Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Cardio beats a RNC

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    #46
    Originally posted by Ulsteryank View Post
    Nice one, but that's no Marine. Whoever made the vid caption doesn't know the difference in uniform.
    Airman

    Comment


      #47
      Originally posted by NeilG View Post
      I have seen guys that are just plain hard to choke. Got nothing to do with cardio, more neck structure/musculature.
      I am very hard to choke for newbies. I used to do a lot of neck strenghtening exercises (that probably crushed my disks and did me horrible damage which is why I can barely walks nowadays), like doing lots of bridging supported on the head and not the arms. I would also do tensioning of the front neck so that you can not seize my adam's apple easily and can take moderate strikes to the neck. When the newbies try to do chokes I just let them wear themselves out.

      Then the higher colored belts do it and I tap quickly. The inexperienced just do not do the chokes correctly and that is why I can do the iron man bs.

      Comment


        #48
        Originally posted by Michael Tzadok View Post
        The ministry of sport, however, has decided that a BJJ blue belt is equal to a black belt in other martial arts.
        Sounds like a conservative equivalence. The last two guys I saw get a black belt in karate could not beat a two-stripe white in BJJ. Maybe not even a one-stripe white.

        Comment


          #49
          I think it was back in the early 90s that I met at Uni some guy who was a brown belt at a local school and was interested in sparring. I dropped him to his knees and put a hadaka jime on him.
          The guy started flailing and saying that it was over, that he quit. I told him it was training and that I would not choke him, that he had to try to get out, or throw me over. He would not even try even as I told him how exactly to do it.

          This was not the only such incident I had.

          There is, IMO, a basic aversion in many striking practitioners, even if not fully mcdojoist, to any actual close-quarters contact during sparring or training. Some kind of phobia about being grabbed and controlled. And they are willing to believe any BS mumbo jumbo that tells them they can keep a fight away from that uncomfortable close-up range.

          Comment


            #50
            Originally posted by ksennin View Post
            Sounds like a conservative equivalence. The last two guys I saw get a black belt in karate could not beat a two-stripe white in BJJ. Maybe not even a one-stripe white.
            The "equivalence" is in the definitions of blue BJJ and most other black belts. Either confers recognition that the awardee has a working knowledge of the basics of his art, and is competent to assist in instruction. Now, that could apply to knowledge of a useful art, or strip mall grabassery, but that's a separate issue.

            Comment


              #51
              I demand an update to this gloriously amusing thread.

              Comment


                #52
                Originally posted by Shawarma View Post
                I demand an update to this gloriously amusing thread.
                No update yet, as we are still are in the theoretical portion and haven't gotten to the practical. The anatomy instructor has stopped talking trash on BJJ/GJJ. Though the other students have taken up the cause.

                The skinny 30yr old virgin Booj guy was going off today on how GJJ/BJJ is just a weak watered down version of Nin Jutsu and was trying to prove it via Japanese.

                The head instructor who is a legit red belt in Mas Oyama lineage and a 4th Dan Judoka, looked at the guy and said, "That's a big strong Jujitsueira sitting there, I sure hope you can back all that up when we get to the practical.". The Ninja went 5 shades paler then he already was.

                Comment


                  #53
                  Originally posted by ermghoti View Post
                  The "equivalence" is in the definitions of blue BJJ and most other black belts. Either confers recognition that the awardee has a working knowledge of the basics of his art, and is competent to assist in instruction. Now, that could apply to knowledge of a useful art, or strip mall grabassery, but that's a separate issue.
                  Fair enough. Don't mind me much, I am just being whiny again because I had to assist at a crappy BB test.

                  Comment


                    #54
                    Originally posted by Michael Tzadok View Post
                    No update yet, as we are still are in the theoretical portion and haven't gotten to the practical. The anatomy instructor has stopped talking trash on BJJ/GJJ. Though the other students have taken up the cause.

                    The skinny 30yr old virgin Booj guy was going off today on how GJJ/BJJ is just a weak watered down version of Nin Jutsu and was trying to prove it via Japanese.

                    The head instructor who is a legit red belt in Mas Oyama lineage and a 4th Dan Judoka, looked at the guy and said, "That's a big strong Jujitsueira sitting there, I sure hope you can back all that up when we get to the practical.". The Ninja went 5 shades paler then he already was.

                    Comment


                      #55
                      Stay tuned, updates will be incoming today. There has been some hilarity.

