No announcement yet.

Grappling with Hegemonic Masculinity: Masculinity and Heteronormativity in BJJ

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Grappling with Hegemonic Masculinity: Masculinity and Heteronormativity in BJJ

Abstract:

Brazilian Jiu Jitsu and mixed martial arts constitute two strongly overlapping, culturally influential communities composed mostly of men who enact a particular strain of masculinity through participation in grappling-based martial arts (GBMA). Similar to all masculinity projects, grappling based
    martial arts participants are constrained by hegemonic forces shaping masculinities, particularly heteronomativity, machismo, female exclusion, and a marked interest and propensity toward violence.

This paper critically examines the strain of masculinity unique to GBMA drawing on psychoanalytic approaches and reveals it to be best understood as an overt manifestation of phallic masculinity that is extended toward the hypermasculine by a homoerotic-yet-homophobic tension predicated upon performative homosociality and symbolic homosexuality. Specifically, GBMA masculinity can be understood as strict phallic masculinity expanded to include symbolic expressions of violence as a hegemonic masculinity-approved vent for repressed male-on-male homosexual desires and behavior in the absence of socially sanctioned opportunities for healthy male-on-male touch. An understanding of this dynamic within GBMA reveals its parallels with marginalized homosexual masculinities, and offers the potential to shift it toward greater openness, honesty, and inclusion.
    Read more: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1_TQ...BI0kxpYUv/view

Spoiler:
    Academic hoax in the line of the ones mentioned in https://www.bullshido.net/these-hero...he-modern-age/

Originally posted by DCS View Post

Spoiler:
    Academic hoax in the line of the ones mentioned in https://www.bullshido.net/these-hero...he-modern-age/
    Just read it.
    Synopsis: Bullshit.
    Millennials are pretty open about being queer. I teach 6 openly gay students that I know of ,a few people on the autism spectrum, about 30 women and no one is rude to any of them or I would break their soul. I dont know if everyone at our school is a good person but they are decent enough to pretend to be while they train.
    Last edited by Raycetpfl; 10/03/2018 1:49pm, .

Comment

Spoiler:
      I mean come on rear mount?

Comment

Don't make eye contact.

Comment

Weak sauce. 3/10.

Comment

I originally thought bjj looked gay, almost like 2 guys wanting to screw and thought its effectivness was overated. Nearly 3 years in and i think its the best thing ive decided to do. Still looks gay but the guy getting tapped isnt thinking about it at that stage lol

Comment

Seriously, y'all need to go read the actual study this came from, as in the wider "hoax" these academics inflicted on the "grievance studies" in academia (fucking love that name).

This was an attempt to see how far they could pull the wool over the eyes of "peers" from academic journals requiring "peer review".

And y'all said I was paranoid!
              GET A RED BELT OR DIE TRYIN'.
              Originally posted by Devil
              I think Battlefields and I had a spirited discussion once about who was the biggest narcissist. We both wanted the title but at the end of the day I had to concede defeat. Can't win 'em all.
              Originally posted by BackFistMonkey
              I <3 Battlefields...

Comment

Originally posted by battlefields View Post
                This was an attempt to see how far they could pull the wool over the eyes of "peers" from academic journals requiring "peer review".
                This one didn't pass the peer review process.

Comment

I know, I've read the entire thing. This is actually one of the least outrageous in my opinion.
                  I think Battlefields and I had a spirited discussion once about who was the biggest narcissist. We both wanted the title but at the end of the day I had to concede defeat. Can't win 'em all.
                  I <3 Battlefields...

Comment

Hahahaha and I do BJJ!

Just realised how homoerotic that sounded.

Not that I really give a shit, grapplers are fully aware of what it looks like to outsiders, we don't do it for them.
                    I <3 Battlefields...

Comment

Haha I remember seeing this meme years ago.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Comment

What rhymes with peer ?

Comment

I'm one of two trans people at my BJJ gym. Nobody gives us any trouble. Nobody who visits us during our open mat sessions gives us any trouble, either.

Comment

Originally posted by kendamu View Post
                            I'm one of two trans people at my BJJ gym. Nobody gives us any trouble. Nobody who visits us during our open mat sessions gives us any trouble, either.
                            Braggart.
                            Surely someone when you roll gives you trouble.

Comment

We had a blue belt who had disappeared after getting the belt (blue belt curse) come out when Australia voted "yes" to marriage equality. Everyone kinda went, "oh, okay, cool. When are you getting back on the mat?"
                              I <3 Battlefields...

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                              X