X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by hungryjoe View Post
    This thread made me think of

Where the fuck is my eye soap?
    Consider for a moment that there is no meme about brown-haired, brown-eyed step children.

Comment

Originally posted by submessenger View Post
      Where the fuck is my eye soap?
      I put it next to the contact lense cleaner.
      I noticed they were in the same bottle with different labels... so I took off the labels to make mornings interesting!

Comment

Originally posted by Bneterasedmynam View Post
        As long as it's fun I could care less if it's even a remotely accurate style. Smashing people in face with an acrylic lightsaber just seems awesome.
        Yeah, but bashing them in a way that looks and feels like a Jedi knight is more awesome. Have a look at videos of lightsaber sparring to date - most of it is barely a step above LARP-level, rising at best to longsword/kendo lite. Then watch some French canne fencers in action, bearing in mind that their rules enforce a certain level of spectacle and reward even more spectacle.

Comment

Originally posted by DdlR View Post
          Given that this is happening in France, there's an opportunity to "do it right" that I haven't seen in lightsaber fencing in other countries, which tends to clumsily reinvent the wheels of kendo and HEMA longsword.

If they use the canne fencing model for the rules - requiring things like moulinets (spins) and full extensions on every strike, awarding higher points for technically flashy and difficult techniques like jumping strikes, etc., then they'll end up with a fun spectator sport that actually resembles the lightsaber fighting shown in the movies.
          I was also hoping for liberal use of canne de combat. Definitely one of the most entertaining weapon sports out there.

Comment

My knife fighting instructor has some of those shock knives that we use every once in a while. They are pretty fun. I would totally spar with some shock swords. But I'm not really scared of electricity. I've been tazed so many times I could probably turn on a light bulb with my teeth. Now pepper spray, screw that. You can have it.

I'm hoping this light saber thing takes off and I can get some people to take part. Well, except those fencing guys at the University I sparred with. Those dudes were weird.

Comment

A realistic lightsaber style would probably use small wiggling motions to lightly touch the other fighter, instantly cutting off whatever is touched. Such a method would beat every flamboyant fighting style in the Star Wars universe. No need for good body mechanics cuts like a real sword, no need for any jumping around or power swings or spins, just quickly shearing off the opponent's closest body part. But such a style would be boring and dorky looking to watch, so the form rules of canne de combat or similar would keep it entertaining.

Comment

Originally posted by Permalost View Post
                A realistic lightsaber style would probably use small wiggling motions to lightly touch the other fighter, instantly cutting off whatever is touched. Such a method would beat every flamboyant fighting style in the Star Wars universe. No need for good body mechanics cuts like a real sword, no need for any jumping around or power swings or spins, just quickly shearing off the opponent's closest body part. But such a style would be boring and dorky looking to watch, so the form rules of canne de combat or similar would keep it entertaining.
                I would think range and footwork would be the biggest factor with cutting techniques being the least. You would need to use footwork and quickness to stay out of range, circling, and angling to evade the slightest touch. But also pivoting with those angles to catch the opponent off balance to close the distance and touch before they can defend.

At least that would be my approach.

Comment

Originally posted by Diesel_tke View Post
                  I would think range and footwork would be the biggest factor with cutting techniques being the least. You would need to use footwork and quickness to stay out of range, circling, and angling to evade the slightest touch. But also pivoting with those angles to catch the opponent off balance to close the distance and touch before they can defend.

At least that would be my approach.
                  Lightsaber sparring rules have prioritized efficiency over aesthetics, which in practice leads straight to more-or-less LARPy reinventions of kendo or HEMA longsword fencing (only with lightsabers). That means that lightsaber sparring is basically redundant unless it can distinguish itself from already extant weapon combat sports, via rule-sets that enforce certain style points.

Modern canne de combat was specifically designed as an "artistic sport". It's genuinely athletic and highly competitive, but the rules prioritize form and reward spectacle - every strike has to be executed from a moulinet and has to be fully extended, and you get higher points for landing attacks while leaping, spinning, leaping while spinning, etc. If those rules were applied to lightsaber sparring, you'd end up with a really new and distinct combat sport that actually resembled the flashy fight choreography seen in the recent Star Wars movies.

Comment

By way of example, this is pretty typical of lightsaber sparring:

... and this is typical canne de combat:

Comment

Sounds cool, but I have shitty knees. So all that fancy jumping and spinning would be out for me. I would have to take a more utilitarian approach. :D

Comment

Since its under the fencing federation im wondering on how they govern ‘light sabres’. Darth Maul had that double one and keilo ren or whatever his name is has a cross hilt on his. Both these designs have their advantages.

Sith clearly builds better weapons.

Comment

They also have better costumes.

Comment

Originally posted by Kravbizarre View Post
                            Since its under the fencing federation im wondering on how they govern ‘light sabres’. Darth Maul had that double one and keilo ren or whatever his name is has a cross hilt on his. Both these designs have their advantages.

Sith clearly builds better weapons.
                            I'd like to watch that cross hilt deal a little closer in person. Seems like it would be easy to cut your own arm off with that thing.

Comment

Originally posted by Diesel_tke View Post
                              I'd like to watch that cross hilt deal a little closer in person. Seems like it would be easy to cut your own arm off with that thing.
                              That saber has caused much butthurt within the force and beyond. I don't really see the advantage for a lightsaber to have one unless it can be used for it's primary purpose of the bind. The one in the movie appears to have a gap where it meets the handle that would make it useless for the bind. However it could be argued via sci fi logic that there's some shielding etc. I don't think it would be much of a hazard for self injury though, at least not if it were used as a proper cross hilt sword.

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                              X