                      Comment


                        #56
                        Ok so today we are going to talk about two guys, Geeky Ninja(GN from now on) and John Kreese Ninja(JKN hence forth). When we last met GN he got shot down by his love interest and possibly deficated his pants at the the thought of newaza with a genuine BJJ player.

                        Today we started instructor philosophy, theoretical methodology and liability. So instead of being in rows we formed a circle. GN(who is Booj) backed up by his new best JKN(who is some obscure branch of Koga) decided to renew his suduction attempts and plopped down next to his love interest. In walks the chief instructor and instructor for this part(Kyokushin Red Belt, 4th Dan Judoka, black belt of varying degrees in a few other arts of varying effectiveness, and genuine badass, hereafter GBA). He sees the situation and manuevers a seat between the two. GN proceeds to pout for the next hour and a half.

                        At this point GBA starts talking about various responsibilities of an instructor, and comes around to honest marketing. He says something along the lines of if you don't have live sparring and go full contact occasionally, you can't genuinely claim to be effective in those sorts of things. GN takes issue with this, and begins to argue about how you can be completely effective even if never pressure tested. This argument goes on for about 15 min until GBA stands up and tells him to stand. GBA then says, "I want you to punch me in the face, don't worry, I won't hurt you, just tap you with my fingers at most". GBA doesn't even bother to put his hands up.
                        GN takes his first swing.
                        GBA moves faster than any 65ish year old man should legally be allowed to, lets out a yell, and when he stops has is fist about a quarter inch from GN's chin in a nice upper cut that I am fair certain would have knocked GN spark out.
                        GBA takes a step back and says try again. GN takes another swing, GBA again slips it, this time dancing around behind GN and slaps him on the back of the head. For the next five minutes until GN concedes that he can't even come close to threatening to make contact with an old man in near tears GBA just keeps dancing behind him at every attempt and slapping him in the back of the head.
                        Finally GN concedes that having never had alive training he doesn't even have the footwork necessary to keep his opponent in front of him, and so concedes the point about honesty in marketing.

                        Fast forward a couple of hours we are talking about legal liability. GBA is telling us about a Kyokushin tourney. He explains how at certain ages certain blows are illegal, namely in the 8yr old division you can't strike to the face or kick a downed opponent. First offense is a warning, second is point, third is a DQ, but if you get hit illegally and can't continue it is a forfeit.

                        In the 8yr old division one kid is losing his fight. His parents shout "kill him, put him in the ground, do what you have to". So losing kid elbows the other in the face shattering his nose, then kicks him in the head when he is down, necessitating him being airlifted to a hospital.

                        Broke face kid's parents sue the other kid's instructor, instructor argues that it was the parents who said it and not him, kid will do what his parents say over instructor instructions. Judge agrees awards them 4mil shekel from the unsportsmanlike parents. GBA then tells us that we have to be careful what kind of language we use as we can be held liable.

                        JKN then asks if it OK to whisper it to his students.

                        GBA: "Are you serious?"

                        JKN: "My art is ninjutsu, our philosophy is to win by any means necessary, so of course I'm serious. If I whisper it to my competitors how will anyone know to hold me liable?"

                        GBA's eyes nearly bug out of his head, and asks him if he is seriously that messed up in the head.(Not his exact words, I was too in shock and trying not to laugh to remember exact words, there may have been some stronger language in there).

                        JKN just sits there straight faced not realizing that he may have just failed the course.

                        At which point me and a number of other class members are sitting there wondering WTF is wrong with ninjas.
                        Last edited by Michael Tzadok; 5/25/2018 6:41am, .

                        Comment


                          #57
                          Originally posted by Michael Tzadok View Post
                          At which point me and a number of other class members are sitting there wondering WTF is wrong with ninjas.
                          So there was some value to this training after all.

                          Comment


                            #58
                            Originally posted by ermghoti View Post
                            So there was some value to this training after all.
                            Honestly today's class was pretty much pure gold.

                            The philosophy and teaching theory was all solid stuff. I expected it to be though.

                            The liability and legal stuff was all really great to.

                            It has become pretty clear that the head instructor didn't know all of the stuff that was being taught in the anatomy and physiology class, and it has become pretty clear that he isn't overly pleased with everything that went down there.

                            Comment


                              #59
                              Originally posted by Michael Tzadok View Post
                              Ok so today we are going to talk about two guys, Geeky Ninja(GN from now on) and John Kreese Ninja(JKN hence forth). When we last met GN he got shot down by his love interest and possibly deficated his pants at the the thought of newaza with a genuine BJJ player.

