X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BKR
    replied
    Originally posted by Michael Tzadok View Post
    On his second attempt he was. He was essentially trying to do some sort of wrist lock around his knee. So like my arm is stretched out in front of his knees, elbow up, and he is trying to bend my palm to touch the outside of his right kneed. I have fairly flexible writs, so that wasn't going to work unless he could pass a 90 degree angle at least, and then he didn't have sufficient control to hold the lock against any sort of concerted attempt to escape.
    The sort of thing can be made to work that require a lot of finesse and control.

I would put my knee on your elbow. The problem is with a well-trained Grappler he's not going to give much window of opportunity to get the position exactly right. Any slack and do you like you did.

And then what do you do even if you got the lock on in the guys pinned down. You'll stop fighting and hope that guy doesn't kick your ass when you let him up?

Leave a comment:

• BKR
    replied
    Depends on what he does at the exam. These practice sessions are so that you can get feed back. How you take that on board will determine how you do on the exam.

Thanks for reminding me that I'm going to have to go through several more hours of Aikido. I'm going to go get fitted for a cyanide tooth now.
    GBA should make you permanent uke for the aikido.

Have all of them and pin you face down and see if they could keep you from getting up.

When you get up they have to successfully defend themselves from being strangled unconscious.

Pass/fail...

Leave a comment:

• Michael Tzadok
    replied
    Originally posted by NeilG View Post
    Was he at least trying to manipulate your wrist? That's the only part of that whole sequence that has any shot of working, IIRC from my brief excursion into Aikido.
    On his second attempt he was. He was essentially trying to do some sort of wrist lock around his knee. So like my arm is stretched out in front of his knees, elbow up, and he is trying to bend my palm to touch the outside of his right kneed. I have fairly flexible writs, so that wasn't going to work unless he could pass a 90 degree angle at least, and then he didn't have sufficient control to hold the lock against any sort of concerted attempt to escape.

Leave a comment:

• Michael Tzadok
    replied
    Originally posted by BKR View Post
    So, aikidoka won't pass the course?
    Depends on what he does at the exam. These practice sessions are so that you can get feed back. How you take that on board will determine how you do on the exam.

Thanks for reminding me that I'm going to have to go through several more hours of Aikido. I'm going to go get fitted for a cyanide tooth now.

Leave a comment:

• NeilG
    replied
    He did this odd thing wherein, we started with arms crossed at the wrists between us on the level with our faces. He then grabs my wrist with the hand that is already extended and in contact with my arm.(Right hand grabs right wrist). He bends my arm up and out and grabs my triceps with his left hand and then expects to be able to drive me down on my belly by means of a single step and the power of his magic pants. There is precisely zero leverage that can cause me to do anything other than maybe a single compensation step.
    Was he at least trying to manipulate your wrist? That's the only part of that whole sequence that has any shot of working, IIRC from my brief excursion into Aikido.

Leave a comment:

• BKR
    replied
    So today started off with 3.5 hours of Aikido by a slew of Aikido black belts of varying dan ranks. This experience has left me horribly disillusioned with Bullshido.net. You all have over stated Aikido's effectiveness by at least 1000%. I can only guess that a number of you are being paid by Steven Seagal to bolster Aikido's reputation.

So the first Aikidoka who, down to the orange shooting glasses, has modeled himself on Mr. Segall(excepting that he is bald) was the first up for his teaching trial. He also has(or maybe had) a low view of BJJ. So he called on me to be his demo dummy. He did this odd thing wherein, we started with arms crossed at the wrists between us on the level with our faces. He then grabs my wrist with the hand that is already extended and in contact with my arm.(Right hand grabs right wrist). He bends my arm up and out and grabs my triceps with his left hand and then expects to be able to drive me down on my belly by means of a single step and the power of his magic pants. There is precisely zero leverage that can cause me to do anything other than maybe a single compensation step.

When I don't immediately face plant Israeli Bald Segall (IBS from now on ) tells me to stop resisting. When I stare at him with a confused expression he exasperatedly explains I'm supposed to face plant. So now knowing what he wants I obligingly lay down for him. He then kneels down on the mat with his knees behind and touching my arm, and his hands pinning it to the mat. At this point I am super confused as to what is supposed to be going on.

He then tells me to tap when I start to feel pain, and starts pressing down on my triceps. My 10yr old daughter was putting more pressure on me just last night at our BJJ club's picnic, so I just laid there and waited. He made several adjustments and kept pressing, no tap. IBS then tells me not to risk my elbow, and to be sure to tap as soon as I feel pain.

