X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Raycetpfl View Post
    Silly blue belt....... ;-)

Teach the RNC.

And when youre choking the dude that said' "Jiu-Jitsu doesn't work." Whisper in his ear, "This is what death feels like."
    When you apply the choke. Pop! Your arms closed.
    It speeds up the process quite a bit.
    The Rickson RNC is great, I love Ty's vids. However, that sequence is probably more complicated than I can teach a bunch of noobs in 5 minutes. Just the straight RNC though would be fun.

Comment

Originally posted by Michael Tzadok View Post
      The Rickson RNC is great, I love Ty's vids. However, that sequence is probably more complicated than I can teach a bunch of noobs in 5 minutes. Just the straight RNC though would be fun.

The RNC works so well most people do it wrong-ish and it still works.

One thing Uriah does here that most miss is he keeps his shoulders even with the person he is choking. It improves the choking geometry dramatically and allows you to control their head with your head. This is one of the best examples on the web of wonderful technique chocking.

Comment

Just going to say that my ability to teach BJJ isn't the reason my coach is having me go through the course. Sure he'll let blue belts who want to do it, but the normal expectation is that they will assist other instructors(you know one of our 3 black belts, 2 brown belts, and 5 purple belts). My unique skill set of wrestling that even impressed Andre Galvao puts me in a different than normal blue belt category. As much as I will assist in the regular BJJ instruction, I will be teaching my own class right away in take downs.
        However, again most take downs require instruction is some basics before you can teach the actual thing. It's the time constraint as much as anything that has me a bit worried.

Comment

Just going to say that my ability to teach BJJ isn't the reason my coach is having me go through the course. Sure he'll let blue belts who want to do it, but the normal expectation is that they will assist other instructors(you know one of our 3 black belts, 2 brown belts, and 5 purple belts). My unique skill set of wrestling that even impressed Andre Galvao puts me in a different than normal blue belt category. As much as I will assist in the regular BJJ instruction, I will be teaching my own class right away in take downs.
          However, again most take downs require instruction is some basics before you can teach the actual thing. It's the time constraint as much as anything that has me a bit worried.
          Oh yeah why not teach the blast double? Easy to learn...... hard to master. Really gett'em parallel with the ground on the lift. Big lifts and throws are always crowd pleasers.

Comment

Oh yeah why not teach the blast double? Easy to learn...... hard to master. Really gett'em parallel with the ground on the lift. Big lifts and throws are always crowd pleasers.
            Karate and KM guys who aren't used to going to the ground. Don't want to break my toys in the first week. Though yeah blast double and snatch singles are also options.

Comment

Just saying, since the statement that cardio can beat an RNC is what started this thread, I am going to go with an RNC, and we'll see if anyone wants demonstrate their excellent cardio. Hopefully there will be at least one taker.

Comment

Yeah, I'm actually drawing a blank as to what to teach next week. I'm torn between a head and arm throw or a basic trap and roll. Funny thing is that at my club the coach can tell me I'm teaching and I'll just jump right in, here though I have no clue what to do.
                I'd suggest you have a plan. Find out how long you will have to teach if you can, and go from there.

You can play it straight and do something like a double leg, or be sly and go with Hadaka Jime (RNC). A standing RNC would be good, especially versus a aikido or ninjer type kamae (stance). That ups your odds of getting to choke a MF out, or at least give them a taste of that congested feeling...

In any case, something that does not depend on the jacket to work would be of most utility in all likelihood.

If it's like the coach training stuff I've done, what they want to see is that you have a plan, and teach the technique safely and progressively, and can deal with common mistakes, etc.
                All without talking too much. Which is what I can almost guarantee the aikido and ninjers will do.

Comment

Originally posted by BKR View Post
                  I'd suggest you have a plan. Find out how long you will have to teach if you can, and go from there.

You can play it straight and do something like a double leg, or be sly and go with Hadaka Jime (RNC). A standing RNC would be good, especially versus a aikido or ninjer type kamae (stance). That ups your odds of getting to choke a MF out, or at least give them a taste of that congested feeling...

