This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DCS View Post
    LOL. I'm a black belt in this exact Aikido lineage. What is being performed in that clip are not techniques but exercises. Choking that guy was the right thing to do.
    That makes sense, both the exercise and the choking part.

I mean, little kids don't generally do adult-style Judo, so go figure...

Comment

Well all good things must come to an end, and sadly this thread is winding down. Today is the practical exam, next week is the academic exams. There will definitely be updates today on all the hilarity that will be.

Not gonna lie, I'm a little nervous. Having to give a structured lesson in my second language a mere 30seconds after being told the subject has me a little worried. I also find it more than a bit ironic that with all the stress on planning that we aren't given a chance to plan our test lesson.

Comment

Originally posted by Michael Tzadok View Post
        Well all good things must come to an end, and sadly this thread is winding down. Today is the practical exam, next week is the academic exams. There will definitely be updates today on all the hilarity that will be.

Not gonna lie, I'm a little nervous. Having to give a structured lesson in my second language a mere 30seconds after being told the subject has me a little worried. I also find it more than a bit ironic that with all the stress on planning that we aren't given a chance to plan our test lesson.
        Sounds a bit weird indeed. In Judo instructor's licensing here, the theoretical part is working out a session fitting for the parameters given (age, level, kind of course (popular or competitive), technique, length of course) on several pages, the practical part is parted into a technical test of your ability to demonstrate techniques in general in all kinds of training forms and a coaching test where you have to effectuate the exact plan you worked out on the exact group described in practice.

Guess there are better ways to handle that, even if it is not about a specific art.

Anyways, best of luck. I can feel with you since I had to give lessons in English spontaneously because the head coach was ill, but at least the content was mine to choose then.

Comment

Well I wish I could tell you that I had lots of hilarity to share, but in that respect today was a major let down. The entire Aikido contingent dropped out in protest over the crticisms from last time. I guess they are going to get certified somewhere else.

Three of the five ninjas didn't show. The Wing Chun guy didn't show either. The only other Kung Fu guy was a Shaolin/Sanda guy. So nothing funny there either.

JKN got himself a Gracie Academy subscription and taught a standing headlock defense. He did really well to be honest. I'm proud of him for his conversion.

For much of the morning I was stuck working with GN. Turns out he hasn't learned how to bathe or use deodarant. I mean made my eyes water bad. Put me Kese Gatame and I wanted to tap to the smell bad. Bear in mind I was a wrestler and dealt with guys who would layer sweat suits and not wash them for weeks, and this was worse. Exacerbated by the fact it was over 100degrees F, with 80% humidity and the dojo doesn't have AC.
          GN taught some odd booj kata, talking about how you can break a guy's neck with a chop, and shove the nose into the brain (this despite having taken anatomy class). He didn't pass the practical. He'll apparently get another chance next week. Volunteers are being sought to help those that failed.

The JJJ guy who insists that JJJ is over 2000 years old tried to teach an escape from Kese Gatame. Sadly he literally got all of the mechanics wrong. He wanted us to get to a 90deg angle to the Uke and then sit up. Supposedly that was supposed to give us leverage to do it without the use of any strength. It worked for the people who were overly compliant, for anyone not, it failed. When he saw the class was struggling he decided to demo it again, this time using me.
          So he sat there and struggled to sit up for a while(yeah that wasn't going to happen). He then shouted at me(literally shouted) to stop resisting. I pointed out that I wasn't, in fact I pointed out that I wasn't even doing Kese Gatame correctly as I was sitting on the floor and not putting weight or pressure on him. At that GBA's eyebrows went up.
          JJJ Guy then actually asked me what he was doing wrong, and I explained how the sweep was supposed to go down. He then shouted at me(closer to screeching at me) for not correcting him sooner. GBA put an end to it there. He also didn't pass.

One of the KM guys taught low kicks even after GBA specifically instructed the class not to do kicks that would endanger the knees and that doing so would immediately result in failure. So he failed.

I thought elbow escape from mount. Got dinged because I didn't announce my name and style before I started teaching. Fixed it before I got too far in, so it only cost me 2 pts. Explained how mount was dangerous. Got the guy with the longest reach there, showed how I could pound him in the face, but he couldn't touch me. Then explained how we were going to learn how to escape from said position and then time permitting achieve said position ourselves. I then explained how we had to learn two basic movements first, a basic back bridge and hip shrimp. Taught the back bridge taking special care to make sure everyone knew how to do it without putting pressure on the neck or head. GBA really liked that. Had the class practice that 10 times together. Then taught how to shrimp hips. Had the class line up in three lines to practice hip shrimps. Got about a third of the way through the class before GBA called a halt. Got dinged another 2pts for telling a guy something was "wrong" instead of using positive language. Got a 96 overall, only needed a 70. So I'm golden.

