Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lightsaber dueling an official sport

https://www.theverge.com/2019/2/19/1...official-sport

The French Fencing Federation has recognized lightsaber dueling as an official sport, reports the Associated Press. The federation has made the move in an attempt to make the sport more appealing to a younger generation, and it has designed its rules to make sporting matches every bit as visually appealing as their big-screen counterparts.

I personally have no problem with this. I get that they are trying to get people interested in fencing. I also get that it will encourage many many larpers. But who cares. My dad teaches fencing for his university fencing team and they always have trouble getting people to join. I would consider participating. It would probably be fun. Especially if I paint my fencing mask into Darth Maul or something.

Sign me up it sounds like fun. To be honest if people want to martial larp let them have their fun. Least this isn't proposing to teach them killer ST333T techniques.
    "BJJ!!! Guard can't protect you from collapsing gym roof, tough guy!" - W. Rabbit

Comment

I guess they make lightsabers that can withstand hard contact now? Thats cool. I've seen plenty of rattan contact that would break any lightsaber I've seen before.

I'm more of a bat'leth guy myself.

Comment

Originally posted by Permalost View Post
        I guess they make lightsabers that can withstand hard contact now? Thats cool. I've seen plenty of rattan contact that would break any lightsaber I've seen before.

I'm more of a bat'leth guy myself.
        They DO make lightsabers you can spar with now. And it is FUN. It is COMPLETELY ahistorical, and of questionable martial validity. But it is FUN. We have a local group that does it.
        Some of there more talented guys train HEMA with us to actually learn to use weapons. But I like the fact that it requires no more gear than for synthetics and is completely nerd cool.

Edit:
        Meant to post some links for usable sabers.

https://ultrasabers.com/product/the-...SABEgK_efD_BwE

https://saberforge.com/
        Last edited by AcerTempest; 2/21/2019 2:01pm, . Reason: Links

Comment

What would really make this type of training fun is if the lightsabers were like shock batons.

Comment

Originally posted by Bneterasedmynam View Post
            What would really make this type of training fun is if the lightsabers were like shock batons.
            Now I am interested in this thread.

That is a very good idea.

Comment

Originally posted by Bneterasedmynam View Post
              Yeah, something like a Tesla Coil...

On a more mundane level, though, I think one could mix/match common ranch implements with some engineering to come up with a reasonable alternative.

At a cruder level, this...
              [video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GFjhw4xkGpM[video]

Yeah, here you go...

Shit, the technology is there !
              https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencet...s-himself.html

Comment

Anyone want a deaf cat?

... what was I saying?
                Oh yeah!
                Cattle prods and tazer batons have been around forever.

Comment

I was at the gym when they showed a segment on this, on the Today show (or whichever morning show has the gap-toothed football player dude on it). I obviously didn't have sound, but the "athletes" they chose for a demonstration were hilariously doughy, typical neckbeards.

Comment

Originally posted by AcerTempest View Post
                    They DO make lightsabers you can spar with now. And it is FUN. It is COMPLETELY ahistorical, and of questionable martial validity. But it is FUN. We have a local group that does it.
                    Some of there more talented guys train HEMA with us to actually learn to use weapons. But I like the fact that it requires no more gear than for synthetics and is completely nerd cool.

Edit:
                    Meant to post some links for usable sabers.

https://ultrasabers.com/product/the-...SABEgK_efD_BwE

https://saberforge.com/

This is Not the Way of The Sith or Jedi......

You must build your lightsaber yourself....

https://www.instructables.com/id/Building-a-Lightsaber/

Because force users are frugal?

Comment

Originally posted by BackFistMonkey View Post
                      Anyone want a deaf cat?

... what was I saying?
                      Oh yeah!
                      Cattle prods and tazer batons have been around forever.
                      yeah, everybody SAYS they want to spar/train with shocky stuff, but nobody REALLY wants to get online and order a nice cattle prod and hand-held shock gun/knife as backup.

I've got my second kitty, introducing "Pumpkin", named by Wife Unit. He is an outdoor cat whether he likes it or not, for now at least. My old lady cat is NOT happy...

Comment

This thread made me think of

Comment

Originally posted by hungryjoe View Post
                          This thread made me think of

What in the fuckity fuck is this shit?? I don't know whether to feel sorry for them or mock them.

Comment

Given that this is happening in France, there's an opportunity to "do it right" that I haven't seen in lightsaber fencing in other countries, which tends to clumsily reinvent the wheels of kendo and HEMA longsword.

If they use the canne fencing model for the rules - requiring things like moulinets (spins) and full extensions on every strike, awarding higher points for technically flashy and difficult techniques like jumping strikes, etc., then they'll end up with a fun spectator sport that actually resembles the lightsaber fighting shown in the movies.

Comment

Originally posted by DdlR View Post
                              Given that this is happening in France, there's an opportunity to "do it right" that I haven't seen in lightsaber fencing in other countries, which tends to clumsily reinvent the wheels of kendo and HEMA longsword.

If they use the canne fencing model for the rules - requiring things like moulinets (spins) and full extensions on every strike, awarding higher points for technically flashy and difficult techniques like jumping strikes, etc., then they'll end up with a fun spectator sport that actually resembles the lightsaber fighting shown in the movies.
                              As long as it's fun I could care less if it's even a remotely accurate style. Smashing people in face with an acrylic lightsaber just seems awesome.

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                              X