X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Michael Tzadok
    replied
    Ok so today we are going to talk about two guys, Geeky Ninja(GN from now on) and John Kreese Ninja(JKN hence forth). When we last met GN he got shot down by his love interest and possibly deficated his pants at the the thought of newaza with a genuine BJJ player.

Today we started instructor philosophy, theoretical methodology and liability. So instead of being in rows we formed a circle. GN(who is Booj) backed up by his new best JKN(who is some obscure branch of Koga) decided to renew his suduction attempts and plopped down next to his love interest. In walks the chief instructor and instructor for this part(Kyokushin Red Belt, 4th Dan Judoka, black belt of varying degrees in a few other arts of varying effectiveness, and genuine badass, hereafter GBA). He sees the situation and manuevers a seat between the two. GN proceeds to pout for the next hour and a half.

At this point GBA starts talking about various responsibilities of an instructor, and comes around to honest marketing. He says something along the lines of if you don't have live sparring and go full contact occasionally, you can't genuinely claim to be effective in those sorts of things. GN takes issue with this, and begins to argue about how you can be completely effective even if never pressure tested. This argument goes on for about 15 min until GBA stands up and tells him to stand. GBA then says, "I want you to punch me in the face, don't worry, I won't hurt you, just tap you with my fingers at most". GBA doesn't even bother to put his hands up.
    GN takes his first swing.
    GBA moves faster than any 65ish year old man should legally be allowed to, lets out a yell, and when he stops has is fist about a quarter inch from GN's chin in a nice upper cut that I am fair certain would have knocked GN spark out.
    GBA takes a step back and says try again. GN takes another swing, GBA again slips it, this time dancing around behind GN and slaps him on the back of the head. For the next five minutes until GN concedes that he can't even come close to threatening to make contact with an old man in near tears GBA just keeps dancing behind him at every attempt and slapping him in the back of the head.
    Finally GN concedes that having never had alive training he doesn't even have the footwork necessary to keep his opponent in front of him, and so concedes the point about honesty in marketing.

Fast forward a couple of hours we are talking about legal liability. GBA is telling us about a Kyokushin tourney. He explains how at certain ages certain blows are illegal, namely in the 8yr old division you can't strike to the face or kick a downed opponent. First offense is a warning, second is point, third is a DQ, but if you get hit illegally and can't continue it is a forfeit.

In the 8yr old division one kid is losing his fight. His parents shout "kill him, put him in the ground, do what you have to". So losing kid elbows the other in the face shattering his nose, then kicks him in the head when he is down, necessitating him being airlifted to a hospital.

Broke face kid's parents sue the other kid's instructor, instructor argues that it was the parents who said it and not him, kid will do what his parents say over instructor instructions. Judge agrees awards them 4mil shekel from the unsportsmanlike parents. GBA then tells us that we have to be careful what kind of language we use as we can be held liable.

JKN then asks if it OK to whisper it to his students.

GBA: "Are you serious?"

JKN: "My art is ninjutsu, our philosophy is to win by any means necessary, so of course I'm serious. If I whisper it to my competitors how will anyone know to hold me liable?"

GBA's eyes nearly bug out of his head, and asks him if he is seriously that messed up in the head.(Not his exact words, I was too in shock and trying not to laugh to remember exact words, there may have been some stronger language in there).

JKN just sits there straight faced not realizing that he may have just failed the course.

At which point me and a number of other class members are sitting there wondering WTF is wrong with ninjas.
    Last edited by Michael Tzadok; 5/25/2018 6:41am, .

Leave a comment:

• Michael Tzadok
    replied
    Stay tuned, updates will be incoming today. There has been some hilarity.

Leave a comment:

• BJMills
    replied
    Originally posted by Michael Tzadok View Post
    No update yet, as we are still are in the theoretical portion and haven't gotten to the practical. The anatomy instructor has stopped talking trash on BJJ/GJJ. Though the other students have taken up the cause.

The skinny 30yr old virgin Booj guy was going off today on how GJJ/BJJ is just a weak watered down version of Nin Jutsu and was trying to prove it via Japanese.

The head instructor who is a legit red belt in Mas Oyama lineage and a 4th Dan Judoka, looked at the guy and said, "That's a big strong Jujitsueira sitting there, I sure hope you can back all that up when we get to the practical.". The Ninja went 5 shades paler then he already was.

Leave a comment:

• ksennin
    replied
    Originally posted by ermghoti View Post
    The "equivalence" is in the definitions of blue BJJ and most other black belts. Either confers recognition that the awardee has a working knowledge of the basics of his art, and is competent to assist in instruction. Now, that could apply to knowledge of a useful art, or strip mall grabassery, but that's a separate issue.
    Fair enough. Don't mind me much, I am just being whiny again because I had to assist at a crappy BB test.

Leave a comment:

• Michael Tzadok
    replied
    Originally posted by Shawarma View Post
    I demand an update to this gloriously amusing thread.
    No update yet, as we are still are in the theoretical portion and haven't gotten to the practical. The anatomy instructor has stopped talking trash on BJJ/GJJ. Though the other students have taken up the cause.

The skinny 30yr old virgin Booj guy was going off today on how GJJ/BJJ is just a weak watered down version of Nin Jutsu and was trying to prove it via Japanese.

The head instructor who is a legit red belt in Mas Oyama lineage and a 4th Dan Judoka, looked at the guy and said, "That's a big strong Jujitsueira sitting there, I sure hope you can back all that up when we get to the practical.". The Ninja went 5 shades paler then he already was.

Leave a comment:

• Shawarma
    replied
    I demand an update to this gloriously amusing thread.