Now I'm on some pain meds for a couple of injuries I'm nursing, nothing serious, but I'm also on some perscription allergy meds, and the two interact every now and again and make me high AF, this was one of those times so I blame my snark on that.

I this told IBS that my right elbow is pretty tender from being worked over from a couple overly zealous arm bars in the last few days, so if it comes anywhere near hyper extension I'll tap, or yell which ever will end the pain first. The whole class hears this and GBA snorts. So he readjusts and tries again. Still no tap.

IBS is getting obviously frustrated. He then says:

Now I'm laying there thinking this guy has to be higher than I am to be spouting that kind of BS. When he says:

Proving that I was high I hesitated and asked "Are you serious?". He makes some sort of pfft noise and looks incredulous that I would ask such a thing. I look to GBA for guidance. GBA says:

So I rotate my pinned arm, shrimp out, fire the knee shiled in, use that has leverage to get my arm free(he wasn't even gripping the go) then essentially roll up into a sitting position behind him, simultaneously throw in hooks and a RNC. Waited for a tap that never came. GBA then says, "He's out, let him go.". So I do.

IBS comes to, tries to convince the class that he forgot some minor but important detail, goes through the "take down" again, spends the next 45 seconds fiddling with my arm, then says he is sure this is correct and that I should try again. I do essentially the exact same thing as before. GBA shouts "tap" as soon as I lock in the choke and so IBS doesn't take a second nap.

IBS then says it is only because I'm so strong that I was able to do that. Now for this class we had another BJJ player join. She is a young 15yr old Green Belt(will be 16 and a blue belt before the course ends). She is also on the Israel national team and won JJIF and IBJJF gold this past winter in her age and weight class(that was what she was doing instead of finishing the winter term of this course). She weighs 52KG in gi and in no way could be considered big or strong in relation to IBS. I'll call her Renzo Gracie Girl(RGG). RGG raises her hand and says:

GBA agrees and so he has the class break up into pairs and practice. GBA allows that to go on for a few minutes, and then sees that IBS is just going around to the other Aikidokas and was ignoring the rest of the class, and calls a halt for the critique.

His first critique was that one should not offer challenges or demos that one is not sure he can pull off. This is where Aikido really got creepy. Every single one of them started simultaneously arguing with GBA and defending their fellow Aikidoka. That went on with every criticiam of every Aikidoka. It was insane.
    So, aikidoka won't pass the course?

Leave a comment:

• BJMills
    replied
    Michael you’re wrong about aikido bring overrated in this site. It’s the best source of comedy this side of a fat chunner. And you really can’t make up the kind of gold posts like your last one convey.

Leave a comment:

• scipio
    replied
    So today started off with 3.5 hours of Aikido by a slew of Aikido black belts of varying dan ranks. This experience has left me horribly disillusioned with Bullshido.net. You all have over stated Aikido's effectiveness by at least 1000%. I can only guess that a number of you are being paid by Steven Seagal to bolster Aikido's reputation.

So the first Aikidoka who, down to the orange shooting glasses, has modeled himself on Mr. Segall(excepting that he is bald) was the first up for his teaching trial. He also has(or maybe had) a low view of BJJ. So he called on me to be his demo dummy. He did this odd thing wherein, we started with arms crossed at the wrists between us on the level with our faces. He then grabs my wrist with the hand that is already extended and in contact with my arm.(Right hand grabs right wrist). He bends my arm up and out and grabs my triceps with his left hand and then expects to be able to drive me down on my belly by means of a single step and the power of his magic pants. There is precisely zero leverage that can cause me to do anything other than maybe a single compensation step.

When I don't immediately face plant Israeli Bald Segall (IBS from now on ) tells me to stop resisting. When I stare at him with a confused expression he exasperatedly explains I'm supposed to face plant. So now knowing what he wants I obligingly lay down for him. He then kneels down on the mat with his knees behind and touching my arm, and his hands pinning it to the mat. At this point I am super confused as to what is supposed to be going on.

He then tells me to tap when I start to feel pain, and starts pressing down on my triceps. My 10yr old daughter was putting more pressure on me just last night at our BJJ club's picnic, so I just laid there and waited. He made several adjustments and kept pressing, no tap. IBS then tells me not to risk my elbow, and to be sure to tap as soon as I feel pain.

Now I'm on some pain meds for a couple of injuries I'm nursing, nothing serious, but I'm also on some perscription allergy meds, and the two interact every now and again and make me high AF, this was one of those times so I blame my snark on that.

