Aikido and BJJ

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Raycetpfl View Post
    I watched a former Aikido guy who is now my bjj student try to do some sort of aikido throw to his training partner when I was teaching self defense throws. He whipped his arm around about 5 times and it was a genuine shock to him that it had absolutely no effect and really confused his parter (a low blue belt)as to what he was trying to accomplish.
    After laughing a bit i walked to the other side of the room and asked ,"Have you done aikido?" He said yes and I said ,"It doest work. If you tried that in a fight it would get you hurt. We do stuff that works even when your opponent doesn't want it to. Now try the head and arm/ O-Gruma some more."
    It becomes an ethical dilemma when we are in a room where false claims are made about self-defense, and we serially endorse the false claims with our silence, coupled with our presence, as credentialed self-defense instructors.

I have to limit my time in almost every Aikido room for that reason, even though I have some old fart Judo friends who train Aikido in their middle age and/or senior years.

I am the faculty key holder and faculty club sponsor to several martial arts clubs on campus, including the BJJ/Judo/Wrestling club, but also the Aikido club.

I am not an Aikidoka, but they need a faculty sponsor to have a club, and I am the 'mat room' guy.

In fact, I personally bought the mats in that room for martial arts training on campus, so if a university group or individual wants to use the mat room, or the mats, I am the faculty contact point.

I think that there are advantages to an Aikido club on campus, and it is a generally wholesome university activity.

But, when I hear the Aikido folks make chi ball claims, or clearly false claims about self-defense efficacy or their own fighting prowess to other university students, I do make a contrary view statement.

This can result in odd, awkward, and uncomfortable moments, especially around older instructors who should know better, but still make false or misleading claims.

It is a shame that Aikido folks can’t simply enjoy their exercises and drills without the instructors venturing into chi ball or exaggerated claims of efficacy or prowess.

Aikido practitioners often have beautiful falling skills and elegant footwork and posture.

The practice of Aikido as an exercise is surely better than eating chips on laying on the couch.

And the practice of Aikido as a method of stress relief, or moving meditation, may have the mental health benefits of any social, relaxation, physical activity, where the participants try to foster a positive and supportive outlook.

The set of reliable Aikido techniques in adversarial physical conflict is probably a very, very, very narrow subset of their general practice.

Aikido training is generally not a very realistic form of training, outside of practicing falling, and stressing avoidance, for actual physical violence situations.

I am not saying that all Aikido techniques don’t work, or would never work, but the practice of Aikido usually involves high degrees of compliance, and relies on assumptions about opponent behaviors that often are not congruent with how people actually behave in adversarial physical conflict.
    Last edited by Dr. Gonzo; 4/30/2019 6:16am, .

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
    X