X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks for the saga Michael

Comment

I joke with people that I like BJJ because I'm lazy and I get to lay around the whole time. I didn't actually expect someone to take it seriously.

Comment

The best I can do in thanks for this whole thread, at this time, is to sticky it. So, stickied. Congrats on getting outcertified with your wits intact, and thanks for sharing.
        Consider for a moment that there is no meme about brown-haired, brown-eyed step children.

Comment

Today's entry goes into the "Only In Israel" category.

Today I was supposed to take the final tests for the instructor course(the written tests). However, in order to complete the course and get your certificate you need to have completed a "28 hour" first aid course. Which was supposed to be finished up yesterday. However, yesterday when I showed up to finish the first aid course I was informed that it would be 2 full days instead of 1. As in 7am to 4pm full days. So right away I got on the phone with GBA and told him my issue, he told me not to worry about it, and slotted me in for Monday to finish those tests.

Now a major part of this course was an online monitored distance learning thing with tests and all that. Then to prove that the person that did all that online work was actually you take a written test as soon as you show up. Actually let me back up. First thing that happens is that I show up to the Jerusalem MDA center, which is huge. Walk in to the receptionist and tell her that I'm there for the 28hr first aid course. She looks at me like I just grew a second head, and asks me what I'm looking for. So thinking that maybe, Hebrew being my second language, there was simply a communication hiccough I pull out my papers and show them to her. She reads them over, and says that she has no idea, but if something like that were happening it would be on the next floor up, and she waves vaguely in a direction in which I eventually find a set of stairs.

Hike up to the second floor and find it to be mostly deserted. Start wondering around pulling on doors and finally find a hallway, wherein I find some other MDA employees. I get the same thing as with the receptionist, but they send me to the third floor. On the third floor, I find a Paramedic who asks me if it is the course wherein I do distance learning. I answer yes, and he tells me to go to the big hall. So we get there, sign in(yeah he has no master list of who is supposed to be there). We take the written test. My first thought from that was, holy shit this was way harder than any test I've taken in this course until now.

After the test, he lays out the schedule which now suddenly includes 2 days instead of 1. At this point I mention that maybe I'm in the wrong place, and he assures me that no I'm in the right place. So this is when I get on the phone to GBA. So I actually got a perfect score on the test(yay!!!). Then I go through the 2 days of hands on training and testing. Only at the end of the second day do I have time to sit around and talk with my fellow students. This is when I realize that there is a serious problem.

Israel(the ministry of health) has laid out seven "First Aid" courses. 4hr, 8hr, 28hr, 44hr, EMT-B(60hr), EMT-A and Paramedic. I don't know what the 4 and 8 hr ones are used for. 28hr is for teachers and martial arts instructors. 44hrs is for lifeguards, police and army medics. The rest should be somewhat self explanatory. So, as it turns out, I wasn't in the 28hr course. I was in the 44hr course. Yep that is right, I am fully tested and checked out on a 44hr course including how to intubate people, stabilize spinal injuries ect. I'm really not sure how this is going to play out. Theoretically speaking I shouldn't have been able to pass the material without doing the distance learning. However, having been a lifeguard and park ranger in the Boy Scouts and having to do all this training year after year, I had it down.

So I'm curious if I'm going to get a 28 hr certification, 44 hr certification or if MDA is going to try to give me problems. However, seriously where else in the world can a person just show up for an course he's not actually registered for, take it, and pass it? All the more without the physical human instructor ever knowing there is a problem? This is insane.
          Don't rely on theory if your life is at stake.

"But now that you've anointed him as truthsayer, you'll be complicit with what happens when the next Jew comes here and is lambasted by an ultrasecular Rabbi" -W.Rabbit/Pship/Emily Dickinson/Earth Dragon/Self Proclaimed Editor Extraordinaire

Comment

Originally posted by Michael Tzadok View Post
            Today's entry goes into the "Only In Israel" category.

Today I was supposed to take the final tests for the instructor course(the written tests). However, in order to complete the course and get your certificate you need to have completed a "28 hour" first aid course. Which was supposed to be finished up yesterday. However, yesterday when I showed up to finish the first aid course I was informed that it would be 2 full days instead of 1. As in 7am to 4pm full days. So right away I got on the phone with GBA and told him my issue, he told me not to worry about it, and slotted me in for Monday to finish those tests.

Now a major part of this course was an online monitored distance learning thing with tests and all that. Then to prove that the person that did all that online work was actually you take a written test as soon as you show up. Actually let me back up. First thing that happens is that I show up to the Jerusalem MDA center, which is huge. Walk in to the receptionist and tell her that I'm there for the 28hr first aid course. She looks at me like I just grew a second head, and asks me what I'm looking for. So thinking that maybe, Hebrew being my second language, there was simply a communication hiccough I pull out my papers and show them to her. She reads them over, and says that she has no idea, but if something like that were happening it would be on the next floor up, and she waves vaguely in a direction in which I eventually find a set of stairs.

