Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Aikido and BJJ

Hi guys

New to the forum and first of all my apologies in advance for any mistake on forum rules

Trained hard in aikido for 4 years in the early 2000s (a somewhat hardened classic style), whatever.
    A few months ago started BJJ classes. While sparring, somehow (and mostly instictively) managed to successfuly apply some aikido techiques like:

- koshi nage, both from a low position (standing on knees), then getting to the mount.

- ikkyo, applied to legs in order to pass the guard, turning the back of my partner upwards and getting to rear choke. Also applied to arms from mount, getting similar result, you get the picture.

- few other techinques to free my wrists, and so on.

In short, I learn and train BJJ, apply BJJ techniques, but found out some aikido techniques came handy.
    Whats your advise for a newbe, should i forget and throw away all the aikido stuff, or keep to my advantage when sparring?

Thanks in advance for your advise!

Originally posted by toxique10 View Post
    Hi guys

New to the forum and first of all my apologies in advance for any mistake on forum rules

Trained hard in aikido for 4 years in the early 2000s (a somewhat hardened classic style), whatever.
    A few months ago started BJJ classes. While sparring, somehow (and mostly instictively) managed to successfuly apply some aikido techiques like:

- koshi nage, both from a low position (standing on knees), then getting to the mount.

- ikkyo, applied to legs in order to pass the guard, turning the back of my partner upwards and getting to rear choke. Also applied to arms from mount, getting similar result, you get the picture.

- few other techinques to free my wrists, and so on.

In short, I learn and train BJJ, apply BJJ techniques, but found out some aikido techniques came handy.
    Whats your advise for a newbe, should i forget and throw away all the aikido stuff, or keep to my advantage when sparring?

Thanks in advance for your advise!
    Aikido that works is Bjj. There just isn't a lot of it.

Comment

Basic Tech -----> YMAS

Dear OP,

JJ is JJ is JJ. People get upset when I say that but it is true. There are only so many ways to manipulate the human with the human body. *JJ has basically categorized most of it. The real magic is how you train it.

If you find bits of your aikido working and your instructor approves (aka it doesn't break any rules of the dojo like attacking the finger or other such nonsense) use what works. I think you will quickly find yourself running out of "aikido" things you find useful as you will be learning similar things, then actually applying them is useful way against people.

Comment

You'll find some of the things you learned in Aikido are useful in a BJJ context but after you become more skilled at the later.

Comment

... I forgot to move this last night...
          so moved ...

Comment

Cool, thanks a lot for your advices guys from a newbe. Hopefully will request more of your advices soon!

Comment

Aikido is simply an elaborate dance with a couple of joint locks and throws added in.

Comment

Originally posted by Raycetpfl View Post
                Urm...okay I'll let it go. I was going to say something similar but it comes down to semantics.

Comment

I think the philosophy of Aikido will help you when training BJJ. I have a friend who trains BJJ with me who's a black belt in Aikido. He always flows when we roll and has a great regard for using technique over strength.

Comment

One caveat.

Many BJJ players have terrible foot work while standing.

Before we get too excited about BJJ, let's not forget that many BJJ players act as if they lead weights around their feet while standing.

Which is of course not optimal.

But we before we have too much fun picking on the jap jammy folks doing other Blah Blah Blah Fu, let's pick on our discipline first.

Comment

Funny seeing this, I was about to ask a question from another side. Since Im back at Judo and BJJ now, I was considering hitting the aikido club up the road on friday nights to see treat it as a 'light day' but given I have the Judo footwork, i dont think it'll add anything.

Comment

Originally posted by Dr. Gonzo View Post
                        One caveat.

Many BJJ players have terrible foot work while standing.

Before we get too excited about BJJ, let's not forget that many BJJ players act as if they lead weights around their feet while standing.

Which is of course not optimal.

But we before we have too much fun picking on the jap jammy folks doing other Blah Blah Blah Fu, let's pick on our discipline first.
                        I watched a former Aikido guy who is now my bjj student try to do some sort of aikido throw to his training partner when I was teaching self defense throws. He whipped his arm around about 5 times and it was a genuine shock to him that it had absolutely no effect and really confused his parter (a low blue belt)as to what he was trying to accomplish.
                        After laughing a bit i walked to the other side of the room and asked ,"Have you done aikido?" He said yes and I said ,"It doest work. If you tried that in a fight it would get you hurt. We do stuff that works even when your opponent doesn't want it to. Now try the head and arm/ O-Gruma some more."

Comment

Originally posted by kimjonghng View Post
                          Funny seeing this, I was about to ask a question from another side. Since Im back at Judo and BJJ now, I was considering hitting the aikido club up the road on friday nights to see treat it as a 'light day' but given I have the Judo footwork, i dont think it'll add anything.
                          At your level you would be be better off going home eating and getting some rest.

Comment

I watched a former Aikido guy who is now my bjj student try to do some sort of aikido throw to his training partner when I was teaching self defense throws. He whipped his arm around about 5 times and it was a genuine shock to him that it had absolutely no effect and really confused his parter (a low blue belt)as to what he was trying to accomplish.
                            After laughing a bit i walked to the other side of the room and asked ,"Have you done aikido?" He said yes and I said ,"It doest work. If you tried that in a fight it would get you hurt. We do stuff that works even when your opponent doesn't want it to. Now try the head and arm/ O-Gruma some more."
                            Good job...

Comment

Honestly I think this makes you the most accomplished aikido guy alive.

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                              X