Fairly good list of what a Mcdojo is.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fairly good list of what a Mcdojo is.

Came across this video today. I had my doubts about it as I've see a few videos drop the ball on their opinion about what is a Mcdojo. What you guys think?

Good find. I think it’s a pretty comprehensive list.

My only minor quibble- which may be more specific to my area- would be the lineage (or lack thereof) argument.

I’d say pretty much all of the TKD schools around me have verifiable lineages and over qualify as mcdojos.

He did qualify his statements, I just notice- at least around me- most if not all of the mcdojos have a verifiable lineage. It seems to be one of their selling points.

You’re up the coast a bit. Different in your area?

Comment

Well he did qualify his statement by stating 'if they have most of these checked off' instead of having all of these.

Comment

Originally posted by Omega Supreme View Post
        Came across this video today. I had my doubts about it as I've see a few videos drop the ball on their opinion about what is a Mcdojo. What you guys think?

I think it's excellent, though more applicable to the US than Europe.

Shouldn't no touch sparring have been included?

Comment

Originally posted by Moenstah View Post
          I think it's excellent, though more applicable to the US than Europe.

What the fuck is no touch sparring?? You either spar or you don't. Air doesn't count.

Comment

Originally posted by Bneterasedmynam View Post
            What the fuck is no touch sparring?? You either spar or you don't. Air doesn't count.
            Don't ask me AFAIK it's an American thing. First time I heard about it it was an American exchange student asking if I knew any karate clubs that were into that
            . I managed not to laugh in her face, she was in the wrong (namely Jon Bluming)country

Comment

Originally posted by Moenstah View Post
              He did mention chi balls and no touch knockouts, though.

Great video, by the way. Most of what he mentioned applies to Brazilian McDojos as well.

Comment

Heh, chi balls.

Comment

You'd also want to look out for claims of an inordinate number of high ranks, extensive MMA career, teaching a self-founded style, mixing up cultures, e.g. naming a kung fu school after a Greek myth...
                  "Systema, which means, 'the system'..."

Originally posted by strikistanian
                  DROP SEIONAGI MOTHERFUCKER! Except I don't know Judo, so it doesn't work, and he takes my back.
                  Originally posted by Devil
                  Why is it so goddamn hard to find a video of it? I've seen videos I'm pretty sure are alien spacecraft. But still no good Krav.
                  Originally posted by Plasma
                  At the point, I must act! You see my rashguard saids "Jiu Jitsu vs The World" and "The World" was standing in front me teaching Anti-Grappling in a school I help run.
                  Originally posted by SoulMechanic
                  Thank you, not dying really rewarding in more ways than I can express.

Comment

Originally posted by ermghoti View Post
                    You'd also want to look out for claims of an inordinate number of high ranks, extensive MMA career, teaching a self-founded style, mixing up cultures, e.g. naming a kung fu school after a Greek myth...
                    Even worse would be a Kung Fu school naming themselves after Norse/Old Germanic Religious Gospel/traditions. The culture appropriation of my peoples traditions and warrior culture by Asians is ridiculous and out of hand.

Comment

Originally posted by ermghoti View Post
                      Originally posted by Raycetpfl View Post
                      Even worse would be a Kung Fu school naming themselves after Norse/Old Germanic Religious Gospel/traditions. The culture appropriation of my peoples traditions and warrior culture by Asians is ridiculous and out of hand.

HEY!!!!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Omega Supreme View Post
                        What you guys think?
                        i think i heard that some morons from a website got sued by mickey d's for using the name "McDojo", so this guy should watch out for that litigious clown.
                        "Face punches are an essential character building part of a martial art. You don't truly love your children unless you allow them to get punched in the face." - chi-conspiricy
                        "When I was a little boy, I had a sailor suit, but it didn't mean I was in the Navy." - Mtripp on the subject of a 5 year old karate black belt
                        "Without actual qualifications to be a Zen teacher, your instructor is just another roundeye raping Asian culture for a buck." - Errant108
                        "Seriously, who gives a fuck what you or Errant think? You're Asian males, everyone just ignores you, unless you're in a krotty movie." - new2bjj

Comment

Originally posted by Bneterasedmynam View Post

Comment

Guam makes you register as a black belt. I want to get it for the lolz...... but I am scared It would become exhibit A if shit goes sideways.

Comment

I mean, the place where warriors go AFTER THEY DIE ?

wtf...
                              Falling for Judo since 1980

"You are wrong. Why? Because you move like a pregnant yak and talk like a spazzing 'I train UFC' noob." -DCS

"The best part of getting you worked up is your backpack full of irony and lies." -It Is Fake

"Banning BKR is like kicking a Quokka. It's foolishness of the first order." - Raycetpfl

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                              X