Hike up to the second floor and find it to be mostly deserted. Start wondering around pulling on doors and finally find a hallway, wherein I find some other MDA employees. I get the same thing as with the receptionist, but they send me to the third floor. On the third floor, I find a Paramedic who asks me if it is the course wherein I do distance learning. I answer yes, and he tells me to go to the big hall. So we get there, sign in(yeah he has no master list of who is supposed to be there). We take the written test. My first thought from that was, holy shit this was way harder than any test I've taken in this course until now.

After the test, he lays out the schedule which now suddenly includes 2 days instead of 1. At this point I mention that maybe I'm in the wrong place, and he assures me that no I'm in the right place. So this is when I get on the phone to GBA. So I actually got a perfect score on the test(yay!!!). Then I go through the 2 days of hands on training and testing. Only at the end of the second day do I have time to sit around and talk with my fellow students. This is when I realize that there is a serious problem.

Israel(the ministry of health) has laid out seven "First Aid" courses. 4hr, 8hr, 28hr, 44hr, EMT-B(60hr), EMT-A and Paramedic. I don't know what the 4 and 8 hr ones are used for. 28hr is for teachers and martial arts instructors. 44hrs is for lifeguards, police and army medics. The rest should be somewhat self explanatory. So, as it turns out, I wasn't in the 28hr course. I was in the 44hr course. Yep that is right, I am fully tested and checked out on a 44hr course including how to intubate people, stabilize spinal injuries ect. I'm really not sure how this is going to play out. Theoretically speaking I shouldn't have been able to pass the material without doing the distance learning. However, having been a lifeguard and park ranger in the Boy Scouts and having to do all this training year after year, I had it down.

So I'm curious if I'm going to get a 28 hr certification, 44 hr certification or if MDA is going to try to give me problems. However, seriously where else in the world can a person just show up for an course he's not actually registered for, take it, and pass it? All the more without the physical human instructor ever knowing there is a problem? This is insane.
            That's amazing ! Which reminds me, I need to update my 1st aid/cpr training...

Good thing your military and intelligence guys seem to be a bit more organized, LOL!
            Falling for Judo since 1980

"You are wrong. Why? Because you move like a pregnant yak and talk like a spazzing 'I train UFC' noob." -DCS

"The best part of getting you worked up is your backpack full of irony and lies." -It Is Fake

"Banning BKR is like kicking a Quokka. It's foolishness of the first order." - Raycetpfl

Comment

Got my first aid and CPR card in the mail today. Which was a quick turnaround, so with my other exams done, that is me finishing up all the requirements.

Gotta say, on the first aid thing, I feel kinda ripped off. One of my neighbors is something important in MDA, and it turns out the reason I was assigned to the 44 hour class and tests for the in person stuff was because I was the only 28hr person who signed up this go around. So yeah that meant I had to take the 44hr test.

However my certificate is only for 28. Part of me kinda feels like maybe I should have gotten the 44hr one since I did all the more complicated stuff.

"But now that you've anointed him as truthsayer, you'll be complicit with what happens when the next Jew comes here and is lambasted by an ultrasecular Rabbi" -W.Rabbit/Pship/Emily Dickinson/Earth Dragon/Self Proclaimed Editor Extraordinaire

Comment

Got my first aid and CPR card in the mail today. Which was a quick turnaround, so with my other exams done, that is me finishing up all the requirements.

Gotta say, on the first aid thing, I feel kinda ripped off. One of my neighbors is something important in MDA, and it turns out the reason I was assigned to the 44 hour class and tests for the in person stuff was because I was the only 28hr person who signed up this go around. So yeah that meant I had to take the 44hr test.

However my certificate is only for 28. Part of me kinda feels like maybe I should have gotten the 44hr one since I did all the more complicated stuff.
                I feel dumb asking this, but is there no appeal process you can leverage? Or, would you rather just accept it for what it is so you can move on with the actual teaching part?
                Consider for a moment that there is no meme about brown-haired, brown-eyed step children.

Comment

You probably have to take the 28 hour course as a prerequisite for the 44 hour course...
                  Falling for Judo since 1980

"You are wrong. Why? Because you move like a pregnant yak and talk like a spazzing 'I train UFC' noob." -DCS

"The best part of getting you worked up is your backpack full of irony and lies." -It Is Fake

"Banning BKR is like kicking a Quokka. It's foolishness of the first order." - Raycetpfl

Comment

Originally posted by BKR View Post
                    You probably have to take the 28 hour course as a prerequisite for the 44 hour course...
                    No. You just have to pay more money and do 2 months of online learning instead of 1.

Comment

Originally posted by submessenger View Post
                      I feel dumb asking this, but is there no appeal process you can leverage? Or, would you rather just accept it for what it is so you can move on with the actual teaching part?
                      I could probably fight with MDA about it if I really wanted to. However, I don't need a 44hr course(that is more for life guards and such). My paramedic neighbor says that it really doesn't matter. If the EMT's show up and need help, they aren't going to check my card first so long as I appear half competent. So for now I'm not going to worry about it.

Comment

One of the more entertaining and in the end enlightening threads here lately.

+11 on the Bs dial.

Mossad rocks. MDA stumbling in the dark.
                        Carter Hargrave's Jeet Can't Do

http://www.bullshido.net/forums/showthread.php?t=31636

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                        X