I this told IBS that my right elbow is pretty tender from being worked over from a couple overly zealous arm bars in the last few days, so if it comes anywhere near hyper extension I'll tap, or yell which ever will end the pain first. The whole class hears this and GBA snorts. So he readjusts and tries again. Still no tap.

Now I'm laying there thinking this guy has to be higher than I am to be spouting that kind of BS. When he says:

Proving that I was high I hesitated and asked "Are you serious?". He makes some sort of pfft noise and looks incredulous that I would ask such a thing. I look to GBA for guidance. GBA says:

So I rotate my pinned arm, shrimp out, fire the knee shiled in, use that has leverage to get my arm free(he wasn't even gripping the go) then essentially roll up into a sitting position behind him, simultaneously throw in hooks and a RNC. Waited for a tap that never came. GBA then says, "He's out, let him go.". So I do.

IBS comes to, tries to convince the class that he forgot some minor but important detail, goes through the "take down" again, spends the next 45 seconds fiddling with my arm, then says he is sure this is correct and that I should try again. I do essentially the exact same thing as before. GBA shouts "tap" as soon as I lock in the choke and so IBS doesn't take a second nap.

IBS then says it is only because I'm so strong that I was able to do that. Now for this class we had another BJJ player join. She is a young 15yr old Green Belt(will be 16 and a blue belt before the course ends). She is also on the Israel national team and won JJIF and IBJJF gold this past winter in her age and weight class(that was what she was doing instead of finishing the winter term of this course). She weighs 52KG in gi and in no way could be considered big or strong in relation to IBS. I'll call her Renzo Gracie Girl(RGG). RGG raises her hand and says:

GBA agrees and so he has the class break up into pairs and practice. GBA allows that to go on for a few minutes, and then sees that IBS is just going around to the other Aikidokas and was ignoring the rest of the class, and calls a halt for the critique.

His first critique was that one should not offer challenges or demos that one is not sure he can pull off. This is where Aikido really got creepy. Every single one of them started simultaneously arguing with GBA and defending their fellow Aikidoka. That went on with every criticiam of every Aikidoka. It was insane.
    My first martial art was Aikido - this kind of blind arrogance in the face of the facts that it doesn't work drove me nuts. What a bunch of douche bags.

You have put a big smile on my face

Leave a comment:

• Michael Tzadok
    replied

Even if he doesn't tap, from this position I have him immobilized, and he cannot attack me.
    I want you to try to attack me
    What are you waiting for, he is the Sensei, he told you to attack him. Follow his instructions.

I have no doubt that I can do what he just did, but faster, maybe you should just get on with your lesson.

Leave a comment:

• ermghoti
    replied
    Choked out an Aikidoka, details to follow when I have more time. These guys have seriously drunk the Kool-Aid.
    "I was rendered unconscious by your choke, meaning you have done me harm. Since the practice of martial arts is for the harmonious mutual benefit of both practitioners, I am therefore the victor!"

Maybe next year, they'll include Get Choked Out by a Rabbi in the curriculum specifically.

Leave a comment:

• scipio
    replied
    Choked out an Aikidoka, details to follow when I have more time. These guys have seriously drunk the Kool-Aid.
    This is becoming my favourite thread.....

Leave a comment:

• Michael Tzadok
    replied

Leave a comment:

• BJMills
    replied
    I'm pretty sure that GN qualifies as denial of reality.

Yes, I just didn't see JKN being the one to come along on the rational side of things to be honest. I feel kinda bad for making fun of him now. I'm glad he had the ability to see through the BS he was being fed, but honestly of all the people he was the one I would have voted least likely to see reality.

TKD is an international sport. They still move kids along at a quick clip to black belt mostly for self-esteem reasons. People from other systems really don't get the BJJ ranking system, and in my opinion that is OK. I just need to make the right noises for the tests to get through this.
    One thing I was going to add, but then completely forgot about...

yeah if either of the ninjers was to come around I had naturally assumed it would be GN and JKN would be the one trying to talk him back into fantasy land. For it to be the other way around definitely caught me by surprise.

Leave a comment:

• lant3rn
    replied
    Originally posted by Raycetpfl View Post
    Well yeah, but she gave the money back plus a tip.....
    Be honest... it was just the tip.

Leave a comment:

• Raycetpfl
    replied
    Well yeah, but she gave the money back plus a tip.....

Leave a comment:

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
X