The BJJ greenbelt was called on next. Apparently I had taught what she wanted to. She was offered to either continue where I left off or teach some other position and how to escape it. She got hit with a serious case of nerves and stage fright and wound up not teaching anything. Felt bad for her. GBA let me talk to her privately and try to get her head in the game and even give her some ideas. We went out into the hallway. She broke down crying, now she had a case of embarrassment and teenage angst as well, and there was no way she was going back in there to teach. If she didn't teach she was going to g to get a failure and have to arrange a make up test.

Fortunately her club is only a couple blocks from GBA's dojo. So I managed to negotiate that GBA would go to her club and observe her teaching a class there as her practical. When I came back to her with that news she hit me with a hug that nearly choked me out and I had to peel her off me. Feels good to be someone's hero.

After that a lot more Karate. Totally reliving my TKD youth. Then it was over, way early and I am on my way home.

Comment

Nice update- shame it looks like the thread is coming to an end. Really enjoyed it

Comment

So why is a teenager trying to get a teaching certificate?

Comment

The entire Aikido contingent dropped out in protest over the crticisms from last time. I guess they are going to get certified somewhere else.
                This is humour, yes? There is no where else in the country to get certified?

Comment

Originally posted by Kravbizarre View Post
                  So why is a teenager trying to get a teaching certificate?
                  You mean a 16yr old who is either going to be sand bagging as a blue belt or probably jumped to purple belt(she already competes against and beats adult purple belts) shouldn't be teaching? Personally, I'll leave that decision down to the Renzo Gracie black belt that signed off on her taking the course in the first place.

Though a couple of reasons off the top of my head:
                  Kid's classes. A 16yr old purple belt is totally adequate to teach kids classes and probably has the time to do so.
                  Open mat- Doesn't have to teach anything, but need someone with a certificate to be on the mat for insurance reasons.
                  Hosting Semminars- If Renzo Gracie himself(or world famous black belt of your choice) comes to teach at her club, he can't step on the mat and teach without someone with a teaching certificate from the government there on the mat to oversee him. I went to a Royce Gracie semminar here(Royce is repped by a blue belt in this country, at least in Jerusalem), Royce legally couldn't so much as step on the mat to warm up until said blue belt with the teaching cert was there. Thems is the rules.
                  Free time- It takes a lot of time to get this done, and when better than in the teen years when you have free time without the responsibilities of adulthood?

There are some other reasons, but I think those there are sufficient for the now.

Originally posted by The Cap View Post
                  This is humour, yes? There is no where else in the country to get certified?
                  What that they quit in protest of being criticized on their teaching technique? Nope that is for real. There are other places where one can do the course. I don't think the hours will necessarily transfer though, and as most of those who do it, now do it primarily for financial reason, they will probably have to pay full price again.

Comment

What that they quit in protest of being criticized on their teaching technique? Nope that is for real. There are other places where one can do the course. I don't think the hours will necessarily transfer though, and as most of those who do it, now do it primarily for financial reason, they will probably have to pay full price again.
                    Hmm, alright. I thought they'd shot themselves in the foot and were going to do something desperate like declare the sports ministry unfit to judge them. They better not reflect badly on GBA.

Comment

Originally posted by The Cap View Post
                      Hmm, alright. I thought they'd shot themselves in the foot and were going to do something desperate like declare the sports ministry unfit to judge them. They better not reflect badly on GBA.
                      Nah, they won't reflect badly on GBA. They just did the stupid. He criticizes us all. Some people just got too much ego to listen and learn something. I may not agree with everything GBA says, or I may not be able to implement everything he says in a BJJ club, however, I got enough respect from just seeing him and listening to him for a few weeks, to know that I should listen, pay attention, and at least consider what he says.

Everyone who is currently giving the course originally came up under GBA, as he was the one the Ministry of Sport and Culture originally turned to to formulate the program, and he ran it for over two decades before anyone else ever thought of trying to do it outside of Wingate.
                      If these folks are smart, where ever they go next, they will keep their issues with GBA to themselves. He is pretty universally considered a great teacher. Even folks in BJJ and such who don't do things his way, say he is a great teacher and has great methods, just not everything transfers to BJJ's unique culture.

Comment

Well I wish I could tell you that I had lots of hilarity to share, but in that respect today was a major let down. The entire Aikido contingent dropped out in protest over the crticisms from last time. I guess they are going to get certified somewhere else.

Three of the five ninjas didn't show. The Wing Chun guy didn't show either. The only other Kung Fu guy was a Shaolin/Sanda guy. So nothing funny there either.