In any case, something that does not depend on the jacket to work would be of most utility in all likelihood.

If it's like the coach training stuff I've done, what they want to see is that you have a plan, and teach the technique safely and progressively, and can deal with common mistakes, etc.
                  All without talking too much. Which is what I can almost guarantee the aikido and ninjers will do.
                  Oh, I'll have a plan, and I'll leave my biomechanical explanation of principles at the door. I know no one wants to hear that anyway. Basically I think I'm going to go with with 3 things that I have planned out and choose the one that will best fit the time. Two of the three will include a choke for cardio guys to try and defeat.

Comment

Just the straight RNC though would be fun.
                    Go full Haganah

Comment

Oh, I'll have a plan, and I'll leave my biomechanical explanation of principles at the door. I know no one wants to hear that anyway. Basically I think I'm going to go with with 3 things that I have planned out and choose the one that will best fit the time. Two of the three will include a choke for cardio guys to try and defeat.
                      Darc, RNC, sweep from guard?

Comment

Yeah as GBA went on with his explanation he wasn't even talking about Dan ranks, he was talking about people with more widely divergent skills. Like people separated by several belt ranks. I can do that now with BJJ, and I'm only a two stripe blue belt.
                        yeah, it's about relative skill level, not specific technical requirements of a specific named, martial art/combat sport. body mechanics, fluidity, use of action reaction, etc.

Even with older guys who are injured or cannot perform optimally anymore, you can tell.

Comment

Originally posted by Gumby View Post
                          Steve Maxwell is a pimp. I used to LOVE his self defense classes. It was a shame more students didn't actually enjoy it. Those with practical purposes did (law enforcement, etc) but most people wanted to work on their guard passes and sweeps and whatever.
                          That's funny, because the BJJ classes I absolutely enjoy the most are the self-defense classes. I mean, I could do that shit all night, every night versus one more complicated De La Riva guard pass, cause even white belts do De La Riva now...

I certainly appreciate the intricacies of action-reaction sequences, and control, and contingencies, but the simplicity of escaping a headlock (front or side) is a lot more satisfying for some reason.

Yeah, guys who have to actually put hands on real violent people appreciate practical stuff, for sure.

Comment

Actually 5 minutes may be just enough time to teach a proper RNC. Just the choking part.
                            Perfection is the enemy of good...they are going to want to see your process, not expect anybody to be proficient in 5 minutes.

Well, maybe the ninjers will think that...

Comment

This thread was so much fun to read...

Seriously if someone lasted 4 minutes in an RNC it means the person choking them really didn't know what they were doing.

Comment

There are a couple of things that kill combatives classes.

1) Boredom. The basic self defense against an untrained opponent gets old after a while. Not that it isn't good to learn, but most people only have so much patience for constant review of the same basics. Combat Sambo guys figured this out back in the 90's.
                                2) Liveleaks. A lot of self defense training relies on archaic and theoretical weapons defenses. People look on live leaks, see that stuff doesn't work then think the entire system is BS. As far as the unarmed stuff, people started realizing that no self defense program was going to make them Jason Bourne.
                                3) Closely related to live leaks is the development of modern training modalities such as shock knives and simunitions that help people experience first hand the ineffectiveness of their weapons defense without having to experience the dying part.
                                4) The rise of MMA: It helped people realize that to be truly proficient at fighting they need to be a fairly well rounded martial artist.

All of that together means yeah, people want to start working on guard passes and things sweeps and things, because once they got the combatives down, that is the logical next step in the system.
                                I see your point, but combatives can go on and on just like sport-based stuff. They are of course, in general, complimentary.

More and more resistance in combatives, working with different body types and strength levels, etc.

In the long run, though, I think that sports training is of course, more popular, because of as you suggest, the variety of movements available, and the "free-rolling" aspects which are entertaining and interesting.

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                                X