Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Case Study: Death by Stupidity

https://amp-reporternews-com.cdn.amp...F1419910002%2F

People's denial of the own certain death, especially given certain stimuli, never ceases to amaze me.

Loud talk and physical prowess does nothing to protect you, when two firearms, spaced apart, are already in a ready position, with the shooters vectoring themselves at you, with fingers on the triggers.

Equally amazing are when people stand in front of cars, threatening the drivers, or across busy highways.

Comment

Dumpster defender is a hero dammit.

Comment

Here is a link that won't track you and includes the video.
        amp? Really?

smh

https://www.reporternews.com/story/n...er/1419910002/

Comment

Doubt it.

Comment

more like AN hero.

Since it happened in Texas I won't comment on the legal outcome that will happen there. In Connecticut having someone threaten to kill you, who is unarmed, who is not trying to put their hands on you, (and the guy was larger) will not successfully support the affirmative defense of self defense. I can change the facts, like a woman, being threatened, by a stalker, who had previously hurt her which would possibly allow such a defense. Two guys who had guns, would not be able to succeed with this claim in my state. This will be an interesting trial.

All over a friggen mattress.

Comment

Mac Mcyoung once wrote of an incident in New York City, (he gave the victims name) where an actress being mugged said in effect "what are you going to do, shoot us". (in an aggressive tone) and got shot. The victim here was stupid enough to say "shoot me". Regardless of what legally went down, this is very stupid thing to say to a person who has a gun, or is holding a gun on you.

Comment

TFA says dude had a bat. Video doesn't show that, but I suppose conceivable.

Also, most Texans don't look like those greasy blobs of crap.

There was ample opportunity to de-escalate. So, stand your ground or no, I think the shooters were in the wrong. Vic was definitely menacing, but my opinion is he wouldn't have chased them if they just walked away, as he asked them to on video.

(edit: moar)
                Originally posted by Abilene Police Department
                When the first shots were fired, Aaron had a bat in his hand and was approximately seven feet from John Miller, who was the closest to him. When Michael Miller discharged his shotgun and John Miller fired the final two rounds from his pistol, Aaron Howard was unarmed. Both the Millers admitted to shooting Howard
                https://www.reporternews.com/story/n...sh/1383106002/

So, pistol, shotgun, pistol, pistol are the four shots heard. Shot one, Howard had a bat, is the way that reads, to me. I suppose justifiable. I still think this could have been avoided. I'm also sure that I'm no longer able to be on this jury, if I ever was.
                Consider for a moment that there is no meme about brown-haired, brown-eyed step children.

Comment

Is that a bat we see go flying at the pistol man in the final seconds?

Comment

Originally posted by Crafty Dog View Post
                    Is that a bat we see go flying at the pistol man in the final seconds?
                    Great catch, I missed that on the first three watches. You are correct.

(edit)
                    You can see old fat guy taking cover from the incoming bat; what seems to be strange is that Howard was already seen turning away, so the bat probably came from the alleged fifth participant.
                    Consider for a moment that there is no meme about brown-haired, brown-eyed step children.

Comment

I believe the shooters were wrong in this one. From my perspective, he wasn't advancing. They will argue that they felt threatened. However, they weren't acting threatened. I think they were being antagonistic and chose to fire just because they could. No other reason. The dude with the bat should have went home, though. All avoidable.
                      Combatives training log.

Gezere: paraphrase from Bas Rutten, Never escalate the level of violence in fight you are losing. :D

Drum thread

Pavel Tsatsouline: kettlebell workouts give you “cardio without the dishonour of aerobics”.

"Disliking someone is not evidence of wrongdoing or malfeasance or even bias." --Dung Beatles

Comment

Lessons learned:
                        • don't bring a bat to a gun fight
                        • don't throw your bat away
                        • if you're the guy(s) with the gun(s), you should probably shoot out the video camera(s) first

Comment

All around bad deal. Gene pool fail.
                          Carter Hargrave's Jeet Can't Do

http://www.bullshido.net/forums/showthread.php?t=31636

Comment

Someone whom I regard as reliable tells me he had access to the town's police database and the deceased had been in and out of jail various times.

Comment

Originally posted by Crafty Dog View Post
                              Someone whom I regard as reliable tells me he had access to the town's police database and the deceased had been in and out of jail various times.
                              The deceased was engaging in tweaker bullshit. Got what he deserved.

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                              X