Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Shaolin self defense centers Long Island

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Shaolin self defense centers Long Island

    What’s up guys? Not sure where to post this, figured it would wind up here anyway so I’m saving the mods some trouble. So on to my question...

    I live in Suffolk County Ny, started looking into local schools to train at, we have a lot of schools on the island, some well known, some not well known. Anyway I enrolled my kid and myself in a local school under Master Thomas Ingargiola’s lineage and I’m just wondering if anyone else here has trained at one of his Kempo schools on the island and what your thoughts are on the quality of the instruction?

    I have prior experience in BJJ and Muay Thai from when I was younger. At my new school we spar full contact frequently and have grappling class once a week. My Instructor really seems to be very good at standup and very good at grappling. I’m 3 months into my journey and on one hand I like the sparring and grappling, yet on the other I don’t really like spending time learning forms and pinions.

    I know Ingargiola is connected to Prof. Nick Cerio and Kimo Feliciano Ferreira. I also know that he was connected to great super grand master Fred Villari, but broke away from his schools long ago in the 90’s I believe.
    Last edited by Shaolo; 10/15/2018 10:16am, .

    #2
    Well I think your first post is just about perfect. I have nothing to add tho ...

    Welcome to the Forum and have a great Kempo day.

    Comment


      #3
      Why would you choose kenpo over BJJ and muay thai ?

      Comment


        #4
        Originally posted by Raycetpfl View Post
        Why would you choose kenpo over BJJ and muay thai ?

        Comment


          #5
          Originally posted by Shaolo View Post
          What’s up guys? Not sure where to post this, figured it would wind up here anyway so I’m saving the mods some trouble. So on to my question...

          I live in Suffolk County Ny, started looking into local schools to train at, we have a lot of schools on the island, some well known, some not well known. Anyway I enrolled my kid and myself in a local school under Master Thomas Ingargiola’s lineage and I’m just wondering if anyone else here has trained at one of his Kempo schools on the island and what your thoughts are on the quality of the instruction?

          I have prior experience in BJJ and Muay Thai from when I was younger. At my new school we spar full contact frequently and have grappling class once a week. My Instructor really seems to be very good at standup and very good at grappling. I’m 3 months into my journey and on one hand I like the sparring and grappling, yet on the other I don’t really like spending time learning forms and pinions.

          I know Ingargiola is connected to Prof. Nick Cerio and Kimo Feliciano Ferreira. I also know that he was connected to great super grand master Fred Villari, but broke away from his schools long ago in the 90’s I believe.
          So, what exactly are you wanting? If you want to train grappling without forms, BJJ. If you want to train striking without forms, Boxing or kickboxing. You are doing Kempo, so that's what you get, a blend of striking and grappling with forms and cool uniforms. It is what it is.

          Comment


            #6
            Oh and I have a 3rd reason
            3- work schedule conflicts with most of the local BJJ schools.

            Comment


              #7
              Originally posted by Shaolo View Post
              2 reasons.

              1- my instructor is overseas, used to be an army ranger. Now he’s a private security guy and never really in NY anymore.
              2- after watching the kids classes, they basically do a 50/50 mix of Kempo and boxing/kickboxing/Muay Thai. I have a pretty good ground skill set and it’s fun.
              You mean your BJJ instructor? How long did you train in BJJ?

              Comment


                #8
                Originally posted by Diesel_tke View Post
                So, what exactly are you wanting? If you want to train grappling without forms, BJJ. If you want to train striking without forms, Boxing or kickboxing. You are doing Kempo, so that's what you get, a blend of striking and grappling with forms and cool uniforms. It is what it is.
                I’m wanting basically to know if anyone here has spent any time at one of Tom Ingargiolas schools. Just wanting first hand opinions really. He is a legit kick boxer with a very good record. I got involved for the standup.

                Comment


                  #9
                  Yes, my Bjj/Muay Thai instructor is over seas and isn’t available to train with anymore which sucks.

                  I trained in BJJ/Muay Thai for 3 years. My instructor was a brown belt in BJJ so I only hold a white belt, but I don’t train for rank recognition. I was in it for fun, fitness and the challenge of tapping out classmates haha.
                  Last edited by Shaolo; 10/15/2018 11:48am, .

                  Comment


                    #10
                    Originally posted by Shaolo View Post
                    I’m wanting basically to know if anyone here has spent any time at one of Tom Ingargiolas schools. Just wanting first hand opinions really. He is a legit kick boxer with a very good record. I got involved for the standup.
                    Oh, OK. Gotcha. We have a few people from that area that train so I'm sure someone will chime in eventually. But as long as you are training and getting your kid into it, I'm sure you are good to go.

                    Enjoy and feel free to chime in and comment on your training from time to time. Maybe one day in the future, you will be the one to answer someone else's question about the same place.

                    Comment


                      #11
                      Originally posted by Diesel_tke View Post
                      Oh, OK. Gotcha. We have a few people from that area that train so I'm sure someone will chime in eventually. But as long as you are training and getting your kid into it, I'm sure you are good to go.

                      Enjoy and feel free to chime in and comment on your training from time to time. Maybe one day in the future, you will be the one to answer someone else's question about the same place.

                      Comment


                        #12
                        Originally posted by Shaolo View Post
                        Thanks bud, will do. So far I like it, I never really did western style boxing so that part is new to me. My son has fun and actually spare pretty hard against other kids. Most of the local “karate style” schools don’t even let kids spar so that was what sold me on signing him up in the first place. Then a week later I was there early for my sons class and saw one of the adult (21 year old) black belts in the ring with a guy from another school. Our guy whooped the other guys ass in spectacular (kick boxing rules) fashion, so after that I signed up.
                        If they would only do a little less forms I think I’d be more content, but so far I’m enjoying it and learning new things which is what counts I think.
                        Yeah, sounds like a cool place. You never know on forms. I did a lot of kickboxing and grappling when I was younger. Competed in a couple different venues, which was a lot of fun. Well, other than cutting weight. But now days I'm all busted up and do mostly forms. Sparring occasionally but mostly forms and just fitness. You never can tell where life will lead you.

                        Comment

                        Collapse

                        Edit this module to specify a template to display.

                        Working...
                        X