Leave a comment:

• ermghoti
    replied
    Originally posted by ksennin View Post
    Sounds like a conservative equivalence. The last two guys I saw get a black belt in karate could not beat a two-stripe white in BJJ. Maybe not even a one-stripe white.
    The "equivalence" is in the definitions of blue BJJ and most other black belts. Either confers recognition that the awardee has a working knowledge of the basics of his art, and is competent to assist in instruction. Now, that could apply to knowledge of a useful art, or strip mall grabassery, but that's a separate issue.

Leave a comment:

• ksennin
    replied
    I think it was back in the early 90s that I met at Uni some guy who was a brown belt at a local school and was interested in sparring. I dropped him to his knees and put a hadaka jime on him.
    The guy started flailing and saying that it was over, that he quit. I told him it was training and that I would not choke him, that he had to try to get out, or throw me over. He would not even try even as I told him how exactly to do it.

This was not the only such incident I had.

There is, IMO, a basic aversion in many striking practitioners, even if not fully mcdojoist, to any actual close-quarters contact during sparring or training. Some kind of phobia about being grabbed and controlled. And they are willing to believe any BS mumbo jumbo that tells them they can keep a fight away from that uncomfortable close-up range.

Leave a comment:

• ksennin
    replied
    The ministry of sport, however, has decided that a BJJ blue belt is equal to a black belt in other martial arts.
    Sounds like a conservative equivalence. The last two guys I saw get a black belt in karate could not beat a two-stripe white in BJJ. Maybe not even a one-stripe white.

Leave a comment:

• ksennin
    replied
    Originally posted by NeilG View Post
    I have seen guys that are just plain hard to choke. Got nothing to do with cardio, more neck structure/musculature.
    I am very hard to choke for newbies. I used to do a lot of neck strenghtening exercises (that probably crushed my disks and did me horrible damage which is why I can barely walks nowadays), like doing lots of bridging supported on the head and not the arms. I would also do tensioning of the front neck so that you can not seize my adam's apple easily and can take moderate strikes to the neck. When the newbies try to do chokes I just let them wear themselves out.

Then the higher colored belts do it and I tap quickly. The inexperienced just do not do the chokes correctly and that is why I can do the iron man bs.

Leave a comment:

• Raycetpfl
    replied
    Originally posted by Ulsteryank View Post
    Nice one, but that's no Marine. Whoever made the vid caption doesn't know the difference in uniform.
    Airman

Leave a comment:

• Michael Tzadok
    replied
    At the conclusion of the course you get two certificates. The first is the Basic Martial Arts Trainer/Coach certificate. The second certificate is in the particular recognized combat sport that you desire to teach. So for instance when I'm done I'll have the Basic Martial Arts Trainer cert and a Brazillian Jiu Jitsu Instructor Cert. That will allow me to teach Brazillian Jiu Jitsu legally and be fully insured. You can apply to be tested in your ability to instruct 1 branch of martial arts per year. As of 2016 Olympic Sports such as Judo, Wrestling and Boxing are now governed by their own leagues and the IsOC. MMA isn't one of the recognized branches of martial arts, you would have to have an instructor cert in the various sports that make it up, usually BJJ and Kickboxing.

Leave a comment:

• Kravbizarre
    replied
    Whats this course allow you to do michael? Teach mma?

An rnc is pretty clear cut kinda choke, like if the arms are positioned then your screwed. Its not like a triangle choke where you can be in position but sometimes need to adjust something. Everyone knows the rnc like you cant misunderstand it, there are alot of bullshit escapes for it but regardless of that its because people understand that its dangerous.

The misinterpretation with grappling arts is people only see the ground work and dont understand it. The biggest thing they dont see is when someone gets taken down. They’ll be in for a shock when you rip their legs out from under them,the psychological effect is massive too. My first one sort of went like this:

* room spinning, me seeing the roof, my body hitting the mats, fear, “wtf just happened”, “ohh shit”, other person establishes control, feel their weight, “mum help!”*.

Ive been doing alot of double leg practice lately with one of the purple belts. Ive gotten better because he’s helped me alot. What i learnt is if you have even 1 leg and drive hard, even if they try to sprall or hop for balance they will eventually topple if you are committed. No secret kung fu, no deadly street art tech will stop this. Only option is get ready to break fall and try to recover/escape.

In the science community when ever somone makes a claim or theory its backed by research they have conducted on the topic. In the MA world for some reason this never happens when somone makes unorthodox claims (like the rnc thing).

Leave a comment:

• Ulsteryank
    replied
    Clearly this US Marine needs to work on his cardio:
    Nice one, but that's no Marine. Whoever made the vid caption doesn't know the difference in uniform.

Leave a comment:

• Michael Tzadok
    replied
    Originally posted by ermghoti View Post
    "Don't worry, bro. It's not going to take anywhere near two minutes. You're going to be unconscious before you can say 'this class is a total waste of everyone's time, and you should disregard everything being taught if you don't want to get killed.'"
    LOLOLOLOLOL... Yeah but then I would probably get kicked out with prejudice.

That's the thing it isn't all total garbage. Some of it is solid information(so far just basic anatomy and physiology. The First Aid part is going to be taught by the MDA(Israeli Red Cross) folks, so that will be solid. I don't know about the training theory and psych parts will go... I'm sure if it is horseshit I'll share it here. Though those parts will be taught by a different instructor. Each has to be taught by someone with the credentials to be considered a subject matter expert.

The most awkward part will be being the only blue belt in the room when we hit the practical. All other martial arts you have to be Black Belt to qualify for the course. The ministry of sport, however, has decided that a BJJ blue belt is equal to a black belt in other martial arts.

Leave a comment:

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
X