X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NeilG
    replied
    Originally posted by Michael Tzadok View Post
    In sport you can't decide you want to try with the world champion team and the do it. In martial art you can.
    I have no idea what you are smoking. Try going to Keishicho (Tokyo metropolitan police) and getting into the top-tier judo or kendo practice there. Let me know how you get on.

Leave a comment:

• Michael Tzadok
    replied
    Originally posted by Gumby View Post
    Michael- how long has it been since you've been stateside- in particular the tri state area?
    Tri-State area, six or seven years. Even that was just a weekend type thing. Took the kids to some of the old museums and stuff that I loved when I was their age.

Leave a comment:

• Gumby
    replied
    Michael- how long has it been since you've been stateside- in particular the tri state area?

Leave a comment:

• BKR
    replied
    Originally posted by lant3rn View Post
    Sports are fun... there is no fun aloud in martial arts... it's very serious. all the time... you over there stop smiling.

I don't get the difference between general fitness and fitness... what does the word general change about fitness?
    General fitness versus sport-specific Fitness I would imagine something got lost in translation.

Leave a comment:

• lant3rn
    replied
    So you are saying you can't go play with Canadian National Team just because you want to? That you actually have to try out for those and only get to join if you make the cut?

Yet you don't see how that is different from martial are where can litterally just walk in and join the world championship club tomorrow?

Haven't had a chance to travel to the US and spend all day training BJJ.
    I could join a Tennis club that does, or a fencing team as well... there is a different culture for sports or competitions that involve teams vs individuals...

Regardless if you want to call it a Martial Art or a Sport the difference is superficial they both involve honing athletic feats to an art form.. just usually martial arts revolve more around violence.

Leave a comment:

• Michael Tzadok
    replied
    Yes, but i believe that is more of a cultural issue more than anything else... i mean FC London is under 23 so im much too old for that... but i could go to the Maple Leafs Open Combine... and not make the team of Try out for one our CFL teams...

Congratulations on your open invite.. why haven't you taken him up on it?
    So you are saying you can't go play with Canadian National Team just because you want to? That you actually have to try out for those and only get to join if you make the cut?

Yet you don't see how that is different from martial are where can litterally just walk in and join the world championship club tomorrow?

Haven't had a chance to travel to the US and spend all day training BJJ.

Leave a comment:

• lant3rn
    replied
    Go try to join FC London and tell me how that goes. Whereas I having a standing invite from Andre Galvao to come train at Atos HQ in San Diego. For that matter anyone who wants to train there can.

In sport you can't decide you want to try with the world champion team and the do it. In martial art you can.
    Yes, but i believe that is more of a cultural issue more than anything else... i mean FC London is under 23 so im much too old for that... but i could go to the Maple Leafs Open Combine... and not make the team of Try out for one our CFL teams...

Congratulations on your open invite.. why haven't you taken him up on it?

I believe what your getting at is also a matter of skill and drive.. if you have those there is no reason at age 35 who couldn't get a contract in the MLB... not all people have the drive or skill to be champion... i currently train at a gym with competitive people... people with UFC fight records... i could also get tennis lessons from a former pro too... these competitions based on individual just have a different dynamic and culture.
    Last edited by lant3rn; 6/17/2018 1:14pm, .

Leave a comment:

• Michael Tzadok
    replied
    There are people here where i live who do take up sports later in life... i know more than a few.. who join rec teams. And they do get better with more practise. Heck i even took up volleyball 2 winters ago... i had no idea what to do when i started.. now i'm getting a better grasp.
    Go try to join FC London and tell me how that goes. Whereas I having a standing invite from Andre Galvao to come train at Atos HQ in San Diego. For that matter anyone who wants to train there can.

Leave a comment:

• ermghoti
    replied
    1) Draw the family tree of your school, from you and above, your teachers, teacher's teachers and so on
    1. Scant historical references to disparate groups of military infiltrators and guerilla combatants.
    2. Japanese stagehands that wore all black, and were presumed by audiences to represent unseeable forces.
    3. Hundreds of years pass.
    4. Some Japanese huckster.
    5.Some Western huckster.

--an honest ninja

Leave a comment:

• lant3rn
    replied
    If you say the original post, you would know TKD falls into a middle ground, so I'll leave that one aside.

Right, you played hockey, you played soccer and you played football.

Find me anyone in those sports that is still playing after they are above 50. Show me anyone who takes them up at 40. Now look up the number of BJJ Coral belts listed by the IBJJF(all of whom are over 50). That should give you a pretty good understanding of the difference between sport and martial art. I can show you people that take up martial arts, even effective ones like BJJ in their 80's.
    There are people here where i live who do take up sports later in life... i know more than a few.. who join rec teams. And they do get better with more practise. Heck i even took up volleyball 2 winters ago... i had no idea what to do when i started.. now i'm getting a better grasp.

Leave a comment:

• Michael Tzadok
    replied
    Yes i've done both... I played hockey, soccer and football all at competitive levels and was involved in TKD for three years... sports were more relaxed atmosphere and TKD was more formal... Muay thai training is Thailand is actually a lot more laid back and fun compared to classes here in North America. BJJ class is actually a nice mix between the two.
    If you say the original post, you would know TKD falls into a middle ground, so I'll leave that one aside.

Right, you played hockey, you played soccer and you played football.

Find me anyone in those sports that is still playing after they are above 50. Show me anyone who takes them up at 40. Now look up the number of BJJ Coral belts listed by the IBJJF(all of whom are over 50). That should give you a pretty good understanding of the difference between sport and martial art. I can show you people that take up martial arts, even effective ones like BJJ in their 80's.

Leave a comment:

• lant3rn
    replied

As far as sport vs MA, see the thread I wrote before. Beyond that, me and two Judokas in the room were the only ones that got it. I guess if you haven't participated in competitive sports and then transitioned to martial arts you wouldn't understand.
    Yes i've done both... I played hockey, soccer and football all at competitive levels and was involved in TKD for three years... sports were more relaxed atmosphere and TKD was more formal... Muay thai training is Thailand is actually a lot more laid back and fun compared to classes here in North America. BJJ class is actually a nice mix between the two.

Leave a comment:

• Michael Tzadok
    replied
    So fitness for a specific skill set between just being in general good health? I guess the difference is in practise and application?

i also think the differences between sports and martial arts are mostly superficial and based a lot on cultural specifics.
    There have been studies on this. Take world class Olympic Athletes. Wrestlers have across the board the highest VO2Max. Yet few could complete a marathon, let alone do it competitively. Likewise world championship marathoners, who literally run sub 5minute miles for 2hrs straight, will gas out in a 6 minute wrestling match. Why? Sport specific fitness. It's why guys like Dan Gable and Marcelo Garcia moved away from road work, it ultimately contributes very little to the sport specific fitness needed, whereas speed drills, short time drills ect, can greatly improve sport specific cardio.

As far as sport vs MA, see the thread I wrote before. Beyond that, me and two Judokas in the room were the only ones that got it. I guess if you haven't participated in competitive sports and then transitioned to martial arts you wouldn't understand.

Leave a comment:

• lant3rn
    replied
    supposed to be sport specific fitness.
    So fitness for a specific skill set between just being in general good health? I guess the difference is in practise and application?

i also think the differences between sports and martial arts are mostly superficial and based a lot on cultural specifics.

Leave a comment:

• Michael Tzadok
    replied
    Sports are fun... there is no fun aloud in martial arts... it's very serious. all the time... you over there stop smiling.

I don't get the difference between general fitness and fitness... what does the word general change about fitness?
    supposed to be sport specific fitness.

Leave a comment:

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
X