Aikido and Ninjutsu rocks!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BackFistMonkey View Post
    Does not seem like best practices at all.
    I know Sambo guys, and Judo guys for that matter, and wrestlers, that do western gymnastics.

Comment

Originally posted by WFMurphyPhD View Post
      I know Sambo guys, and Judo guys for that matter, and wrestlers, that do western gymnastics.
      I was a gymnast for a number of years. Never got "really good" but spent almost a decade tumbling and doing the parallel bars, rings, and trampoline... it can give you some surprising insight in situations outside of its intended scope.

Notice I didn't say the video showed techs that wouldn't work ... I just feel most gymnastic floor techniques are designed to be used on mats.

In other words it doesn't look like best practices for a badass street and WAR! art like Systema.

Comment

I was a gymnast for a number of years. Never got "really good" but spent almost a decade tumbling and doing the parallel bars, rings, and trampoline... it can give you some surprising insight in situations outside of its intended scope.

Notice I didn't say the video showed techs that wouldn't work ... I just feel most gymnastic floor techniques are designed to be used on mats.

In other words it doesn't look like best practices for a badass street and WAR! art like Systema.
        OK.

I am just telling you that some grapplers do Circus warm up routines. Some even stretch.

Not me.

But I am am middle aged, salty, and am more prone to drink cheap beer and/or drink whiskey, carry iron, and tell people to get off my yard.

Comment

I guess this is where I point out that when I first met Retuinskih it wasn't a big fan of mats. He would rather you fell on dirt, or ice, or hard wood floors. It appears that between older age and competition rules somewhere along the line more common sense broke out.
          Don't rely on theory if your life is at stake.

"But now that you've anointed him as truthsayer, you'll be complicit with what happens when the next Jew comes here and is lambasted by an ultrasecular Rabbi" -W.Rabbit/Pship/Emily Dickinson/Earth Dragon/Self Proclaimed Editor Extraordinaire

Comment

Anybody have short rolodex to him?

I would like him to hit me, and I would gladly either train or roll with him, as he chooses, and report back.

We seem to circle on this person, but until he lays hands on one of us, it is so much @#$%^/.
            A great many have tried to spar with him, including me. You have to pay to go to one of his semminars to get the opportunity, and then he is very selective about who he will actually take and do that with. Usually it is other bullshidoka like John Giduck.

For more on the "Wrestler" there see this article that probably should be here:
            https://thetruthaboutsocnetlies.word...s-association/
            Don't rely on theory if your life is at stake.

"But now that you've anointed him as truthsayer, you'll be complicit with what happens when the next Jew comes here and is lambasted by an ultrasecular Rabbi" -W.Rabbit/Pship/Emily Dickinson/Earth Dragon/Self Proclaimed Editor Extraordinaire

Comment

Originally posted by halfcut View Post
              We do almost the same falling and rolling methods in Sambo, a lot of it is from gymnastics. It can make the pure Judo guys nervous when they drop in for a class
              Those are front and back shoulder rolls, one aspect of ukemi waza, useful in ground work and well.

They are not typical of judo breakfalls.
              Falling for Judo since 1980

"You are wrong. Why? Because you move like a pregnant yak and talk like a spazzing 'I train UFC' noob." -DCS

"The best part of getting you worked up is your backpack full of irony and lies." -It Is Fake

"Banning BKR is like kicking a Quokka. It's foolishness of the first order." - Raycetpfl

Comment

I encouraged my students to take gymnastic privates.

"You are wrong. Why? Because you move like a pregnant yak and talk like a spazzing 'I train UFC' noob." -DCS

"The best part of getting you worked up is your backpack full of irony and lies." -It Is Fake

"Banning BKR is like kicking a Quokka. It's foolishness of the first order." - Raycetpfl

Comment

Does not seem like best practices at all.
                  It is a part of ukemi, more useful in groundwork, IMO.

Judo ukemi has different aspects, hard,flat falling, rolling...

Comment

Looked like very basic, physical literacy stuff. Kids do similar in a good judo class. Adults struggle with it.

People do not realize how long it takes to develop all the underlying physical literacy to truly excel at multifaceted athletics like grappling.

Comment

OK.

I am just telling you that some grapplers do Circus warm up routines. Some even stretch.

Not me.

But I am am middle aged, salty, and am more prone to drink cheap beer and/or drink whiskey, carry iron, and tell people to get off my yard.
                      Sure enough...

Comment

Originally posted by BKR View Post
                        Looked like very basic, physical literacy stuff. Kids do similar in a good judo class. Adults struggle with it.

People do not realize how long it takes to develop all the underlying physical literacy to truly excel at multifaceted athletics like grappling.
                        I did not like the details of their tumbling, no problem with the tumbling itself.

Originally posted by BKR
                        It is a part of ukemi, more useful in groundwork, IMO.

Judo ukemi has different aspects, hard,flat falling, rolling...
                        I am well aware and the bolded idea holds up until you watch most Systema guys roll (randori roll, not tumbling roll) with each other.

Comment

I did not like the details of their tumbling, no problem with the tumbling itself.

I am well aware and the bolded idea holds up until you watch most Systema guys roll (randori roll, not tumbling roll) with each other.
                          Just doing shoulder rolls does not good grappling make.

I used to be able to do basic tumbling. One gymnastics class in college.
                          Which is why I told my students to get professional help with it.

Nobody listened, tho.

The "good" videos Michael posted were typical for kids judo at a certain age/level in the West.

I learned a lot of stuff from a pro acrobat in New Orleans, who took some judo from me.

As in warmups. Same from an Italian judo friend, same place. Euro is or was diff from trad USA or Japanese.

Circus warmups, Bill wrote...

Comment

Just doing shoulder rolls does not good grappling make.

I used to be able to do basic tumbling. One gymnastics class in college.
                            Which is why I told my students to get professional help with it.

Nobody listened, tho.

The "good" videos Michael posted were typical for kids judo at a certain age/level in the West.

I learned a lot of stuff from a pro acrobat in New Orleans, who took some judo from me.

As in warmups. Same from an Italian judo friend, same place. Euro is or was diff from trad USA or Japanese.

Circus warmups, Bill wrote...
                            I should take a day for Capoeira I think. I still can't cartwheel for shit. I'm one uncoordinated motherfucker.

Comment

Originally posted by ghost55 View Post
                              I should take a day for Capoeira I think. I still can't cartwheel for shit. I'm one uncoordinated motherfucker.
                              I suspect that's mostly because you were not that Physically Active as a kid Never Had any gymnastics,

Try to get professional help with your gymnastics.

Yeah I know money but you're going to have to pay for that Brazilian breakdancing.

So remember what I wrote while back about trying to get strong and s*** when your uncoordinated and inflexible and not agile?

Comment

Surfers,roller bladers and skate boarders do very well at Bjj because of this. The immense amout of balance,body control and spacial awareness makes learning new Skills easier. Yoga,gymnastics and break dancing are also great bases.

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                                X