness of the first order." - Raycetpfl

Comment

Originally posted by BKR View Post
                    At work, that's all I'm going to say, a few weeks ago.

Verbal Judo all the time, like, yesterday afternoon. Beats going hands-on, for sure.
                    At work Sunday January 20, 2019 4:14 pm. Domestic call with (highly) intoxicated male (5'-11 235#) charges me as soon as I get out of the truck (no time for Gerbil Voodoo). Taser deployed to no avail (6" probe spread & his drunken state), I ditch the Taser, revert to double-leg, gained side control to Americana and got the left handcuff on, I transition to turtle top attempt & fail RNC, (grind his face into the gravel) in back mount--so I maintain this for 7 minutes until backup arrives. Despite this asshats demands that I kill him, he went to jail in one piece, this was in an ice-covered gravel driveway and I shredded a brand new pair of Rocky boots, ended up sore as hell for three days, but no injuries.

http://www.judici.com/courts/cases/c...15JL2019CF42D1
                    I thought I spelled it wrong, but as I said I'm a mechanic not an English professor.

Comment

Originally posted by slamdunc View Post
                      At work Sunday January 20, 2019 4:14 pm. Domestic call with (highly) intoxicated male (5'-11 235#) charges me as soon as I get out of the truck (no time for Gerbil Voodoo). Taser deployed to no avail (6" probe spread & his drunken state), I ditch the Taser, revert to double-leg, gained side control to Americana and got the left handcuff on, I transition to turtle top attempt & fail RNC, (grind his face into the gravel) in back mount--so I maintain this for 7 minutes until backup arrives. Despite this asshat's demands that I kill him, he went to jail in one piece, this was in an ice-covered gravel driveway and I shredded a brand new pair of Rocky boots, ended up sore as hell for three days, but no injuries.

Lovely, yet another reason I am glad I am not a road deputy/officer...glad you were not injured.

Comment

Originally posted by BKR View Post
                        Giving or receiving ?

And yeah, see what you did there.

I see what YOU did there. I'm a giver, wife wanted to know what BJJ was like, so I choked her. No David Carradine jokes, please.

On the serious side, ukemi is always a win. Slip on ice, breakfall. Fall off a ladder, breakfall.

I had one employee-to-employee fist fight where I restrained the aggressor with a back arm lock and half nelson.
                        Consider for a moment that there is no meme about brown-haired, brown-eyed step children.

Comment

Originally posted by slamdunc View Post
                          At work Sunday January 20, 2019 4:14 pm. Domestic call with (highly) intoxicated male (5'-11 235#) charges me as soon as I get out of the truck (no time for Gerbil Voodoo). Taser deployed to no avail (6" probe spread & his drunken state), I ditch the Taser, revert to double-leg, gained side control to Americana and got the left handcuff on, I transition to turtle top attempt & fail RNC, (grind his face into the gravel) in back mount--so I maintain this for 7 minutes until backup arrives. Despite this asshats demands that I kill him, he went to jail in one piece, this was in an ice-covered gravel driveway and I shredded a brand new pair of Rocky boots, ended up sore as hell for three days, but no injuries.

Dude..... do you train bjj?

Comment

Originally posted by submessenger View Post
                            Was this with the 17 year old uke ?
                            "I'm reluctant to sound like a total fa66ot as well, but my background in sculpture gave me an edge in understanding how we're expected to move thru space." - The Other Other Serge

Comment

Originally posted by Lily View Post
                              Was this with the 17 year old uke ?
                              Yeah, but she was I think 30 or so at the time.

(edit: in b4 I beat my wife)

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                              X