                              Today we started instructor philosophy, theoretical methodology and liability. So instead of being in rows we formed a circle. GN(who is Booj) backed up by his new best JKN(who is some obscure branch of Koga) decided to renew his suduction attempts and plopped down next to his love interest. In walks the chief instructor and instructor for this part(Kyokushin Red Belt, 4th Dan Judoka, black belt of varying degrees in a few other arts of varying effectiveness, and genuine badass, hereafter GBA). He sees the situation and manuevers a seat between the two. GN proceeds to pout for the next hour and a half.

                              At this point GBA starts talking about various responsibilities of an instructor, and comes around to honest marketing. He says something along the lines of if you don't have live sparring and go full contact occasionally, you can't genuinely claim to be effective in those sorts of things. GN takes issue with this, and begins to argue about how you can be completely effective even if never pressure tested. This argument goes on for about 15 min until GBA stands up and tells him to stand. GBA then says, "I want you to punch me in the face, don't worry, I won't hurt you, just tap you with my fingers at most". GBA doesn't even bother to put his hands up.
                              GN takes his first swing.
                              GBA moves faster than any 65ish year old man should legally be allowed to, lets out a yell, and when he stops has is fist about a quarter inch from GN's chin in a nice upper cut that I am fair certain would have knocked GN spark out.
                              GBA takes a step back and says try again. GN takes another swing, GBA again slips it, this time dancing around behind GN and slaps him on the back of the head. For the next five minutes until GN concedes that he can't even come close to threatening to make contact with an old man in near tears GBA just keeps dancing behind him at every attempt and slapping him in the back of the head.
                              Finally GN concedes that having never had alive training he doesn't even have the footwork necessary to keep his opponent in front of him, and so concedes the point about honesty in marketing.

                              Fast forward a couple of hours we are talking about legal liability. GBA is telling us about a Kyokushin tourney. He explains how at certain ages certain blows are illegal, namely in the 8yr old division you can't strike to the face or kick a downed opponent. First offense is a warning, second is point, third is a DQ, but if you get hit illegally and can't continue it is a forfeit.

                              In the 8yr old division one kid is losing his fight. His parents shout "kill him, put him in the ground, do what you have to". So losing kid elbows the other in the face shattering his nose, then kicks him in the head when he is down, necessitating him being airlifted to a hospital.

                              Broke face kid's parents sue the other kid's instructor, instructor argues that it was the parents who said it and not him, kid will do what his parents say over instructor instructions. Judge agrees awards them 4mil shekel from the unsportsmanlike parents. GBA then tells us that we have to be careful what kind of language we use as we can be held liable.

                              JKN then asks if it OK to whisper it to his students.

                              GBA: "Are you serious?"

                              JKN: "My art is ninjutsu, our philosophy is to win by any means necessary, so of course I'm serious. If I whisper it to my competitors how will anyone know to hold me liable?"

                              GBA's eyes nearly bug out of his head, and asks him if he is seriously that messed up in the head.(Not his exact words, I was too in shock and trying not to laugh to remember exact words, there may have been some stronger language in there).

                              JKN just sits there straight faced not realizing that he may have just failed the course.

                              At which point me and a number of other class members are sitting there wondering WTF is wrong with ninjas.
                              You just can't make this s*** up.

                              I'm looking forward to more hilarity I'm sure it will ensue.

                              Comment


                                #60
                                Originally posted by BKR View Post
                                You just can't make this s*** up.

                                I'm looking forward to more hilarity I'm sure it will ensue.
                                I've got so many good moments from today's class, mostly people arguing with the instructor about various things. It was quite entertaining. I was typing this out on my phone on the bus ride home, so I chose the two best bits. Honestly aside from the things that actually dealt with legalities, most of what we "learned" today could be considered common sense, and would be obvious to anyone who was a regular reader of this forum, especially the more serious sections. It was still fairly solid information and I never really mind reviewing fundamentals, because you can always find something new in it.

                                However, I was amazed at the number of people who didn't get basic ideas, like the majority of your class should be able to comprehend what you are teaching them and why. If they don't understand why you are teaching it to them, you as the instructor should be able to explain it. There were some Aikido guys that took exception to that in a mind boggling bit of funny. I'm just not sure it would translate well to a forum. It may be one of those things where you had to be there for it to really be funny.

                                Comment

                                Collapse

                                Edit this module to specify a template to display.

                                Working...
                                X