JKN got himself a Gracie Academy subscription and taught a standing headlock defense. He did really well to be honest. I'm proud of him for his conversion.

For much of the morning I was stuck working with GN. Turns out he hasn't learned how to bathe or use deodarant. I mean made my eyes water bad. Put me Kese Gatame and I wanted to tap to the smell bad. Bear in mind I was a wrestler and dealt with guys who would layer sweat suits and not wash them for weeks, and this was worse. Exacerbated by the fact it was over 100degrees F, with 80% humidity and the dojo doesn't have AC.
                        GN taught some odd booj kata, talking about how you can break a guy's neck with a chop, and shove the nose into the brain (this despite having taken anatomy class). He didn't pass the practical. He'll apparently get another chance next week. Volunteers are being sought to help those that failed.

The JJJ guy who insists that JJJ is over 2000 years old tried to teach an escape from Kese Gatame. Sadly he literally got all of the mechanics wrong. He wanted us to get to a 90deg angle to the Uke and then sit up. Supposedly that was supposed to give us leverage to do it without the use of any strength. It worked for the people who were overly compliant, for anyone not, it failed. When he saw the class was struggling he decided to demo it again, this time using me.
                        So he sat there and struggled to sit up for a while(yeah that wasn't going to happen). He then shouted at me(literally shouted) to stop resisting. I pointed out that I wasn't, in fact I pointed out that I wasn't even doing Kese Gatame correctly as I was sitting on the floor and not putting weight or pressure on him. At that GBA's eyebrows went up.
                        JJJ Guy then actually asked me what he was doing wrong, and I explained how the sweep was supposed to go down. He then shouted at me(closer to screeching at me) for not correcting him sooner. GBA put an end to it there. He also didn't pass.

One of the KM guys taught low kicks even after GBA specifically instructed the class not to do kicks that would endanger the knees and that doing so would immediately result in failure. So he failed.

I thought elbow escape from mount. Got dinged because I didn't announce my name and style before I started teaching. Fixed it before I got too far in, so it only cost me 2 pts. Explained how mount was dangerous. Got the guy with the longest reach there, showed how I could pound him in the face, but he couldn't touch me. Then explained how we were going to learn how to escape from said position and then time permitting achieve said position ourselves. I then explained how we had to learn two basic movements first, a basic back bridge and hip shrimp. Taught the back bridge taking special care to make sure everyone knew how to do it without putting pressure on the neck or head. GBA really liked that. Had the class practice that 10 times together. Then taught how to shrimp hips. Had the class line up in three lines to practice hip shrimps. Got about a third of the way through the class before GBA called a halt. Got dinged another 2pts for telling a guy something was "wrong" instead of using positive language. Got a 96 overall, only needed a 70. So I'm golden.

The BJJ greenbelt was called on next. Apparently I had taught what she wanted to. She was offered to either continue where I left off or teach some other position and how to escape it. She got hit with a serious case of nerves and stage fright and wound up not teaching anything. Felt bad for her. GBA let me talk to her privately and try to get her head in the game and even give her some ideas. We went out into the hallway. She broke down crying, now she had a case of embarrassment and teenage angst as well, and there was no way she was going back in there to teach. If she didn't teach she was going to g to get a failure and have to arrange a make up test.

Fortunately her club is only a couple blocks from GBA's dojo. So I managed to negotiate that GBA would go to her club and observe her teaching a class there as her practical. When I came back to her with that news she hit me with a hug that nearly choked me out and I had to peel her off me. Feels good to be someone's hero.

After that a lot more Karate. Totally reliving my TKD youth. Then it was over, way early and I am on my way home.
                        Congrats on passing, and providing us and (some) of the rest of the class with entertainment.

I wish I could say that any of my judo coach/teacher certifications were so amusing, but they were not.

I guess we just needed more aikido and ninjutsu...

Comment

I still find is bizarre that in a country that has national service fir everyone, people would be sucked in and defend bullshit. Not saying soldiers are the best fighters in the world but knowing what works and what is fantasy can literally be the difference between living or dying. How is aikido and ninjitsu even a thing over there. Lol im sure michael asks himself the same thing.

Comment

Originally posted by Kravbizarre View Post
                            I still find is bizarre that in a country that has national service fir everyone, people would be sucked in and defend bullshit. Not saying soldiers are the best fighters in the world but knowing what works and what is fantasy can literally be the difference between living or dying. How is aikido and ninjitsu even a thing over there. Lol im sure michael asks himself the same thing.
                            Some people are just really fucking stupid and survive due to luck and the fact that society acts as a crutch for their retardation.

Comment

That was a thoroughly entertaining thread.

Comment

Epic thread with good results! It would've been nice if the BJJ green belt had a chance to choke out some fools too.

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                                X