Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Building Quality Relationships with Martial Arts Video

Hello,

I'm an elementary school teacher in California who takes pride in teaching my future citizens and leaders life skills. I'm also a martial artist who holds a blue belt in BJJ and a green belt in Judo (I know......nothing to jaw dropping, but...) I make the following video for my students in attempt of connecting them in positive social networks, such as martial arts, to build more genuine/authentic relationships. If you have children, or just interested in my perspective, I have linked the video below and I'd appreciate your feedback:

Looks like I can't post a link until I've posted 5 times........I plan on posting in the future because I enjoy discussing martial arts techniques and current events. In the meantime you can still see my video if you look me up on Youtube as "Lifeskillsguy".

Approved ... and being left in YMAS.

W3lcom3 to Bullshido.

Comment

Thank you for approving the thread and I look forward to hearing feedback from everyone:)

Comment

Comment

Thanks. I still have a couple of posts to make before I can post a link, and being the lifeskills guy, I don't want to manufacture a couple of empty entries. I'll post the link when I qualify, for sure. Maybe some kind soul can post the link for the newb..........

Comment

Okay, here we go: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vDaCkKaRWI4&t=1012s

Comment

Originally posted by lifeskillsbjj View Post
              Look at your original post.

Comment

Originally posted by Omega Supreme View Post
                Someone let me know how this turns out I am having a hard time consuming this video.
                Originally posted by youtube video description
                This video takes my 10 years of martial arts experience (mostly bjj but also boxing, judo, jeet kune do, Krav Maga) and 17 years of teaching elementary school to discuss how positive social networks
                So OP how old are you again?
                What is your rank in BJJ, JKD, Krav?

Comment

Originally posted by Omega Supreme View Post
                  Thank you, kind soul!!!

Comment

Originally posted by BackFistMonkey View Post
                    Someone let me know how this turns out I am having a hard time consuming this video.

So OP how old are you again?
                    What is your rank in BJJ, JKD, Krav?
                    I'm 48. I'm a blue belt in BJJ (Gracie Barra), a green belt in Judo, and I don't hold ranks in any other discipline. I went to a JKD instructor who worked out of his home for a few months, but studied the philosophy (especially Bruce Lee) for a little more than that. I studied a few months of Krav until they started a BJJ class at the academy and I started training only BJJ.

Comment

Originally posted by PDA View Post
                      I’ll pop back when you have posted link because lazy

but I confess with a name like “lifeskillsguy” I think you have potential here and am greatly looking forward to hearing more from you .
                      My link is posted and the video is ready. Hoping my potential that you assumed of me shines through. Regardless of what you think, I'd appreciate your feedback:)

Comment

You start by saying that you do not want to make a 20 minute video and then proceed to make a 23 minute video.

You take far too long to make your points.

I had to skip through most of it as it was painful and to be brutally honest it seamed more like a soap box for your being nice than any particularly useful information.

If I was the in the target audience then maybe id appreciate it more but it creeped me out as you seam to be trying to help adults the way I help my 5yr old.

If you really want to know what people think of your video you should enable comments on Youtube.

Ill add that my son had some problems with dealing with rough play and confrontations .

He was given a few tools to address boundary's with others so he knows how to say "stop i dont like that" but they largely encourage the children to find their own way to deal with things in free play.

Apparently there is allot of science supporting this approach but it is generally only allowed in private schools as the public schools have become pussified.

If I get the time ill watch it with my son at some point and come back again.

I will also add that when you first discover BJJ it can be a bit like becoming a born again christian in that you want to spread the word excitedly about this new thing you have discovered despite not necessarily being qualified to do so or the people you are preaching to giving a rats turd about martial arts/Christianity.
                        Last edited by PDA; 2/04/2019 4:14am, .

Comment

Originally posted by PDA View Post
                          You start by saying that you do not want to make a 20 minute video and then proceed to make a 23 minute video.

You take far too long to make your points.

I had to skip through most of it as it was painful and to be brutally honest it seamed more like a soap box for your being nice than any particularly useful information.

If I was the in the target audience then maybe id appreciate it more but it creeped me out as you seam to be trying to help adults the way I help my 5yr old.

If you really want to know what people think of your video you should enable comments on Youtube.

Ill add that my son had some problems with dealing with rough play and confrontations .

He was given a few tools to address boundary's with others so he knows how to say "stop i dont like that" but they largely encourage the children to find their own way to deal with things in free play.

Apparently there is allot of science supporting this approach but it is generally only allowed in private schools as the public schools have become pussified.

If I get the time ill watch it with my son at some point and come back again.

I will also add that when you first discover BJJ it can be a bit like becoming a born again christian in that you want to spread the word excitedly about this new thing you have discovered despite not necessarily being qualified to do so or the people you are preaching to giving a rats turd about martial arts/Christianity.
                          I appreciate the feedback. Yes, the video is made for a younger audience and I'm hoping it will encourage participation in martial arts (especially BJJ) while also providing tips on bullying. I agree that the video is too long and that I over explain everything. This is the beginning of a project I'm doing for my 4th grade classroom to spread more positivity over the Internet and put out positive content for a younger audience, and all of the advice I receive is very helpful for my future projects. I really appreciate your input. Thank you.

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                          X